Horrific bus crash in Korat leaves 4 dead, 25 injured, driver flees the scene

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive travelled in this bus about 4 months ago, i sat next to the driver because the bus was full, and i noticed a big warning signal that the brakes ECU unit wasnt working and the bus should stop immediatly. instead the driver drove 120 130 KMH and said to me there was no problem.

SO IM SURE THE BRAKES DIDNT WORK

I know how to stop this:

Starting from tomollow: Anybody who can film a bus driving over the max. speed and uploads it to the government gets a bonus of 10.000 baht which the driver will have to pay.

Easy as that!

Starting from tomorrow: Spate of news articles about people being run over by buses immediately after stepping out of government reward payment office.

The driver took his bus to the mechanic and said, "The brakes don't work. Can you fix the horn?"

In all seriousness, it is possible the brakes were recently fixed. The mechanics here are often as incompetent as the drivers.

New survival plan. Right side of bus in an isle seat

Sit near the front - the bus will rear end someone else.

Sit near the back - the bus will get rear-ended.

Sit in the middle - the bus will get t-boned.

Take your pick and roll the dice.

Or spend the extra 1000b and fly.

The planes seem to stay in the air and not crash into the back of other planes.

Newer survival plan. Fly.

For example, cheaper to fly Khon Kaen --> Chiang Mai than take the bus (flights start in 2 weeks). That is a particularly bus accident-prone route.

Edited by Fookhaht

Perhaps what the authorities need to do is take all public service vehicles off the road until they have a licence that says they are safe to be operated on the public highway. No licence no job/income. Yes I know its inconvenient, so is death and leaving the job to others has not worked so a shock is required.

Seat belts to be fitted, working and in use or passengers get a fine.

Checked and maintained on a regular basis with who is responsible for the checking and work.

Spot checks of public service vehicles.

Well thats a start, some in the Land Transport Ministry can now get a good idea bonus and do the job they are paid to do.

This makes so much sense, unfortunately it will never happen! sad...

Or spend the extra 1000b and fly.

The planes seem to stay in the air and not crash into the back of other planes.

Often cheaper to fly but most Thais only use the internet for FB/Line.

Not sure they even know/use search engines

I do not do the busses any more, effin idiots at the pointy end.

My last trips we sat on the right on the bottom last seat (near toilet). The rational being the driver will try to protect himself before any one else and the toilet bulkhead will provide added structural integredary. NOT WITHSTANDING that did not work the <deleted> tried to kill us anyway by sliding into a ditch on the medium strip. For whatever reason the bus did not over turn = Lotto tickets all round.

"The police said the 18-wheel trailer with asphalt loads was at the rear of a number of trucks waiting for weight checks at the station when the bus rammed at its rear."

and more poorly planned highways with trucks lined up back onto the "highway". like the u-turn lanes and the line of cars stopped in the fast lane waiting to turn right.

You are correct in that planning is pretty useless, but so are incompetent drivers who seriously exceed the speed limit, use booze/ drugs, are sleep deprived, and couldn't care less about other people's lives.

How often do they check the brakes on buses , and when is the maintenance done ? If the government could make up some new laws that prevent dangerous vehicles to be used for public transportation maybe some lifes could be saved.

I do not do the busses any more, effin idiots at the pointy end.

My last trips we sat on the right on the bottom last seat (near toilet). The rational being the driver will try to protect himself before any one else and the toilet bulkhead will provide added structural integredary. NOT WITHSTANDING that did not work the <deleted> tried to kill us anyway by sliding into a ditch on the medium strip. For whatever reason the bus did not over turn = Lotto tickets all round.

Getting sprayed the with shi# sitting there will probably kill you long term

Certainly adds some critical thinking and food for thought into the subject at hand of 4 killed and 25 injured.

Jesus wept, can you not read between the lines?

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Driver yelling brakes don't work, then immediately drives into back of a 18wheeler? Brakes completely failed at that exact moment. Don't buy it.

With you on that one.

Most drivers leg it as they are under the influence of something to help them stay awake on those long night journeys and need to get it out of their system before handing themselves in.

What he meant was "I'm travelling so fast that my stopping distance is more than the distance between this bus and the truck".

Probably after he'd just woken from a little nap.

Edited by jesimps

When oh when will the Thai government wake up and require all buses fitted with speed limiters, to stop this daily carnage.

Sorry Colin but when will you wake up and realise that life here is worthless and that the govt and many Thais dont care...............I know you probably do know this already

The driver took his bus to the mechanic and said, "The brakes don't work. Can you fix the horn?"

INCORRECT surely you mean headlight high beam flasher................."Im coming thru get the fooook outta my way"

Passengers said they heard the driver shouting that the brakes had stopped working. However, when emergency services attended the scene, the driver had already fled and police are currently searching for him.

The four men who died were reported to have been killed instantly such was the impact of the collision. The other injured passengers were transferred to Maharat and Nong Song Hospitals.

The driver of the truck which was loaded with asphalt said he was turning onto the weighbridge when the bus struck his truck.

How did a driver who fled the scene make a statement???

When oh when will the Thai government wake up and require all buses fitted with speed limiters, to stop this daily carnage.

Or when will the Thai step up and tell those drivers to drive according the trafficlaws? It seems they don't care at all.

You are transferring Western concepts to a non-Western society. Doesn't work.

Point of being in authority here is to line your own pocket, elevate your social status and your family's and to create an invisible protection shield against any form of attack, legal, physical, financial, you name it.

This applies to all those with power, politicians, police, civil servants, military, anyone who could improve this appalling road safety record.

And "facial". You forgot facial.

and if they spent as much time with proper maintenance and training as they do with the incredibly elaborate airbrush paint jobs and decorative LED lights which do nothing on these buses, maybe we could cut these stories down to once a month instead of once a week. fiberglass death traps.

"...as they do with the incredibly elaborate airbrush paint jobs and decorative LED lights..."

Of which this bus had neither...

It is so sad.

Out of interest how often do brakes" fail" on long distance coaches in Europe/UK/USA or on cars for that matter. My guess would be hardly ever, even if they are poorly maintained. Many of these buses are Mercedes. They should all be recalled if there is a design fault. As to the drivers and bus companies I think prosecutions for murder and manslaughter should be initiated. As I have said my family not allowed anywhere near a bus or a minibus. Not much I can do about a Mercedes travelling at 200kph except later on have the Luk Nong take care of the driver.