Pool Build Costs

Pilotman

Firstly, many thanks for member's help in finding a list of pool contractors in or around Sattahip, very helpful thanks, now another question.

I know this is a bit of 'how long is a piece of string', but does anyone have a very rough, indicative cost for a pool of size 12 meters by 5 meters, well tiled with pool tiles, properly pool grouted, no lighting, skimmer design, unheated, so not a cheapo option. I know the cost here in the UK, as a mate has just had one constructed here (good luck with that in this crappy weather!), but that's not much good in budgeting for Thailand.

Thanks

It's not really 'How long is a piece of string', but if you ask 20 people here, your''ll get 20 different answers. The best thing to do is email the constructors directly. Mind you, if you ask 20 in the Pattaya area, you'll also get 20 different answers (if in fact they answer at all - many don't), and the difference between the lowest offer and the highest bid will defy all logical thinking. It's not rocket science to find out how much steel and concrete cost here, labour salaries are well known, and at least one pool company has the decency to publish the prices of their equipment (or most of it) on their web site.

The rest is the constructor's mark up for their GP. Small, one-man-and-his-dented-pickup 'firms' will sometimes quote so low one wonders what corners they are cutting, while some of them are cheeky enough to charge the same prices as the bona fide firms that have offices, showrooms, and a fleet of service vehicles to maintain, and are registered for VAT and pay taxes.

Expect offers from as little as baht 810,000.00 to as much as Baht 1,800,000.00 for exactly the same project. Remember however that those prices are not necessarily an indication of quality or professionalism - some big names are merely franchisees who quickly hire local unskilled labour as soon as they get a rare order to build a pool - while others will be supplying little known brands of pumps, filters, and underwater lights that are at best, cheap Chinese copies of decent leading brands and they won't be using the proper tile adhesive and grout for pools because it is quite expensive. Expect your pump to explode after a few weeks, and the tiles to drop off after a year or two.

A turn-key offer in your area of around Baht 1,350,000 might be about right if the professionalism and showrooms of those offering are sufficiently convincing. For comparison purposes, also ask some firms that are well outside your immediate area. They may decline on the grounds of distance but they may offer some help with judging the quality of the estimates you receive, and they may be able to make some recommendations.

Some pool companies may be able to assist you with a DIY job if you commit to paying them for blueprints and buying the technical package from them. You could end up saving up to 50%.

Ask for a full specification of materials used i.e. not just suitable for pools or pool grout ask for exact manufacturers name type etc same goes for filters pumps. Importantly grade of pipe used, cheap pipe is not suitable for pool use even the type of glue used to join the pipe is important The runny thai pipe glue is not suitable for pool use.The list is endless .

Ask how they arrive at the correct size of filter and pump walk away from any one who says we have done this for years. They should be able to prove it mathematically It is literally a back of a fag packet type calculation or can be compiled using manufacturers data sheets. Ask for copies of brochures data sheets etc. Take your time and do some research the same as you would buying a car.

The most important tool in you armoury is references ask to see and speak to previous customers jobs especially 18 months -2 years ago.

Good luck.

Many thanks Chaps. We will do what we can to make sure that we get a good job, but, as with a lot of things in Thailand, it could be brilliant, or terrible. We do have a very good (and trustworthy) agent looking after the property, who we will do trust to assist as an intermediary. My wife is also as feisty as hell and very proud of the house, so I pity anyone who tries to rip her off!!

The problem with 'very good (and trustworthy) agents' is that they are rarely pool professionals and don't know the things to look for.

The problem with pools is that they generally all look 'briliant' when they are finished but the problems first start appearing six months later when the tiles start dropping off, the concrete pool shell has shifted causing the underground piping to fracture and cracks to appear in the deck; the cheap 'no-name' pump motor burns out, and the cheap polypropylene filter splits open from top to bottom, and the pool can't be emptied quickly because the 'professional' forgot to includs a main drain in his 'design', water is leaking out through the concrete wall at the places where it it pierced with the pipes for hte return jets and lighting conduit, and the lights fail because the constructor didn't use deck boxes.

The problem with feisty Thai wives is that being the partner of a rich farang (all farangs are rich) has gone to ther heads and they have often been the cause of many a genuine contractor's team to walk off the job.

All bread-and-butter work for the real professionals who have to drive around the remote Thai countryside country up the pieces and putting right the rubbish made by the 'other' professionals.

From someone who went through the costing options last year, some things to think about

Fresh water or salt water pool, big difference in cost?

Also, suggest you separate the technology (pumps/salination/filters/controls) from the hole in the ground, the latter is pretty easy to cost whilst the former has lots of variables.

Good quality tiling is the easy bit and the least of your worries, the concrete shell is the thing to pay most attention to (block and concrete skim or prefab liner?).

You can reduce costs substantially by contracting out the excavation and the block work/concrete/tiling/pipe work and separating that from the technology purchase and installation but you need some project management skills.

Expect quoted bespoke prices to vary hugely.

Good luck

From someone who went through the costing options last year, some things to think about

Fresh water or salt water pool, big difference in cost?

Also, suggest you separate the technology (pumps/salination/filters/controls) from the hole in the ground, the latter is pretty easy to cost whilst the former has lots of variables.

Good quality tiling is the easy bit and the least of your worries, the concrete shell is the thing to pay most attention to (block and concrete skim or prefab liner?).

You can reduce costs substantially by contracting out the excavation and the block work/concrete/tiling/pipe work and separating that from the technology purchase and installation but you need some project management skills.

Expect quoted bespoke prices to vary hugely.

Good luck

That's really useful advice, many thanks. A lot more use than a poster who thinks that he knows what all Thai wives are like. There's nothing like a good old generalization to make you feel 'informed'.

That's really useful advice, many thanks. A lot more use than a poster who thinks that he knows what all Thai wives are like. There's nothing like a good old generalization to make you feel 'informed'.

A typical resoonse from the kind of people who post here and while thanking for the advice probably won't take it anyway.

I paid significant money for a pool designed by JD Pools Bangkok office. My Buriram house builder followed the plans of JD Pools. JD Pools sent a team from Bangkok at various stages to install all pipes, electric, filters, pool pumps, led lighting, etc.. I paid for Kera Pool Tile. I paid for Weber tai gres high performance tile adhesive and Weber Pool Tile Grout. The pump gave up after a few service calls from Bangkok, but salt chlorinator failed due to my lack of cleaning. However the Kera swimming pool tile grout has served us well as has the Weber tile grout. Zero tiles have come loose. I replaced the Pentair swimming pool pump with a much less expensive APP 1.5hp swimming pool pump. The APP pump is going on six years with no problems. I have had service from a Buriram water pump shop and from Paul Bodkin of Isaan Pools based in Surin. For my next village home I would hire Isaan Pools to build the swimming pool and not a Bangkok firm. You can see estimated prices on a web site calculator at http://isaanpools.com/price-your-pool/

I replaced the Onga Swimming Pool Pump with a much less expensive APP swimming pool pump bought in Buriram. One pump lasted two years, yet the APP pump is going on six years. The water leaks in the Onga Pump presented several repair problems.

post-20604-0-93886700-1459045141_thumb.j

The photo clearly shows how not to install a pump,constricting elbows to near the pump suction. and delivery for that matter.There should be a min of 5x dia of straight pipe prior to pump suction good design criteria dictates 5-10D .

If the pump lasted as long as it had you have done well.

Saooersrest: That was the Onga swimming pool pump and salt chlorinator design done by JD Pools staff in Bangkok. It was installed by JD Pools employees of Bangkok at my Buriram province residence in 2008. My pool is now maintained by Isaan Pools located in Surin Province or a local Buriram Water pump shop plumbers. In 2016 I am able to obtain next day repair service or prompt delivery of swimming pool supplies in Isaan, which was NOT my experience when trying to obtain swimming pool repair service or swimming pool chemicals from a famous Bangkok supplier.

post-20604-0-95863900-1459099714_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

We had a 8m x 4.5m fiberglass ****** installed by company 3 years ago - Maha Sarakham at a cost of 490,000 baht. All was great for the first 2 years then the filter started leaking, (they should last for 7 - 10 years) The timer stopped working on the salt water chlorinator but the biggest problem was finding a company or individual to do the maintenance as we travel back and forth from the UK a couple of times a year. Our installer was not interested in any follow up or maintenance and simply referred us the the supplier of the pool and equipment ******** in Rayong. They were quite helpful on the phone and via email but the filter we were supplied with was a cheap Chinese filter when we assumed we were getting an Emaux filter like the salt water chlorinatior.

The leak on the filter became very serious and all attempts at repairs were useless. (It had split at the neck where the molding joined together and water was seriously squirting out under the pressure) So we had no choice but to get a new filter. We eventually found a ************** that was owned and run by an English guy "**********" who at first was very helpful, and we felt we could trust him being from our own country... we paid a for an inspection visit and was told to our amazement - our swimming pool system was complete rubbish and electrically not safe, so quoted us for a complete new system (Emaux Filter, Salt water Chlorinator and pump).

We decided to go ahead with the new system being installed as we live most of the time in the UK and wanted ************* to also maintain the pool.

What a nightmare... firstly we were over charged by a mistake on the invoice (admitted by the finance dept) to the tune of about £280. After several emails and waiting for the refund, we eventually made a credit card claim of which we won and were refunded the excess charges. Then the nightmare really began... We were told that any future call out fee would be 10,000 baht + whatever for repairs or maintenance issues! (Other independent contractors charge 2000 Baht for a call out) Then because they had to give us a refund, they turned up one day pretending to do an installation check and STOLE back all the tubs of pool chemicals that were supplied with the pool instillation.

When we went to Thailand in May 2016 and saw the new filter, it looked half the size of our original filter. On checking our pool volume (liters) we found that the filter they installed is too small for the size of pool ! It works for now but is nowhere near as powerful as the last system and can hardly even suck up any debris with the pool vacuum - simply has no power.

So now we have seriously fallen out with the latest company and in effect have no guarantees again as a 10,000 baht call out fee is absolutely ridiculous.

So my advice would be to make sure you chose a local and reputable company that will give you the follow up service you need and don't go for the cheapest option. Try to talk to existing customers from the company you choose to do the installation and get some independent testimonials.

Hope this helps

Message me if you require any more details.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your personal arguments (removed) to yourself and not here.

Deleted my own post, as I realised it breached forum rules (commenting on administrator action, albeit not critically). Will PM admin instead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

10m  X6M X 2M  concrete reinforced 3' ceramic full tile hayward 2HP Emaux filter Zodiac chlorinator cost 750000 baht self build including all testers salt cost of pumping ground water ..

Don't buy non self priming pumps 

Anything from a Thai warehouse reseller 

Anything made in C

Sorry to hear the bad stories in this post. I have been in the pool industry 25 yrs and the last 14 yrs here in Thailand. Including help Ramayana Water Park start up all there pools & consult for chemical dosing, water quality & team training for 12 months. Everything I have read I have come across myself and still do. It has been my bread and butter for the entire time I have been here fixing these & renovating shoddy pool builds. (plus building them) I have seen much worse as well. There is a lot of sub standard equipment used and this post points out a number of issues that have been experienced. For the record nearly all equipment is made in China now. (I only deal with an Australian made salt system now. Commercial & domestic) Some good but a high percentage not good at best. I am aware of what is good equipment which has come about by experience. One brand mention in this thread is not what it is made out to be. I had ten salt chlorinators blow up, with in one month, in a large prestigious condo in Naklua. What a headache. Couldn't handle the power fluctuations. Obviously blew the warranties. So what did they do. Hire another contractor to resell them 10 new machines (Same brand) Hahahahaha TIT. I will only deal in top quality equipment now & I can walk away from a job knowing that it is VERY unlikely I will have a call back for equipment issues. I know of a few builders running around Issan fitting the cheap stuff. Their headaches haven't started yet! (I have warned them) Yes I offered them better equipment. But in there eyes cheapest is best!! 

On 10/17/2017 at 9:29 AM, ddraig92 said:

10m  X6M X 2M  concrete reinforced 3' ceramic full tile hayward 2HP Emaux filter Zodiac chlorinator cost 750000 baht self build including all testers salt cost of pumping ground water ..

Don't buy non self priming pumps 

Anything from a Thai warehouse reseller 

Anything made in C

Could build that at the same & make profit. All comes down to material used, equipment & tile type. For a start I wouldn't use Zodiac!! The electronic components don't like the humidity & they are over priced especially the acid dosing model!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived