Work Permit to be expire. What now? Urgent

Hi. Likely early next month, my work permit will expire and not be renewed. I'm living here on a non-b visa (extention), have a Thai wife and kids with her.

My yearly VISA extention will expire too, normally a day later than my work permit does. So what to do. I'm not particular healthy to make visa runs again after 20 years and crossing borders per bus/car/plane would be very difficult.

Of course, I also do not have 400K to secure a yearly extention of my Visa.

So what to do? Change my current visa to a non-o? Be a tourist again? Be a monk? What other choices do I have? Naturally, I do not want to leave my family; and going back to Europe is out of question.

And just in case I do have to leave in Thailand (and perhaps have to live somewhere else), what is recommend: Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam? Or even Malaysia? Any particular place? I would need to live on a budget string until I can recover from the blow of being out of work by then.

Still thinking about alternatives here

Currently, I do stay in BKK.

What would you do right now? Your opinions are very much appreciated.

If you can not afford the 400k in bank method and do not have employment a multi entry non immigrant O visa issued in Laos is likely your best option until your situation improves. This will require some border crossings/60 day extensions but should be viable for immediate future.

Cambodia is an easy country to stay currently and not too high priced if it comes to that.

Without 1 year extension of stay options you are left with visas and border hops. Tourist visas are not really a long term option.

You can easily get a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa based on marriage from Savannakhet, Laos without any financial proof. You would need to take your original marriage certificate.

• Every time you enter you are granted a 90 day permit to stay.
  • At the end of every 90 days you need to exit and can immediately re-enter for a another 90 days.
  • A 60 day extension of stay is available to visit your wife. You can apply for this extension once for every 90 day entry. Using an extension of stay gives you nearly 5 months between border hops.
  • If you enter just before the 'enter before' date (visas expiry date) you get another 90 days even though the visa expires when you're in the country. You can also extend that by 60 days making it possible to stay nearly 17 months before needing a new visa or 1 year extension of stay.

When your work permit is cancelled you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife (1,900 baht). That would buy you some time.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

The only realistic option you have is to secure a one year multiple entry "O" visa based on marriage from Savannakhet (Laos). Currently no finances are required.

The visa provides 90 day entries each of which can be extended by 60 days (to visit your wife) thereafter a border run to get another 90 day entry will be required.

• Like 1

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife now. No need to leave the country immediately when your extension ends. You will need a termination letter from you employer to cancel your extension.

Your wife will will need to be with you and have your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Thanks all for the feedback. It seems I do have some options here.

A few more questions, though (for now): If the employer does NOT send an termination letter to me, where do I stand than? Both, the VISA & Work Permit will expire beginning next months, first WP and a day later my 1 year extention permit.

Can I go (latest) on the last day of my permit to stay in Thailand to extend it in Bangkok for another 60 days? Or is the permit to stay already expired when the WP epires a day before? Do I need to change my type of VISA for the new period (of 60 days) or can I still go along with my current non-B?

Finally, as I remember, the company must employ me for another 30 days (in any way; as I'm being employed since a long time) latest after the WP expires? Usually, that goes along with the termination letter. But what if the company just do not renew my WP? And don't sent a letter? I know, it is a little bit complicated, but maybe someone has some ideas here too. Thanks thinking about it.

A few more questions, though (for now): If the employer does NOT send an termination letter to me, where do I stand than? Both, the VISA & Work Permit will expire beginning next months, first WP and a day later my 1 year extention permit.

Can I go (latest) on the last day of my permit to stay in Thailand to extend it in Bangkok for another 60 days? Or is the permit to stay already expired when the WP epires a day before? Do I need to change my type of VISA for the new period (of 60 days) or can I still go along with my current non-B?

Finally, as I remember, the company must employ me for another 30 days (in any way; as I'm being employed since a long time) latest after the WP expires? Usually, that goes along with the termination letter. But what if the company just do not renew my WP? And don't sent a letter? I know, it is a little bit complicated, but maybe someone has some ideas here too. Thanks thinking about it.

You could get the extension of day your extension ends. The might even do it earlier without the termination letter.

You have certain legal rights. The have to give you 30 days notice and you are eligible to severance pay based upon long you have been working.

See section 118 of the Labour Protection Act for severance pay info. http://thailawonline.com/en/thai-laws/laws-of-thailand/105-labor-protection-act-be-2541-1998-.html

• Like 1

Op, your best option is Sawannakhet and go for a Non-O, based on your marriage.

Best of luck. You're not the only one in such a situation.

Thanks. Oh yes, I fear that is the case for many. Doesn't help me a lot, though. But I never have been in Laos, so it might be new adventure. Still, I'm not very fit to travel so far after my heart operation so many years ago.

When your work permit expires, your visa expires as well. You’ll need a cancellation letter from your employer, otherwise you could easily be on an overstay without even knowing it.

Your type of visa can’t be a Non-B because you’re not employed anymore, you’ll have to apply for a Non-O, based on your marriage.

No idea if the company must employ you for another 30 days, is it possible that you’ll just receive a one-month salary? I don’t think that your company will renew your work permit, you need the termination letter from your employer to cancel your extension of stay and to cancel your work permit.

If you don’t do that and try to leave the country to let’s say apply for a Non-O in Sawannakhet, they might (will) send you back to do both cancellations first.

Best of luck.

Thanks. Oh yes, I fear that is the case for many. Doesn't help me a lot, though. But I never have been in Laos, so it might be new adventure. Still, I'm not very fit to travel so far after my heart operation so many years ago.

Sorry, just read your last post. You could also get an extension based on your health issues at your local Immigration.

I know of a German guy who had serious health issues and the Immigration only wanted to see some photographs of him in bed. Would a Thai doctor write a medical statement that you're not able to travel, it could help you to be able to stay here for some years.

I hope that some more knowledgeable guys on this forum can tell you more about this procedure. Take care.

P.S. Regarding a via trip to Laos/sawannakhet. You usually have to stay there one night and pick your passport with visa up the next day.

But if you can show a letter from a doctor stating your health issues, you'll be able to pick your passport up on the same day.

A man who had a stroke just did that about a week ago. I hope you'll find the right way that suits you best.

Edited by lostinisaan

• You currently do not have a valid visa. You have a 1 year extension of stay (permit) based on work.
  • When your work permit is cancelled the permit to stay becomes void and you should leave the country or apply for a new extension of stay. Immigration usually want a termination letter before granting a new 1 year extension of stay.
  • A 60 day extension is based on visiting your wife and a termination letter might not be needed. The 60 days would apply from the day your current permit to stay ends or is cancelled.
  • Like 1

When your work permit expires, your visa expires as well. You’ll need a cancellation letter from your employer, otherwise you could easily be on an overstay without even knowing it.

Your type of visa can’t be a Non-B because you’re not employed anymore, you’ll have to apply for a Non-O, based on your marriage.

No idea if the company must employ you for another 30 days, is it possible that you’ll just receive a one-month salary? I don’t think that your company will renew your work permit, you need the termination letter from your employer to cancel your extension of stay and to cancel your work permit.

If you don’t do that and try to leave the country to let’s say apply for a Non-O in Sawannakhet, they might (will) send you back to do both cancellations first.

Best of luck.

If you are employed for many years,a company in Thailand can't just close the doors. Depending on the past employment period, they have give you a warning, that is max 30 days after having sent the termination letter. In Europe it is perhaps up to 6 months (for both sides) but in Thailand, neverthelss, it is max 30 days. That said, based on my expiration dates of WP & Stay in Thailand, it is almost the same day. But you have right, if the WP expires, so likely (sure) the permit to stay in Thailand,too. But not sure why a termination letter is still required IF both dates have practically expired the same day and likely already when having entered LAOS.

Sorry, just read your last post. You could also get an extension based on your health issues at your local Immigration.

I know of a German guy who had serious health issues and the Immigration only wanted to see some photographs of him in bed. Would a Thai doctor write a medical statement that you're not able to travel, it could help you to be able to stay here for some years.

I hope that some more knowledgeable guys on this forum can tell you more about this procedure. Take care.

P.S. Regarding a via trip to Laos/sawannakhet. You usually have to stay there one night and pick your passport with visa up the next day.

But if you can show a letter from a doctor stating your health issues, you'll be able to pick your passport up on the same day.

A man who had a stroke just did that about a week ago. I hope you'll find the right way that suits you best.

A medical extension is given for a max of 90 days it requires

A letter from a Hospital Doctor that states

1. The patient is unable to travel.
  2. The nature of the illness/disability
  3. Provides confirmation of on going treatment being provided
  4. A prognosis ( How long the problem is expected to last.

A new hospital letter is required every 90 days.

• Like 2

Sunny, thanks for that tip. While I can work at a place, I do have trouble to travel around.. such as been long in a car or train or just have to wait in long queues, possible even in sun. I will talk with my Dr.!

Every tip in this forum helps a lot. When I was young I traveld to Malaysia (visa-runs), but now, traveling got realy complicated (as much as I love sightseeing!)

I do not stay in bed, for that matter, but I hardly go out long distance, except to get my meds and some check-ups.

Just to mention it here, I'm glad the Thai doctors could safe my life. They done an excellent operation!

Sunny, thanks for that tip. While I can work at a place, I do have trouble to travel around.. such as been long in a car or train or just have to wait in long queues, possible even in sun. I will talk with my Dr.!

Every tip in this forum helps a lot. When I was young I traveld to Malaysia (visa-runs), but now, traveling got realy complicated (as much as I love sightseeing!)

I do not stay in bed, for that matter, but I hardly go out long distance, except to get my meds and some check-ups.

Just to mention it here, I'm glad the Thai doctors could safe my life. They done an excellent operation!

Be aware !

The medical extension is unlikely to provide a long term solution.

Some immigration offices have a proforma they require completing by a hospital doctor.

Also be conscious of the fact that "being unable to travel" may be interpreted very strictly.

Everything in Thailand seems only be a temporarly solution. But yes, I'm aware that Thais would not accept this ongoing. I believe I must even have great luck that they accept it once.

I think I try to extent my Visa in BKK the day it expires on ground of 'visiting my wife'. That would me give 60 days. Can this be extended one time (30 days) more, or do I have to leave the country after those two months?

I got once an annual extention granted based on my kids and my age, no financial questions were ask. But a year later, the Thais changed the law back again. Since then, money were needed to show it as it is now.

Everything in Thailand seems only be a temporarly solution. But yes, I'm aware that Thais would not accept this ongoing. I believe I must even have great luck that they accept it once.

I think I try to extent my Visa in BKK the day it expires on ground of 'visiting my wife'. That would me give 60 days. Can this be extended one time (30 days) more, or do I have to leave the country after those two months?

I got once an annual extention granted based on my kids and my age, no financial questions were ask. But a year later, the Thais changed the law back again. Since then, money were needed to show it as it is now.

You can only get the 60 day extension then you will have to leave the country. The best option after that is the multiple entry non-o visa.

As said Savannakhet ask for no financial proof. Penang will do one if you have at least 100k baht in the bank.

When you apply for the 60 day extension your wife will need to be with you and you'll need:-

• Form TM7.
  • Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, last visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • Maybe form TM30. (This is the form used by the owner/house-master of the address you live at to report you are staying with them.)
  • 1,900 baht.
  • Forms can be downloaded from here. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download
  • Like 1

No offence against the OP but surely after 20 years of being and working in Thailand you could have managed to save the 400000b required for a non o based upon marriage. Just saying.

Sometimes I do think the same. But life is life. Feeding and educating my three kids was never easy, but it paid of. One of them is just finishing her computer science degree and prepares for future master classes.

That makes me happy and the money lost in the process is secondary. After over 20 years, my family is still together. I even have a grandson now ;)

• Like 2

Just one more querstion: I think it was 1 year ago that I had to sign a paper at the immigration that if I extent the visa based on 'marriage', I had to show BHT400K+

Now, if I change my non-B VISA to a non-O and like to extend based on 'visiting thai wife', does this rule still apply? Do I need to show any income for the expected 60 days extention?

I like to add why I don't have 400K: I remembering almost having died after my heart problems. While that got solved, I was never again so fit to just folllow my career dreams. With a damaged heart, you just can't do it anymore. I wish everyone NOT ever have any heart problems. But, I could give my kids some education and they are all on the way positively of their own.

For the 60 day extension no finances need to be shown.

The financial requirement for an extension of stay based on marriage is 400,000 in the bank OR a certified monthly income of 40,000.

A multiple entry "O" visa obtained from Savannakhet currently requires no finances to be shown

• Like 1

Just one more querstion: I think it was 1 year ago that I had to sign a paper at the immigration that if I extent the visa based on 'marriage', I had to show BHT400K+

Now, if I change my non-B VISA to a non-O and like to extend based on 'visiting thai wife', does this rule still apply? Do I need to show any income for the expected 60 days extention?

No you don't need to show income for the 60 day extension.

You aren't changing your visa as you don't have one. You currently have permission to stay in the country and all you are doing is asking to extend that permission by 60 days to visit your wife.

• Like 1

Actually the last change to the police order brought that option back. But not sure how it would be done.

The line in bold and the one under might give you some more option since your children might be old enough to support you or they might take your medical condition into consideration. This from clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.
For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis."

When your work permit expires, your visa expires as well. Youll need a cancellation letter from your employer, otherwise you could easily be on an overstay without even knowing it.

Your type of visa cant be a Non-B because youre not employed anymore, youll have to apply for a Non-O, based on your marriage.

No idea if the company must employ you for another 30 days, is it possible that youll just receive a one-month salary? I dont think that your company will renew your work permit, you need the termination letter from your employer to cancel your extension of stay and to cancel your work permit.

If you dont do that and try to leave the country to lets say apply for a Non-O in Sawannakhet, they might (will) send you back to do both cancellations first.

Best of luck.

If you are employed for many years,a company in Thailand can't just close the doors. Depending on the past employment period, they have give you a warning, that is max 30 days after having sent the termination letter. In Europe it is perhaps up to 6 months (for both sides) but in Thailand, neverthelss, it is max 30 days. That said, based on my expiration dates of WP & Stay in Thailand, it is almost the same day. But you have right, if the WP expires, so likely (sure) the permit to stay in Thailand,too. But not sure why a termination letter is still required IF both dates have practically expired the same day and likely already when having entered LAOS.

I am also trying to make any sense out of this but really it doesnt...so if you leave the country on the last day your permit expires they might not let you out if you have no termination letter from employer..if you wait one more day you are on overstay...so what are you supposed to do if your employer does not cooperate or if simply you do not want to get the employer involved?
  • Like 1

When your work permit expires, your visa expires as well. Youll need a cancellation letter from your employer, otherwise you could easily be on an overstay without even knowing it.

Your type of visa cant be a Non-B because youre not employed anymore, youll have to apply for a Non-O, based on your marriage.

No idea if the company must employ you for another 30 days, is it possible that youll just receive a one-month salary? I dont think that your company will renew your work permit, you need the termination letter from your employer to cancel your extension of stay and to cancel your work permit.

If you dont do that and try to leave the country to lets say apply for a Non-O in Sawannakhet, they might (will) send you back to do both cancellations first.

Best of luck.

I am also trying to make any sense out of this but really it doesnt...so if you leave the country on the last day your permit expires they might not let you out if you have no termination letter from employer..if you wait one more day you are on overstay...so what are you supposed to do if your employer does not cooperate or if simply you do not want to get the employer involved?

More great news :( Staying 20 years inThailand and now this. Never broke a law and got every year all papers in line. Now, they could keep me here in order to fine me. Maybe I should go to Pattaya. There are many Balconies still available, especially high up... (Of course that isn't an option for me!)

Actually the last change to the police order brought that option back. But not sure how it would be done.

The line in bold and the one under might give you some more option since your children might be old enough to support you or they might take your medical condition into consideration. This from clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.
For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis."

Thanks for that very useful information! My kids are over 20, two are over 22. All have a Thai passport & ID card. Does that mean, in your opinion, no money needs to be shown? I need to find someone who knows more about it. Please let me know more about it, if you can. That law might be something I could try. I'm over 50, of course.

When you apply for the 60 day extension your wife will need to be with you and you'll need:-

• Form TM7.
  • Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, last visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • Maybe form TM30. (This is the form used by the owner/house-master of the address you live at to report you are staying with them.)
  • 1,900 baht.
  • Forms can be downloaded from here. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Thanks too, posting this!