20th March is a magic date

Seems that,after Thai immigration had announced this date as the last chance to clear overstay,all overstayer are doing the right thing.And,as i am in Phuket at the moment,some of them are asking my suggestion how to sort out the problem.The last one just appear few hours ago,asking me which is the best solution from Phuket to solve a 11 months overstay and which suggested visa will be better to ask.As he is not married i think the tourist visa is the only one.But from Phuket where to fly?

Been a lot of people asking on this forum on what to about what to do. Some with much more than the 90 day banning number.

From Phuket getting a flight to Penang would be the best place.

Agreed. A flight to Penang would be the best option from Phuket.

We just received a phone call from Nong Khai Immigration saying that there is a meeting for all Farang in Nong Khai on the 19th. They will be giving a briefing on the new rules regarding overstays.

And checking everybody's passport to make sure of their existing compliance :)

• Like 1

We just received a phone call from Nong Khai Immigration saying that there is a meeting for all Farang in Nong Khai on the 19th. They will be giving a briefing on the new rules regarding overstays.

I do not believe the overstayers will attend !

• Like 1

And checking everybody's passport to make sure of their existing compliance smile.png

If they have a phone number to call that means they already have access to their records.

• Like 2

Been a lot of people asking on this forum on what to about what to do. Some with much more than the 90 day banning number.

Book in time, Might be busy. biggrin.png

If they have a phone number to call that means they already have access to their records.

Yea you're right haven't thought of it like that. :)

But why would they be educating people that are already in compliance...

They really have too much time in their hands.

Yea you're right haven't thought of it like that. smile.png

But why would they be educating people that are already in compliance...

They really have too much time in their hands.

Perhaps for the same reason I have had to sign an acknowledgement of overstay rules that did not really exist for the past 2 years (2014/2015) when I applied for my extension.

Maybe they are going to inform people of the actual rules.

OP I for one have supported and encouraged anyone on overstay to clear it up before march 20. Reading your post about the "friend " asking for advise with about a week left means this........

He will not clear overstay. This change has been on notice for quite some time and he asking you to sus out his options. Won't happen

OP I for one have supported and encouraged anyone on overstay to clear it up before march 20. Reading your post about the "friend " asking for advise with about a week left means this........

He will not clear overstay. This change has been on notice for quite some time and he asking you to sus out his options. Won't happen

I don't know exactly what they are thinking leaving it for the last day, but understanding some of the logic for people that overstay, I would say they're either not taking it seriously or they want to get more free time in a cost efficient way. Why would they clear it in February when they can clear it in March.

I'm just guessing.

Putting the best spin on this, and bearing in mind the vicinity of the Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai immigration may want to give those on overstay a final chance for a border hop to get legal. This, in addition of course, to making it clear that future overstays are a serious business. The choice of March 19 over March 20 makes be think they are trying to be nice.

• Like 1

Yea I mean apart from the inflamatory threads that keep popping up on Thai Visa, why does it seem to me that the overstayers are mostly considered criminals by some posters here, but when they go and clear their overstay they are treated very nicely by Immigration?

Heard many reports confirming this.

Strange huh?

Yea I mean apart from the inflamatory threads that keep popping up on Thai Visa, why does it seem to me that the overstayers are mostly considered criminals by some posters here, but when they go and clear their overstay they are treated very nicely by Immigration?

Strange huh?

Not strange in the least, overstayers are breaking the law, they can end up in court in front of a judge and be locked up, ergo they are criminals, the thb 20k fine thing is an addmission of guilt fine thats all,

i think you are getting confused between getting treated professionally and being treated nicely

Who is "we" ?

Do they only want Western caucasians to attend, or did you mean "foreigners" ?

Who is "we" ?

Do they only want Western caucasians to attend, or did you mean "foreigners" ?

As my first wife intercepted the phone call from immigration, I am using the "Royal" "We" to refer to myself and aforesaid wife. They want me to attend, and I posted the fact that I had received a phone call as a heads up to other members. They asked me, specifically, to tell any other "Farang" in the town that I knew, about the meeting.

I doubt there will be many Lao, Myanmar migrant workers attending the Assawan hotel on the 19th.

I hadn't heard of concept of helpline. I think that's a great idea. I know one friend in particular that cannot access things like advice from thaivisa. Very clever guy but basically illiterate. Some people need assistance beyond looking up Google.

• Like 1

How does a flight to Penang help at all when you can only apply for a tourist visa from the country of your passport? And you need employment letter and 200k in the bank? Or have those rules changed again also?

How does a flight to Penang help at all when you can only apply for a tourist visa from the country of your passport? And you need employment letter and 200k in the bank? Or have those rules changed again also?

You seem to writing about the requirements to get a multiple entry tourist visa not a single entry visa. A single entry tourist visa can be obtained in Penang without those requirements.

Only those that are on the list of countries that can only apply for any visa in their home country would have a problem getting a single entry visa.

What changes first of all the "only apply from country of your passport" I can only assume your thinking about METV. NO rules have changed except for end of double and trippe TV. Your post is bit confused.

Strange huh?

The Thai immigration overstay sections that deal with over stayers do so on a daily basis and thats alll they deal with .Its quite comical to imagine the Thai immigration overstay office getting angry every time an overstayer walks through the door , multiple times a day

Thats a Monty Python script that was never written :)

Strange huh?

The Thai immigration overstay sections that deal with over stayers do so on a daily basis and thats alll they deal with .Its quite comical to imagine the Thai immigration overstay office getting angry every time an overstayer walks through the door , multiple times a day

Thats a Monty Python script that was never written :)

Your correct Luke. In fact reports on related threads from people clearing overstay, some long, being treated with manners and easy process.

I guess another reason to sort overstay out quickly. You won't walk over hot coals and will leave with fingernails still in place

You seem to writing about the requirements to get a multiple entry tourist visa not a single entry visa. A single entry tourist visa can be obtained in Penang without those requirements.

Only those that are on the list of countries that can only apply for any visa in their home country would have a problem getting a single entry visa.

Oh sorry, my bad! I automatically assumed metv but off course there's the single entry one now I guess. Before I went to Vientiane and wrote 2 or even 3 entries on the form, but now I guess can only do one.