Thailand is the world's 33rd happiest country

webfact

Thailand is the world’s 33rd happiest country

12380591_10154036905023637_629358487_n-w

BANGKOK: -- Thailand this year was ranked at the 33rd place among the list of 156 countries in the world's happiest countries surveyed by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network.

Denmark was placed on the top as the world’s happiest country, while Burundi was ranked as the least happy country.

Thailand inched one place up from last year’s 34th rank.

Although Thailand will be the world’s 33rd happiest nation, it is however the second happiest country in ASEAN, after Singapore which claimed the 22nd position in the world’s happiest countries, and first in ASEAN.

Thailand’s rankings in world’s happiest countries in 2014 was 36th, and 34th in 2015.

The finding of world’s happiest countries was published in the fourth World Happiness Report released on Wednesday.

According to New York Times, the report was prepared by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, an international panel of social scientists that includes economists, psychologists and public health experts convened by the United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon.

Though the findings do not represent the formal views of the United Nations, the network is closely tied to the Sustainable Development Goals, which the organization adopted in September, aiming, among other things, to end poverty and hunger by 2030, while saving the planet from the most destructive effects of climate change.

The report found that inequality was strongly associated with unhappiness — a stark finding for rich countries like the United States, where rising disparities in income, wealth, health and well-being have fueled political discontent.

Denmark topped the list in the first report, in 2012, and again in 2013, but it was displaced by Switzerland last year.

TOP 10 HAPPIEST COUNTRIES IN 2016

1. Denmark

2. Switzerland

3. Iceland

4. Norway

5. Finland

6. Canada

7. Netherlands

8. New Zealand

9. Australia

10. Sweden

TOP 10 LEAST HAPPIEST COUNTRIES IN 2016

1. Burundi

2. Syria

3. Togo

4. Afghanistan

5. Benin

6. Rwanda

7. Guinea

8. Liberia

9. Tanzania

10. Madagascar

Of the world’s most populous nations, China came in at No. 83, India at No. 118, the United States at No. 13, Indonesia at No. 79, Brazil at No. 17, Pakistan at No. 92, Nigeria at No. 103, Bangladesh at No. 110, Russia at No. 56, Japan at No. 53 and Mexico at No. 21. The United States rose two spots, from No. 15 in 2015.

From 2005 to 2015, Greece saw the largest drop in happiness of any country, a reflection of the economic crisis that began there in 2007.

The happiness ranking was based on individual responses to a global poll conducted by Gallup.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155559

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-17

Wow, Prayut has a lot of sway then if he can influence an international panel of social scientists that includes economists, psychologists and public health experts convened by the United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon.

This is certainly a narrative that some do not want released and it will be downplayed or dismissed as it does not suit an certain agenda.

Congrats Prayut. You are certainly doing something right.

Wow, Prayut has a lot of sway then if he can influence an international panel of social scientists that includes economists, psychologists and public health experts convened by the United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon.

This is certainly a narrative that some do not want released and it will be downplayed or dismissed as it does not suit an certain agenda.

Wow. Congratulations Lars Rasmussen, John Keys, Tony Abbott, Pierre Trudeau, Barack Obama and others.

Really, you do write nonsense at times. This report is a little more complex and sophisticated than your own transparently political agenda

Still giving the general a happy ending are we?

Obvious fake survey is fake.

Thailand is the most sanook ever among them all, anyone or anything not approving of that is clearly wrong.

I'm too lazy to even google how happiness gets measured, probably a load of facepalm just reading the criteria and composition/averaging those mystical numbers.

I wouldn't get all warm and fuzzy , anything over 10 the country is ordinary, over 20 it is subnormal, bragging rights are the top 5 ................................coffee1.gif

That means every year, over 130 countries in the world are less than normal? That's over 75% of mankind.

If you drill down in the detail of the scores, one category that was higher in T/L than almost every other country was "giving".. this I can understand.

The other interesting category was "corruption" - that one scored zero...... seems a bit unlikely to me..!!!

I believe this. Thainess and face does not allow unhappiness. It's that plain simple. Thai buddy lost his house and business but nevertheless told me he was still happy... His wife told me he had sleeping problems and drank a lot. Nevertheless she also denied he was being unhappy. When she eventually went working in some underpaid washing dishes job she assured me she was still happy. Her husband told me she was vey worried about their future but denied she was unhappy... TIT.

Moving up or down by one or two places is mere noise in the signal. You may also need to look at the scores, not just the positions, eg if one country crashes 20 places, then a bunch of countries all move up one place with no internal changes needed.

Also, do the metrics really measure happiness?

Kind of sounded bad taste when I read Syria in the Least "Happiest" countries

Kind of comes of sounding like: oh your population is getting sprayed with chemical weapons or tortured by ISIL, oh but why all the frowns?

What happens in Burindi to make it less happier than Syria?

Still giving the general a happy ending are we?

Why not? He is watching you know. Such a great guy...

TOP 10 HAPPIEST COUNTRIES IN 2016

1. Denmark

2. Switzerland

3. Iceland

4. Norway

5. Finland

6. Canada

7. Netherlands

8. New Zealand

9. Australia

10. Sweden

so please explain me why, everyday, thai apologists claims that countries like Canada, Australia, NZ are horrible to live in?

if you were from one of the 10 happiest countries, then why would you come to live in thailand, which is the 33rd happiest country, go figure

Australia comes in at number 9, i find people here, Sydney especially a lot more ruder and crankier than in the Land Ikf Smiles, they may be fake smiles, but its just a lot nicer.

Being a wealthy foreigner/walking ATM also helps ;)