Broken Onga water pump. How to contact?

Monomial

Hi all,

My Onga swimming pool pump just blew a lid...literally. About an hour ago I heard a loud POP and water started gushing from the clear plastic lid on the pump. When I finally got all the valves shut down and the water had drained, I removed the lid and the plastic has split open. This is a brand new pump, but I have no documentation for it and can no longer contact the person who bought it.

I attempted to call the number on the side of the pump for customer service 0800-664-269, but all I get is a message saying the number has not been registered. I tried from both AIS and DTAC. I do not have a landline phone.

I tried searching for this company on the web, but I can only find their Australia site. Does anyone have a number where I can reach this company in Thailand to find out how to get a new lid for my pump?

Thank you for any assistance.

Why did the lid pop off sounds like you have a valve shut or your filter is blocked nrv stuck unless you find the cause it will only happen again, my money is on a shut valve if not it is a blocked filter caused by all the Alum.!!!

Order an o ring as well , chances are that is stretched now.

Edited by sappersrest

The lid didn't pop off. It cracked and started spitting water everywhere.

I agree sounds like an over pressure problem, but over pressure from where I don't know. I was watching the filter. It was around 8 PSI.

I don't think the O-ring is stretched. The lid was still solidly screwed to the pump and the O-ring was sealed and seated in the proper position. The plastic lid just split in two. Could simply have been a defective lid as well. I doubt I'll ever know for sure unless it happens again.

Trying now to find someone who sells this brand. Haven't found anybody who sells them locally. Even on eBay everyone selling it doesn't ship to Thailand. If I wasn't already stuck with this brand I certainly would not recommend it to anybody. Seems like it is a very poorly constructed pump and extremely difficult to service.

Onga is not officially represented in Thailand. They are failry big in Australia where I believe they are made - at least I see thenmn all the pool shops in Melbourne alongside all the reputable brands.

Check your system, something is VERY wrong if the lid 'popped off' under pressure. You may have no solution other than buying a reputable pump from a reputable pool equipment supplier here in Thailand.

Just an update on this issue.

I finally found a pool contractor willing to come and take a look at my problem. Apparently the cowboy who installed my system did not really know what he was doing, despite telling me he had 16 years of experience. He connected the filter wrong. There was no connection at all to the filter port, and the waste port was going to pool water return. So it is absolutely no surprise that I was unable to get the filter to clear the water in the pool, all the while thinking that he accidentally put the valve handle on backwards.

The contractor who looked at it today said I was lucky that it was only the lid on the pump that blew. If the filter valve itself had blown it would be a much more expensive repair. I now have to pay 20,000 baht for him to rework the PVC and valve system to function properly, plus whatever the cost is to replace the lid on the pump, which is going to have be ordered from overseas.

So here is a lesson to everyone. Never trust a pool contractor if you can not go and inspect his previous work. The guy you are talking to, no matter how knowledgeable he sounds, might just be the guy who did this, and you could wind up in the same situation I am in now...or worse.

Monomial: Sorry to read about your pool installation. An Onga swimming pool pump was originally installed at my home in 2008, by the JD Pools based in Bangkok. I am curious as to why JD Pools did not offer to sell you a replacement lid. I certainly was not "stuck" with that brand when after two years it had serious issues. It was less money for me to buy a brand new APP swimming pool pump and have a Buriram pump shop install it, that JD pools wanted to come and repair my Onga pump in Buriram. The APP swimming pool pump has worked fine for the past six years.

post-20604-0-89808700-1458223141_thumb.j

What was his take on the chemical levels, alum?Glad you are getting pump and filter sorted. If he can cock up on installing a filter god knows what the rest of his work is like, Hope you have 2 main drains and the balance tank is correctly piped in, it really beggars belief how people get away with it.

Good luck with your pool.

Edited by sappersrest

II now have to pay 20,000 baht for him to rework the PVC and valve system to function properly, plus whatever the cost is to replace the lid on the pump, which is going to have be ordered from overseas.

Even Baht 20,000 sounds highly excessive to me. Even for a bona fide company with corporate overheads, and a fleet of vehicles and proper offices to maintain.

• 3 weeks later...

II now have to pay 20,000 baht for him to rework the PVC and valve system to function properly, plus whatever the cost is to replace the lid on the pump, which is going to have be ordered from overseas.

Even Baht 20,000 sounds highly excessive to me. Even for a bona fide company with corporate overheads, and a fleet of vehicles and proper offices to maintain.

Very expensive just to redo the piping. Wont JD Pools sell you a lid?

Hi

Hope you managed to get part you needed.

I had the same problem getting parts for Onga filter, the metal clasp that holds the multiport valve to the filter totally corroded, and the multiport valve started to bypass to waste when on filter, and this was only six years old.

Onga informed me that they will not export items to Thailand, but I might be able to find a dealer in Australia that might, but could not give me any dealer’s names.

So I took out the filter and pump and fitted filter/pump combo called splash made in China.

The labour cost me nothing as I do it DIY.

I threw the filter out but kept the pump, I did notice that Onga pumps are uprated.

post-9958-0-69456700-1460366876_thumb.jp

post-9958-0-95117300-1460366931_thumb.jp