Got To Have A Bank!

mike1963

Siam Commercial Bank appear to be the most farang friendly. They even let me open a business account without the full paperwork, saying I could supply it when it arrived! Almost unheard of in LOS.

Bangkok Bank and Krung Thai Bank tend to get the worst press.

Siam Commercial Bank appear to be the most farang friendly. They even let me open a business account without the full paperwork, saying I could supply it when it arrived! Almost unheard of in LOS.

Bangkok Bank and Krung Thai Bank tend to get the worst press.

Thanks MM for your reply

Mike :o

I'm told (no first hand experience) that the SCB in central is very good, the staff are friendly, helpful and speak good english.

Personally i bank with the SCB in Chalong, the staff are not so friendly, no where near as helpful and speak bugger all english... but i like a challenge!

Bangkok Bank in Patong used to be the easiest place to open an account for a foreigner with a tourist visa.

Lines can be long so get there early in the day.

I've heard a recent report that UOB bank is easy to deal with and isn't crowded.

Kasicorn is ok and hardly ever any long lines. They are sticklers about paper work so they may follow the technicality forbidding foreigners with tourist visas from opening accounts.

I avoid the Siam commercial bank in Chalong as it is usually a complete circus getting in and out of there.

I like Thai Military Bank on beach rd., low key, no hassles, no lines.

Wow! I hope I have better luck in Phuket than BKK..

I went to three banks yesterday with a significant amount of US$ cash (two SCB branches and one Kasikorn) and BOTH SCB's told me I MUST have a work permit (even with a 1 year multi-entry O Visa already in my Passport), and the Kasikorn was going to process it until I told her I was planning to be based in Phuket and she told me I MUST open it where I will be living!

I thought the banks were nationalized? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me..

Well, as long as SOME bank in Phuket will take my money?

Advice? I even "dressed-up" a bit (slacks, shirt, hard shoes) to appear a bit more "official" but I was denied...

Let's hope I have better luck in Phuket...

HB

Bangkok Bank in Patong used to be the easiest place to open an account for a foreigner with a tourist visa.

I've heard a recent report that UOB bank is easy to deal with and isn't crowded.

Kasicorn is ok and hardly ever any long lines. They are sticklers about paper work so they may follow the technicality forbidding foreigners with tourist visas from opening accounts.

I avoid the Siam commercial bank in Chalong as it is usually a complete circus getting in and out of there.

I went to three banks yesterday with a significant amount of US$ cash (two SCB branches and one Kasikorn) and BOTH SCB's told me I MUST have a work permit (even with a 1 year multi-entry O Visa already in my Passport), and the Kasikorn was going to process it until I told her I was planning to be based in Phuket and she told me I MUST open it where I will be living!

Advice? I even "dressed-up" a bit (slacks, shirt, hard shoes) to appear a bit more "official" but I was denied...

HB

If you are going to stay in Phuket Harley 62 it would definately be better for you to open an account in Phuket. If you open an account in another province you will be charged bank charges when you conduct a withdrawal and/or deposit.

The charge amount varies, normally between 10-30 THB depending on amount and what bank is used.

HB

If you are going to stay in Phuket Harley 62 it would definately be better for you to open an account in Phuket. If you open an account in another province you will be charged bank charges when you conduct a withdrawal and/or deposit.

The charge amount varies, normally between 10-30 THB depending on amount and what bank is used.

Really? MANY thanks for the advice--I will indeed wait until I get to Phuket to open a new account.

Having lived / worked in several Asian and European countries in the past, I NEVER had any idea that opening an account in one part of the country would affect your ability to transact business at the SAME Bank, but in a different part of the SAME country?

Korea, Hong Kong are two examples where once you open an account you can access your funds at ANY branch in the country without additional fees--but, if you used a different ATM (from a completely different bank) then I can understand having to pay a small "premium"....

Fair enough, glad to be enlightened by somebody with 1st-hand experience. I learned something!

Cheers!

Harley

Had two bank accounts with SCB,lost an atm card,and got 50000 bt cleaned out. Managed to get a security ideo of purchases being made with my card and copies of the transaction records of two of the 14 transactions made in 3hours. Signature wasn't similar and not spelt the same,my name is definetly european and the person making the purchases was definately thai. The bank does'nt want to know anything about it. Dealt with their fraud department who managed to do an investigation without even asking me the circumstances. When i askedfor all the details and copies of every thing they said they would send everything and then did nothing, so after all that i do not bank with them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone

I am with SCB in Phuket town. I think they insist on a letter from your employer OR a work permit to let you open the account.

The chick i deal with is a babe, remembers me when i come to make my deposit every month, even though i forget my passport, IBAN number and my UK account number. She just thumbs through last months paperwork and sorts me out.

I like them. Well her anyway.

I am with SCB in Phuket town. I think they insist on a letter from your employer OR a work permit to let you open the account.

The chick i deal with is a babe, remembers me when i come to make my deposit every month, even though i forget my passport, IBAN number and my UK account number. She just thumbs through last months paperwork and sorts me out.

No ... They do not ask for a WP or a letter from an employer.

So why do you "Think" they do ? Many people live here full time and have

no need of a job ... hence no need of a WP or an 'Employer'.

Naka.

Edited by naka

• 2 weeks later...

No ... They do not ask for a WP or a letter from an employer.

So why do you "Think" they do ? Many people live here full time and have

no need of a job ... hence no need of a WP or an 'Employer'.

Naka.

They usually do ask for a Work Permit, but sometimes don't insist on it. I've opened a couple of accounts without one, but always been asked.

What I am looking for and have never found, is a decent Business bank account.

If the account is in the name of the company, then the 'juristic' person, i.e. the director/md who signs things, can only withdraw money, or transfer money out of the account by going to the BRANCH that they opened the account in, signing the withdrawal form and stamping it with the company stamp. The online banking only allows me to VIEW the account, not do anything with it.

Does anyone know of a bank where I can have a company account (i.e. where I can deposit money from cheques made out to my company name) where I can do transactions electronically (even phone or at another branch would be better).

I'm currently with Ayudhaya, but it seems like Bangkok bank and TMB are the same.

If I employ people then I'm going to have to write cheques or pay them in cash! and I'll have to make trips to the branch every time I need money. Not good if I'm working abroad, or even in Chiang Mai!

Ill be needing to open a bank account next week...ill have AU$ with me is it best to open an account and stick all my AU$ currency in there or should i shop around and buy baht off the street exchanges for a better rate? will the rate be that different to the bank? I know here in australia $1AU = 24thb which is ridculous because in Thailand im sure i can get 28thb for $1AU off the street exchanges?

any advice much appreciated.... and do i just need my passport in order to set this account up? and will they provide me with an Eftpos card straight away? as i will need to be able to access my funds...thanks in advance

Edited by mekka

In april i opened an account at SCB in Patong with a visa on arrival; never asked for a WP.

last month a friend of mine visiting me did the same.

I find them very friendly , same with SCB in cherngtalay.

I have now a SFF SCBAM account providing between 4 and 5% interets instead of the 1% of the saving account and you only need one day to transfert from this account to your saving account.

hey scalper...thanks for the reply, when u set up the savings account did they issue an eftpos card straight away? And have u heard of the Visa Electron labelled card...supposedly u dont get charged fee's for using it in different provinces etc? can anyone elaborate on this? and can i get one of these issued with my savings account?

Please avoid the Krung Thai. They have some highly inconsistent and illogical policies towards foreigners.

Also as a government bank, they are protected from the normal forces of competition and so have little incentive to improve customer service.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As several others have said SCB in Cherng Thalee is good, and the manageress, Khun Daranee, is very helpful.

I opened business and personal accounts there without much formality, in order to escape the bureaucratic horrors of Bangkok Bank, who are not known as the 'dinosaur bank' for nothing!

SCB's personal internet banking is OK, but only allows transfers between accounts, or bill payments to previously specified recipients. To do that you have to go into your branch and fill in a tedious form, and supply a copy of your passport. The recipient will then appear on the internet site within a few days. Obviously such a cumbersome system is useless for ad-hoc single payments and transfers: you may as well just go to the branch and pay there.

SCB will issue an ATM card immediately, but it is very difficult to get a credit card, even with a low credit limit, and even if you have substantial funds going through your account, and/or other cards to use as a reference.

Their ATM card can be used as a debit card in most shops, but it is not possible to have a second debit card on the same account for a partner, or in my case, a secretary.

In my opinion banking in Thailand does not come close to international standards. Simple things require a lot of buggering about, personally going in to your branch and waiting in line etc. In contrast, I have not been into my UK bank branch for years, and my Singapore bank, never.

BTW, one thing to remember if you are transferring money to Thailand, always ask for a ‘Foreign Form’ (formerly known as a TT3) to enable repatriation of the funds in the future.

Good luck!

I've had business accounts in Patong with Thai Military Bank, SCB, Bank of Ayuthya and Kasikorn Bank. Basically I've had very bad experiences with all of them and now I detest Thai banks. The service is awful and they've all been as bad as each other. Over the last 5 years I've wasted so much time in these banks it's not funny.

I've ended up sticking with Kasikorn Bank in Patong for my business, basically because it's the one that my credit card merchant account is with.