AIS sim registered to old passport

easyride

My 1-2-Call prepaid SIM is registered to my old UK passport, I'm only a 90 day here 90 day home visitor.

I've written to AIS who are usually very good at English but they just haven't replied.

I'm in Pattaya

PS I'm wanting to transfer to Dtac!

What kind of hassle? You've done what you were expected to do, register your SIM with your identity backed by your travel documents which were current at that time.

I don't think there's any requirement to update this registration with your new passport number.

I wouldn't bother, really. Whenever you switch to DTAC, use your new passport and that's it.

The passport was used as traceable proof of who you are. The passport may have changed (as has mine), but you are the same person. If there was ever a national security issue regarding your phone, Immigrations could pull up your immigration history using the old or new passport number.

Edited by Suradit69

You can go to the AIS service center in the basement of Central festival, but I doubt you can transfer a 1-2 call number.

You can transfer any number, that's the law. Required is that you are registered in the system with the same name as for the new subscription. So it would make sense to update the registration details for the new passport. Number portability will otherwise fail.

Bring the balance to zero before, the money will otherwise be lost.

Edited by MadMac

My 1-2 Call was under my old PP number and with the recent push of several months ago to get numbers registered nation wide all I did is went to an AIS center in BKK and showed my old PP and the new and updated the registration.

Really quite simple.

MJ

Do you mind if i ask why you want to switch to DTAC, i was going to go from DTAC to AIS but if there is an issue with there service I wont bother.

I appreciate all the info.

I've had the same 1-2-Call number for 12 years and was content with the rolling validity which gave me 365 days. I updated 500 baht a few months ago only to find that after 60 days it became invalid whereas DTAC give 365 days automatically (according to DTAC helpdesk).

AIS charge 30 baht to extend validity one month at a time by dialling *777*30# up to 365 days.

If necessary DTAC charge a mere two baht.

OK, cheap Charlie but I gather AIS require both name and registered ID before MNP can take place and I've been here long enough to realise that they'll probably use my current passport to start the process and not the old passport giving wrong info and a refusal to transfer. Catch 22!