Flood Damage On Crops...

samran

Reading the sad story in this morning's BKK posts of the farmer who hanged himself cause of the flood damage.

Based in BKK, you can never understand the full extent of these things, but how bad have this years floods been from an economic and social perspective. Worse than normal?

Yes - sadly the case you heard about is by no means "unusual" - suicide amongst farmers in Isaan is high with 4 in Loei since late August.

You just have to stand on the side of the main road to see trucks every hour heading south with livestock for the markets.

Crop damage from flooding was extensive this year and many farmers are going to suffer this coming dry season with little to nothing to feed livestock - so they are selling now before the stock become thin. Its buyers market with 3 - 5 year milkers going for less than 20K.

Hard times a'coming

The wife and I drove from Jomtien to Loei the 9th and in all the years I have been here, I have never seen such widespread flooding. There has been VERY severe crop damage. If the poor farmers ever needed a government, they need it now. Huge aid packages are badly needed if some of these farmers are to survive. I guess we live in a very lucky area. Even with all the heavy rains we have no flood problems. I have no idea where all the water goes but it is NOT standing in the fields. Crops in this area look excellent.