Japanese tourist reports large amount of cash ‘stolen’ from Bangkok bound flight

webfact

Ahh!!! raises its ugly head in most Thai visa posts...generalisation the curse of the uneducated...whether it be Japanese are all trustworthy or people who drink in bars in Pattaya all are un educated beer swilling louts...sad sad sad

Ahh!!! raises its ugly head in most Thai visa posts...generalisation the curse of the uneducated...whether it be Japanese are all trustworthy or people who drink in bars in Pattaya all are un educated beer swilling louts...sad sad sad

Where there's smoke.... actually there have been studies that quantified it - the honesty observation, not the beer swilling lout one....

"I hid my money in my bag as I didn't want to risk losing it by carrying it on my person."

Seriously... we are talking about 24k here... please! blink.png

I struggle to believe anyone would think this is a good idea.

I absent-mindedly tucked it in there when in the taxi and forgot about it, well yes, this happens.

At first I thought it was another robbery in the cabin when asleep. There are plenty of warnings about putting valuables and fragile items in checked in baggage....

Sorry the guy had his holiday spoiled but only himself to blame.

This is happening quite often not only on flights to Thailand but anywhere in the world. You leave your luggage in the flight , someone suppose to look at his luggage or do something else will open your luggage and take out your valuable. What I do I always lock the luggage I take to the flight so no one can open it.

I always carry huge amounts of csh in my personal luggage, I spread it around tho. No problems getting 4-5k usd into Thailand

If its over US$10,000 you have to declare it at both ends, if you are bringing 4-5 K why take a chance and leave it in your bag, I would prefer to take it on my person. 40 to 50 $100 notes would hardly make a bulge in your pockets

With the scanning equipment at airports (well, maybe not bomb sniffers at Suvarnabhumi...) they can tell almost exactly what is in your bag and where it is. A few seconds to snap open the zipper, reach in and grab the booty, and rezip the bag. Probably done in less than 30 seconds.

When I had a camera stolen from checked baggage, the airline had an audit trail of time stamps including when the bag was weighed at check-in, when it got to the scanner, when it was loaded into the cart/bin for transport to the aircraft, and when the bag/bin was loaded on the aircraft, and a similar reverse timeline at the destination. But, with the speed at which the theft can occur, that was no chance to determine at what point it was pilfered.