Is loving your country and wanting it to remain the same a bad thing?

Inspire

I am just back in my hometown Melbourne. I live in Thailand. We have a long weekend here and last night Saturday there was a riot in the CBD where families were gathered for what we call Moomba celebrations. This was organized via social media. The two gangs totaled 200. One group were SUDANESE. the other islanders from outside OZ.

You can't help people living here all our lives being outraged. They have also been involved in numerous car jackings. Something very new to AU.

People wonder why there is short fuse towards people that Au has welcomed and we receive this as a thankyou. Thugs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might add they promise more disruption tonight.

Doubt the cowards will as au police will be out to ensure law and order. Sadly a concept that some countries are not afforded

Edited by jacksam

I am quite sure Americans would welcome Mexicans to the USA under the same requirements

and restrictions Thailand places on its tourists and expats. coffee1.gif

Edited by Ulic

I am just back in my hometown Melbourne. I live in Thailand. We have a long weekend here and last night Saturday there was a riot in the CBD where families were gathered for what we call Moomba celebrations. This was organized via social media. The two gangs totaled 200. One group were SUDANESE. the other islanders from outside OZ.

You can't help people living here all our lives being outraged. They have also been involved in numerous car jackings. Something very new to AU.

People wonder why there is short fuse towards people that Au has welcomed and we receive this as a thankyou. Thugs

The do-gooder pcidiots that brought these type of people to Aust should be prosecuted.

They are all keeping a low profile now.

l am living in someone else's country & l am behaving myself & not breaking any laws.

Why can't these people?

lf someone wants to define these comments as racist, go right ahead.

lt matters not a whit to me.

How about long term Moslems in the U.S. are like long term tourists in Thailand? Or illegal immigrants (that does include overstays) are the same in all counties?

Haven't seen Trump say anything about muslims already inside USA. But then again, i don't have time to sit and read "news" 5 hours a day so might have missed it.

The legal ones in either country are no the problem, but the illegal ones are pretty much the same. They stay and try to work illegally, they do not abide by the immigration laws, they get involved in many illegal activities, they do not try to learn our language, they do not share the same culture, they make far too many babies and don't take care of them, their very presence is a blight on the neighborhood--yeah, pretty much the same thing.

Never said that illegal aliens in any country should be tolerated. They should be deported on the first plane back to whatever shithole they came from.

So now illegal mexicans in USA is the same as legal long time "tourists" in Thailand? Ok... gotcha!

You should in include all the over-stayers who are coming out of the woodwork now and those who work illegally and those who use "special agents" to circumvent immigration regulations and those who have exploited such options as the Ed visa or extension while having no interest in learning anything and often not showing up for classes, etc. The distinction between legal and illegal isn't always clear cut. Lacking the minimal financial requirements for a long stay means you're essentially an economic refugee.

And on the other side, many US citizens or those who are otherwise legally in the US are harassed by law enforcement or self-appointed vigilantes simply because they appear to be Hispanic or Indian or Arabic or ...

Rubio, Bush and Cruz have recent family links to immigrants and, for that matter, most US citizens of numerous generations still connect in some way to our heritage in another country. But the GOP candidates only cautiously veer from the right-wing philosophy that all immigration is to be regarded as suspect. Not a problem if that's a connection to a European country, but anyone whose skin isn't lilly white or anyone who otherwise doesn't fit the WASP profile will always be viewed with some suspicion.

During World War II we fought the Germans, the Italians, the Japanese ... but guess which American citizens were the only ones in the US who had their property confiscated and who were herded into concentration camps.

If anyone is illegally in a country they should be deported and that is exactly what always happens with illegal aliens in Thailand but that is not always the case in USA. Not defending it but an english teacher working illegally in Thailand is doing infinitely more for Thailand than the illegal alien from Mexico cleaning toilets is. But nontheless they should be immediatelly deported to whatever country they have a passport from. And if you have a visa to Thailand, regardless which it is, you are legally in Thailand. It really doesn't matter if it's an ED visa or not.

And why are you comparing (confusing?) immigrants with US citizenship with illegal immigrants (third paragraph)?

But yeah... your entire reply is a typical SJW "bad bad bad white devils".

isn’t this exactly what he (Trump) is advocating they do in the US? In a word...NO! Not at all...

Trump is talking about doing something about "illegal" immigration...the US still encourages legal immigrants to go thru the vetting process to become citizens...

Legal immigrants are accepted and encouraged to assimilate into American society and culture...not so in Thailand...

Thais not seeing things from our point of view, Thais could learn so much from us".

Typical American. Exactly why I live here. I can't stand the typical American. Always thinking they know best. If you don't do it like we are, you're doing it wrong. CAN'T STAND IT. In reality, the US could actually learn alot from Thailand, but that is a lost cause.

At the risk of sounding cliched, nothing is the same as we think it was or is, and things always change. Would you really like your own country the way it was a half century ago? Things change because of people complaining, and then doing something about it. As for Mexicans and westerners in Thailand, both are necessary for their respective societies. Trump made his money from cheap Mexican labour (and Chinese, etc). Thailand would collapse a day after all western expats pulled out (umm - experience is a harsh teacher).

You are wrong in this, Thailand doesn't need the Western ex-pats. We are tolerated as long as we spend money here.

If we would be needed they would invite us, make long stay visa requirements easy and pay our airplane ticket and housing.

Tourism is a major important income for the Thais, but the Chinese are replacing us....maybe they spend less but they are in greater numbers.

Best regards.

So how much in income and assets in the bank does a falang need to prove in order to retire in Thailand? And how much do you suppose the average Mexican fence climber has in his pockets?

It is obvious that the "Mexican fence climber" will contribute much more to the economy than the retired and decrepit farang. He is young and wants to work contributing his skills and paying his taxes into the economy. If there wasn't a demand for these Mexican workers they would not be coming. There is no demand for a retired farang whose contribution to the Thai economy is negligible or marginal at best.

I have no problem with a country evolving and again no problem with a limited number of people from other country's moving in to live ,but when they come in their hundreds of thousands and want the country that they settle in the same as theirs and expect to get benefits that they never paid in for ,then I for one don't want them and would not let them in ,and yes I know lots of guys over here say they wish that Thailand was more like back home,but a few guys sitting on barstools moaning is vastly different from the rhetoric we hear from the Muslim hoards that are invading the west,bringing their disgusting ways with them

Dunno,

I'm going back to the UK after my current 7 year holiday in Thailand.

(I only came out here for 3 weeks, but stayed on a while)

But already thinking the country I remember has gone.

Dead right ,it has,every year I see it go down and down, in my old home town you hardly ever hear English spoken any longer

For certain EU countries, the answer to this question would be no, it isn't a bad thing. In the case of Thailand, where change is needed, the answer would be yes - in my opinion.

You think certain European countries don't need to change? They're near utopia - which ones would they be then?

Thailand, as all countries, needs change. But managed change. Certainly not letting foreigners pour in and screw it like many have done to their own country.

Glad you aren't teaching my kids.

Dunno,

I'm going back to the UK after my current 7 year holiday in Thailand.

(I only came out here for 3 weeks, but stayed on a while)

But already thinking the country I remember has gone.

Good luck with that mate. Hope you've been brushing up on your PC'ness and expect little help and lot's of bureaucracy from all levels of government and civil service (more like no service!).

You think certain European countries don't need to change? They're near utopia - which ones would they be then?

France,

The bread, cheese, food and wine I remember were pretty damned good.

Spain,

The food and wine was also very good, and the med sea and beaches almost perfect (mostly memories from the 60s and 70s).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Not defending it but an english teacher working illegally in Thailand is doing infinitely more for Thailand than the illegal alien from Mexico cleaning toilets is. But nontheless they should be immediatelly deported

to whatever country they have a passport from. And if you have a visa to Thailand, regardless which it is, you are legally in Thailand. It really doesn't matter if it's an ED visa or not.

No, but you're excusing it, aren't you?

You're more or less saying a farang illegal in Thailand is somehow more respectable than a Mexican illegal in the US.

You cast the farang in a faux-respectable light as a so-called "teacher" and the Mexican as a toilet cleaner when, often, the farang illegal is a deadbeat on the run from the law in his own

country while the Mexican is, often a carer. Tacking on the "both should be deported" statement at the end is a smokescreen.

Your bigotry is as clear as a bell

Cue the predictable AWM insults

Not defending it but an english teacher working illegally in Thailand is doing infinitely more for Thailand than the illegal alien from Mexico cleaning toilets is. But nontheless they should be immediatelly deported

to whatever country they have a passport from. And if you have a visa to Thailand, regardless which it is, you are legally in Thailand. It really doesn't matter if it's an ED visa or not.

You're more or less saying a farang illegal in Thailand is somehow more respectable than a Mexican illegal in the US.

You cast the farang in a faux-respectable light as a so-called "teacher" and the Mexican as a toilet cleaner when, often, the farang illegal is a deadbeat on the run from the law in his own

country while the Mexican is, often a carer. Tacking on the "both should be deported" statement at the end is a smokescreen.

Nope, not excusing it, maybe reread what i wrote? You don't seem to understand that you don't actually have to be a "farang" to be a native english speaker or even teacher in Thailand.

Now... run back to your Bernie Sanders rallies and continue your hate crusade against white people.

Nope, not excusing it, maybe reread what i wrote? You don't seem to understand that you don't actually have to be a "farang" to be a native english speaker or even teacher in Thailand.

Now... run back to your Bernie Sanders rallies and continue your hate crusade against white people.

Depends on what you think "farang" is meant to represent.

For every whiner choosing to interpret it as a derogatory term for a white person in an insignificant developing SE Asian country, there is one who knows it means "foreigner"

In any case, it was narrow-minded to assume I was using the term "farang" to denote white people - maybe get that chip on your shoulder seen to and stop pretending to be so persecuted

For every whiner choosing to interpret it as a derogatory term for a white person in an insignificant developing SE Asian country, there is one who knows it means "foreigner"

Well it certainly doesn't mean, Chinese (Jin), Korean (Gowlee), Japanese (Nippon), African (Neego), Arab or Indian (Kairk).

And as far as I know they are all foreigners!

Well it certainly doesn't mean, Chinese (Jin), Korean (Gowlee), Japanese (Nippon), African (Neego), Arab or Indian (Kairk).

And as far as I know they are all foreigners!

Just because some Thais use it to describe Caucasians doesn't mean they all do.

Some call blacks "farang dam"

So if there's confusion even among the Thais over its meaning, where do the whiners get off insisting it's an insulting term to describe white folk

So if there's confusion even among the Thais over its meaning, where do the whiners get off insisting it's an insulting term to describe white folk

In Central Thai, it's Farang

If you speak Laos, it's Bak seedar

And Lanna, it's Ma Gairl

Which all happen to be the local names for a fruit we call Gauva, which happens to have white flesh.

So chances are it's a way to describe white folk.

Insulting or not.

When you add to that the fact that people in Thailand are made up from many assorted tribes (I believe in excess of 40), all with their own languages, and most are poorly educated, about half the population can't even read or write. It's hardly surprising that they can't agree among themselves either.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

In Central Thai, it's Farang

If you speak Laos, it's Bak seedar

And Lanna, it's Ma Gairl

Which all happen to be the local names for a fruit we call Gauva, which happens to have white flesh.

So chances are it's a way to describe white folk.

Insulting or not.

When you add to that the fact that people in Thailand are made up from many assorted tribes (I believe in excess of 40), all with their own languages, and most are poorly educated, about half the population can't even read or write. It's hardly surprising that they can't agree among themselves either.

So you define the term for them?

How magnanimous of you

Depends on what you think "farang" is meant to represent.

In any case, it was narrow-minded to assume I was using the term "farang" to denote white people - maybe get that chip on your shoulder seen to and stop pretending to be so persecuted

I know, unlike you, that there is actually a word for "foreigner" in the thai language and it certainly isn't "farang". But yeah... just continue with your hate against white people, i bet you sleep better that way :)