Dane closes business in Thailand over visa issue

webfact

If he has been here that long he could have easily gotten PR or citizensenship if his businesses were halfway legit and making money.

Why slag off someone who you know nothing about??? As the previous poster stated he's an honest and helpful business man.

I'm sure he is. Doesn't take away from the fact he could have avoided all this.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange ...... there are always two sides to every story, I would like to know the other sides reason word for word before I believe this.

He forgot to ask how much "tea money" to clear..

After being in Thailand for so long it's hard to imagine he still doesn't understand how things work.

That's hard to must give up a business after 16 years because of bureaucratic games.

And he runs the business along with his Thai wife.

I find it especially pity, that it is here a small family business, of a longtime married foreigner / Thai couple.

There are certainly hundreds of thousands of similar small family businesses, where foreigners married with Thais,

which feeds the entire thai family with there enterprises.

Not a good advertisement for Thailand as investment location at all.

Absolutely, also their "Thai" families are being screwed here. Mai pen rai, thats the way it is here in Thailand.

Is the color orange for monks only? If so i would have changed it if i were him. I see every color for constructionshirts except orange in BKK, in fact i don't see that color used at all.

I repeat. Orange is the official colour of Udon Thani. It's very common in Udon.

It's the official colour of Thursday too in Thailand. Does any other country give the days of the week colours?

A retirement extension or non-b extension has no risk if you're above board

Lawyer up. Save yourself the hassle if you're legit. Sit back and have a Chang and a let a power of attorney letter deal with it. 10k per year, yet some of you would rather get tossed around for days on end at immigrations amusement.

Rule #1 about extensions of stay: In Thailand, never go to immigration, ever.

Rule #2 See #1

I have not set foot at an immigration office for 8 years. It is totally legal. Just sign a power of attorney allowing your lawyer or accountant to act on your behalf only for certain things.

Amazing the things people will go through here to save a few baht.

Rule #1 for me: Don't do biz here. Do biz elsewhere and spend pocket money here. Bargain hardcore and live the life, whatever suits u. I love ❤ it here. My biggest expense is the plane ticket, all the rest is peanuts.

Probably some competitor wants him out of business.

With PAIBKK.com as Thailand's #1 e-Commerce provider and best webhost we receive threats almost daily. False complains filed at police happening at least once per month.

Yesterday's threat:

u stop company

u go home self or go in box

u stay u dy

u not good

u <deleted> us thai

u dy

Probably some competitor wants him out of business.

With PAIBKK.com as Thailand's #1 e-Commerce provider and best webhost we receive threats almost daily. False complains filed at police happening at least once per month.

Yesterday's threat:

u stop company

u go home self or go in box

u stay u dy

u not good

u <deleted> us thai

u dy

First of many shutting soon as nobody buying property whilst junta in charge.

Even during the red shirt war and bombing of shopping centers did not not stop the insane rise of baht/sqm rise. It continues and will not stop, especially with the current stability under the junta

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

There will be no more foriegn investment. And no more retirees and the retirees here will leave. Because of assnine immagration laws anb the harassment of foreigners in the kingdom..

They will be carrying me out in a box,i ain't leaving.

I dont buy the conspiracy theories.

Looking at the pic and the web site - it looks like a 1 man company.

If he had Thai staff, he'd be able to have a Thai website.

The stuff about jumping from 1 mill reg cap to 2 mill reg cap shows he really was running a tiny company. It's fairly common to be asked to increase your capital if you are looking for concessions from the govt. Some things simply aren't available if your company is that small.

As has been mentioned he's working as a real estate agent in a country where that job is protected and foreigners can't do it.

So you have to wonder how he managed to get a work permit & visa for so long.

There will be no more foriegn investment. And no more retirees and the retirees here will leave. Because of assnine immagration laws anb the harassment of foreigners in the kingdom..

While Thailand has an active "sex industry" and ladys who are not that choosy, the retirees will keep coming, will build their mac mansions and buy trucks for their "teeraks"

Your comments may become valid the day Thailand decides to crack down on the "sex industry"

55,elephants will fly before that happens.

If he has been here that long he could have easily gotten PR or citizensenship if his businesses were halfway legit and making money.

Why slag off someone who you know nothing about??? As the previous poster stated he's an honest and helpful business man.

which part of that do you consider to be " slagging off "? samran makes a valid point.

there are two or three people I can think of in the real estate sector in Bangkok who have lived in Thailand for 15 to 20 years who have at least achieved PR status.

for example David Simister the chairman of CBRE and Graham Park of NAI Andrew Park. I'm sure after 16 years he could achieved the same if he had tried.

There are always 2 sides to a a case like this and as Immigration "refuse to give details on a particular case" I guess we will never know the truth.

As such, I will not comment to this particular case.

But I know Thailand, live already 16 years LEGALLY in Thailand, and never had a problem with Immigration before.

Until last year.

Since last year, getting an extension of my Retirement Visa has become a hell.

And I am not the only one, judging the many posts in other forums.

Thai Immigration has no real written specifications on how to obtain a Visa.

Thai Immigration Officers have the right to ask "additional documents" or deny a Visa without the need to give any explanation.

Add to this the corruption which has increased with this government, and you have everything you need to know why so many people have troubles with Immigration.

It's time for Thailand to specify the rules to get a Visa and STICK to these rules.

No personal interpretation of the law allowed.

Just got my extension today.No difference than last year except for,under consideration for a month and a house visit.No biggy.Piece of piss.No corruption.Saw a couple of old boys there who had no idea about re entry permit.The officer explained correctly about how it works and that you can get it at the airport.As i received mine i showed them in blue and white.Satang dropped,i think.I said you can get it know if you want,valid for a year.On bloke kept wanting to get it again and again in Germany.The officer explained how easy it was.Some blokes just tie themselves up in knots.Most officers out my way will help you.

it is painfully clear only Chinese are welcome here..and until all you with rose tints wake up YOU too will loose it all..... after decades here I liquidated all my assets , I dont even own a house or car anymore (I rent by the month)...In 24 hours a I can be gone

55,this will be very unpopular in Issan where a lot of you think the whole population survive on what us farangs dole out.The population will rise up and stop this outrage.

A retirement extension or non-b extension has no risk if you're above board

Lawyer up. Save yourself the hassle if you're legit. Sit back and have a Chang and a let a power of attorney letter deal with it. 10k per year, yet some of you would rather get tossed around for days on end at immigrations amusement.

Rule #1 about extensions of stay: In Thailand, never go to immigration, ever.

Rule #2 See #1

I have not set foot at an immigration office for 8 years. It is totally legal. Just sign a power of attorney allowing your lawyer or accountant to act on your behalf only for certain things.

Amazing the things people will go through here to save a few baht.

As it is as simple as filling out a few forms and a trip to the bank i am up for the challenge.Most exciting thing in my dreary life all year,really gets the adrenalin pumping and now they have added,under consideration for 1 month to extend my thrill seeking.Sadly it all ended today as they handed me my new extension and re entry permit..Back to my dreary life until April 8th when it's off to Kolkata with the missus in tow.No that will really get the adrenalin pumping,24/7.Before any of you are thinking i am mad,i want to go to Darjeeling for a cuppa,then back door into Nepal for a trek.

Strange ...... there are always two sides to every story, I would like to know the other sides reason word for word before I believe this.

Reason? you are making some large assumptions here.

If you really want to know , the other side of the story .

Contact, Udon immigration , for a interview.

at a cost to you . Thai culture. wai2.gif .

Plan B , I want to make and sell pies , do i need a work permit .?

That is, where the dough is ..rolleyes.gif

Edited by elliss

It is strange. I went to renew my retirement visa extension up country on tuesday.

Thought there would be no problems but id previously only done it in pattaya.

I have an investment account that matures either 3, or 7 or 12 months, depending on the rates, and when it is due i roll it over into the next investment going at bangkok bank.

I took the investment account bankbooks from 2014 showing that i have had sufficent funds in a thai bank. When one term deposit comes due, that bank book is cancelled, another bankbook created with the new term deposit.

The immigration person would not accept it as he said the bankbook numbers were different, even though when one book ended the next showed the transfered amount.

Blind fredy could see the money had been in thailand for many years, but he maintained that because the passbook numbers were different and the latest rollover was less than 3 months that i didnt have the funds in the bank to qualify for my retirement visa extendion.

So now ive goto fly from roiet to bangkok to get a thai translation of our marriage certificate(married at the aus embassy bangkok 27 years ago). Then back up country to get a marriage to thai visa and wait till the time is up for this numbered bankbook so i can get my retirement visa.

Noooorrrrr

I just got the Bangkok Bank to state in the letter that the funds where the same and just rolled over,worked for me.Did you try and go over his head,straight to the top,then you know.

So let me translate to the farangs what this poor Farang Dane went through. He started a business 16 years ago, somewhere along the line the real estate business was not doing too well or as the name suggest he planned to do PI work from the start. When immigration or someone caught him out (running 2 businesses under one company and 1 WP) he was asked to change his logo to reflect his true business. His first attempt at this was rejected by government officials. After further investigation (because of his fraud) they found that he only had B 1 mil paid up equity instead of B 2 mil. Due to the fact that he committed fraud they are now sticky to approve his WP and visa extension. Being here now for 16 years Farang Dane now have learned about saving face. Does this not sound more logical than the news story ? Ask yourself what would happen to any foreigner that tries this in your home country ?

Really? I mean, are you serious? The most probably explanation is that he didn't pay the extra business tax. For whatever reason, maybe they wanted more than the business made?

While Thailand has an active "sex industry" and ladys who are not that choosy, the retirees will keep coming, will build their mac mansions and buy trucks for their "teeraks"

Your comments may become valid the day Thailand decides to crack down on the "sex industry"

Next month is what I hear

After reading all the post not a one of them ever hit on his EX-Thai wife.

Remember he started the business with a Thai wife as the 51% Thai partner as required by Thai business law.

Surely Thai immigration has learned that he does not have a Thai partner anymore making the business illegal because the Thai partner (wife) is no longer involved in the business (maybe she informed Thai immigration) but still has her name on all the business documentation.. So Thai immigration by screwing around with him is giving him a silent answer, get yourself a Thai partner wife or otherwise. But from what he writes he doesn't seem to take the hint.

Starting a business in Thailand a foreigner should not think twice but many times twice.

Having been associated with Thailand for many decades, would I get involved in a business in Thailand? NEVER. As the foreigner you bring in the capital and only own 49% a minor owner while the Thai brings in silts is the 51% the major owner who can overrule the minor owner at any decision. The 51% owner has the 49% owner over the barrel.

LOL in LOS

I known Preben for years and he is the most honest man you will ever find. Always there to help farang if in problems. Always taken care of farang when they bought houses so the Thai wife shouldn't cheat them. A great guy and a even better father. Shame it had to end like this.

Regarding this link. http://www.htspweb.c...9/cc/5304fb.htm then I think it is either some Nigerian <deleted> or someone in some way got pissed by Preben and the way he did business. ( the honest way) His good name is being used to something bad here.

I encountered him also and I found him rude and chavvy. If he had been like this as they tried to get him to pay some tea money, I understand the result.

My first instinct is that his business was unwanted competition...someone wanted it eliminated...and all the harassment was the Thai way of encouraging a foreigner to close up shop and move on...no need for your kind here...a successful foreign business attracts resentment by Thai competitors...

Remember...this is Thailand...all the visa and other innocuous hassles are intentional...

True, true. But if you have a successful business with profit, you would never close it just like that.

Very easy to do business here. I would bet this gentleman has shown no or little profit for the past 16 years and got away with it. Guy sounds like a giant pussy.

A foreign owned business in Thailand with no profit after 2 years will not get their work permit and extension of stay renewed for 1 year. 1st it's 6 months, then 3.

Big cry baby.

I can't disagree with you about the ease of doing business in Thailand as I've not had a business here. I can only wonder about how you make this claim while in the post following yours by NickJ we read the diametrically opposite from a person who states he has a business.

I read the article with the link and saw this "“Most companies start up with 2 million baht or so, so suddenly I had to do the same. Which meant I had to raise 1 million extra really quick, which I did,” Preben Pretzmann recalls.

Where did you read about the profit this man made? He states he raised the extra one million THB quickly but I'm not clear as to what he needed to do with it.

I personally hate to see any honest business close as it, by definition, reduces competition. I see no reason to harbor any ill thoughts or feelings about this man based on what I read on the OP or in the linked article.

I don,t see what the "profit" has to do with anything here. When you apply for a work permit you have to sign a document stating that you are making 80,000 Bht per month, even if in reality you have many months when you make zilch. Every month you get taxed on this 80,000 Bht, all done by your accountant, and if you are lucky and business minded you should sail along with no problems. In this case it sounds to me that the unfortunate guy was just being shaken down by the immigration official in order to extract cash, in which case the only alternatives are to pay or shut down sad.png

Do you mix up the requirements for the Visa and the work permit? It seems so, because I cannot find such an requirement for a work permit.

Next month is what I hear

After reading all the post not a one of them ever hit on his EX-Thai wife.

Remember he started the business with a Thai wife as the 51% Thai partner as required by Thai business law.

Surely Thai immigration has learned that he does not have a Thai partner anymore making the business illegal because the Thai partner (wife) is no longer involved in the business (maybe she informed Thai immigration) but still has her name on all the business documentation.. So Thai immigration by screwing around with him is giving him a silent answer, get yourself a Thai partner wife or otherwise. But from what he writes he doesn't seem to take the hint.

Starting a business in Thailand a foreigner should not think twice but many times twice.

Having been associated with Thailand for many decades, would I get involved in a business in Thailand? NEVER. As the foreigner you bring in the capital and only own 49% a minor owner while the Thai brings in silts is the 51% the major owner who can overrule the minor owner at any decision. The 51% owner has the 49% owner over the barrel.

LOL in LOS

Not usually one to have a go at Thai wives, but,maybe she wants 100% of the biz.

I dont buy the conspiracy theories.

Looking at the pic and the web site - it looks like a 1 man company.

If he had Thai staff, he'd be able to have a Thai website.

The stuff about jumping from 1 mill reg cap to 2 mill reg cap shows he really was running a tiny company. It's fairly common to be asked to increase your capital if you are looking for concessions from the govt. Some things simply aren't available if your company is that small.

As has been mentioned he's working as a real estate agent in a country where that job is protected and foreigners can't do it.

So you have to wonder how he managed to get a work permit & visa for so long.

They do it everywhere and they could do it even real "legal" if they are always accompanied by a Thai.

"“Most companies start up with 2 million baht or so, so suddenly I had to do the same. Which meant I had to raise 1 million extra really quick, which I did,” Preben Pretzmann recalls"

This is bullshite, the value of a company is on paper only, whether it be 1,2 or ten million baht. You do not have to actually have the cash. As an example, if you wanted to setup a 1 million Baht company with a lawyer, it would cost approximately 32,000 Baht and for every million after that you add 10,000 baht, so a 2 million baht company would cost 42,000 Baht and so on. I think that a few porky pies might be flying around in this story.