British professor wins US$700k for solving 300-year-old math equation

webfact

Professor wins $700k for solving 300-year-old math equation

By Sheena McKenzie, CNN

(CNN)It was a problem that had baffled mathematicians for centuries -- until British professor Andrew Wiles set his mind to it.

"There are no whole number solutions to the equation xn + yn = zn when n is greater than 2."

Otherwise known as "Fermat's Last Theorem," this equation was first posed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in 1637, and had stumped the world's brightest minds for more than 300 years.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/16/europe/fermats-last-theorem-solved-math-abel-prize/index.html

cnn.com.jpg

-- CNN 2016-03-18

Wrong equation posted in this article. That n is the power of the three variables x,y and z.

Thanks, fixed the OP. The article linked to is correct so something went awry in the copy / paste.

EDIT Looks like he cracked it in 1994, did he not tell anyone??

Wrong equation posted in this article. That n is the power of the three variables x,y and z.

Thanks, fixed the OP. The article linked to is correct so something went awry in the copy / paste.

20 year old news is what one comes to expect of CNN wink.png

EDIT to add -- my bad -- it was only now that he got the dosh ;)

Edited by jpinx

Off-topic posts removed. Commenting on the sources of news, why it is posted and other comments will earn suspensions. If you do not wish to comment, you are under no obligation to do so, but the superfluous comments directed at the news team, or sources is not permitted.

British. Suppose he is English then. British institutional racism at its best Scotland for Scots. Wales for Welch. Ireland for Irish. But English British .

Institutional racism? Posters on here get worse by the day.

Why do you suppose he's English? What is Welch, a Shadows guitarist?

Ireland is not part of the British Commonwealth, Irish people are not British, they're Irish. Citizens of Northern Ireland are British though.

British. Suppose he is English then. British institutional racism at its best Scotland for Scots. Wales for Welch. Ireland for Irish. But English British .

What's your problem, sad because you didn't solve the equation, you seem to have issues, your comment has NOTHING to do with the op. Wish I could understand what the equation is all about.

Ireland is not part of the British Commonwealth, Irish people are not British, they're Irish. Citizens of Northern Ireland are British though.

Almost right but not quite.

Citizens of NI are not British but UK (Britain & NI) citizens.

I suggest you read the book my Simon Singh.

Then try to find a proof that might fit into Fermat's footnotes space. Or proove there is no such compact proof, and hence prove Fermat was bragging and couldn't back it up.

That's the real remaining challenge.

Almost right but not quite.

Citizens of NI are not British but UK (Britain & NI) citizens.

They are also Irish citizens. ;)

Perhaps our mathematician friend can solve the age-old problem of who is English and who is British?...

smile.png

Not that anyone really cares, so I'll call back in 300 years smile.png:)smile.png

It's such a dinky place, don't you all know each other.

WOW! what a brain, a 300 year old question. So,come on then clever clogs.What did come first,the chicken or the egg?

neither. there must have been some sort of intermediate form that looked like both the chicken and the egg.

WOW! what a brain, a 300 year old question. So,come on then clever clogs.What did come first,the chicken or the egg?

The obvious answer is, the chicken, which I theorized was morphed from another species into and egg laying species.

He misplaced the back of the cigarette packet!

Okay, but what about Somchai's theorem?

If you give the Thai clerk 1,000 baht for a 150 baht purchase = you will get 350 baht change.

Nice 1 ! By far the best post here sofar, I laughed my socks off !