Fed Up With So Called Higher Management

AlexLah

Hi all,

I am kinda fed up with the so called higher management.

They think they make the right decision but have no idea what is happening here in Asia.

Higher management stay at HQ and travel to Asia 2 x a year. Based on that they make the plan.

Management in Asia just follow the direction HQ is giving.

I know what is needed to be sucesfull but higher management just do not listen as well as Asia management.

I know they do not really like me as I always tell the truth.

What would you do?

Just follow them or raise your voice risking your job?

Alex

I am a contractor in Telecommunications and go where the work is.

I spent 7 months in Pakistan last year and worked for 5 different managers (all expats) in that time.

This year I worked in Bangladesh for 2 months.

My problem is similar to Alexlah in that I am honest. I always ask my managers if they want good news all the time or the truth.

The always say tell me the truth, so I do, and most of the time the truth does not quite fit the picture that has to go to head office.

Unfortunately I was fired from Pakistan followed a month later by most of the other expats to save money. The manager who got rid of me did not even have the decency or courtesy to tell me and it was left to higher management.

I left Bangladesh for a similar reason plus I had to come back to Thailand for a heart operation. 4 months later the project was pulled as the end customer was not satisfied with only 40% of the work completed in the allotted time.

In my trade it used to be said, never mind the price just look at the quality. Now it is a case of never mind the quality (we can fix that) just look at the price.

You get what you pay for most of the time, pay peanuts get monkeys. If you want more, pay bananas.

Alexlah, my honest advice to you is this;

If you need the job and the money, keep quiet, smile a lot and take the money, but ALWAYS cover your ass.

If you don't and think that you can do a better job, then tell your bosses what they need to know, but remember, be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Ok I just recieved some very interesting news/e-mail.

As my company will have a new market/sales manager for Asia they asked me to move back to SG to work closely with him and learn him what is needed to do in Asia.

Ok I proposed them I will stay in Thailand and travel every two months to SG in order to update eachother on the market developments together with the product managers.

January I will stay one month in SG to help him understand the bizz here in Asia.

I feel good now knowing that they appreciate my experience and knowledge.

thanx all!

Alex

Managers eh? who needs 'em! Unfortunatly managment in most cases consists of empire building, surrounding the immediate position with personel that are compliant, in agreement with policy and of lower IQ. If you're the type that really 'can do and knows how' you will probably remain in a position where you are doing the hard work as someone else takes the glory. how many in upper managment really deal with the day to day grind that generates the large proportion of income for a company? What can you do? go postal or step back and concentrate on the things you do outside of work? surely the life you have outside of work is more important and work is just a means to an end, be careful of expressing your feelings to your boss, there is a proverb that says "when the crocodile carries you across the river, wait until you get to the other side to tell him his breath stinks."

Ok I just recieved some very interesting news/e-mail.

As my company will have a new market/sales manager for Asia they asked me to move back to SG to work closely with him and learn him what is needed to do in Asia.

Ok I proposed them I will stay in Thailand and travel every two months to SG in order to update eachother on the market developments together with the product managers.

January I will stay one month in SG to help him understand the bizz here in Asia.

I feel good now knowing that they appreciate my experience and knowledge.

thanx all!

Alex

Good for you Alex. Just remember you don't have to tell him all you know, just in case.

Bill

Thanks all for the comments and advice!

Yes I was a bit frustrated seeing all the opportunities in Asia and some management

not being pro active.

Travelling 30-40 weeks a year I see a pattern and when the year ends it just gets too much sometimes. Just looking back on all the things that were done but as well thinking of how many other things could have been achieved.

Quote Robski: If you're the type that really 'can do and knows how' you will probably remain in a position where you are doing the hard work as someone else takes the glory.

Yes this is true and I am aware of it as well as my HR manager and already in the picture at some competitor company (not that I will leave my company but it is nice to know).

Oh and Robski, I will certainly think of the crocodile :o

Cheers all,

Alex

Boy, i feel good now :D

I've forgotten how shitty the corporate world can be, and how glad I was to leave it... :D

:o

Could not agree more...the rat race is WON:D

I worked for a Company for 14 years and was controlled by "Fear Management". One day I just chucked the office keys on my bosses desk and walked out.....the owners could not do enough for me once I walked out..things were MUCH Better after that..just wished I had done it sooner.

One typical Tuesday, I drove 150 miles at 5.30pm (after being in the Office since 8am) to deliver some artwork and took my performance review letter with me to read when I eventually got to my hotel. I had to be in bed at 9.00pm to get to the typesetters for 3am. I did not have time to read it. I left the typesetters at 7am having proof read the paper and drove the finished artwork 200 miles to the printers. Then another 150 miles back to work, arriving at about 11am to start my day. having covered 500 miles in about 15 hours as well as working during that time

When I got home after these virtual 36 hour non stop shifts I opened the letter and the thing that immeditaley struck me was that my Boss said i did not show enough commitment.!

That was it... enough was enough

Edited by ThaiPauly

I think it's a common problem to have superiors who have no idea of what needs to be done and much worse for them to have no idea what you are trying to tell them. It may be that I sound like I'm bragging but I knew my job very well and much better than my former bosses. That said, I hung in there until I had a better offer and I always got a better offer. The very last place I worked I had a boss who was VERY sharp and he indeed knew more than I knew. It was such a pleasure to work for someone who actually knew what I was talking about.

I'm just VERY happy that is all behind me now. :o

Hi Gary,

Yep it would be nice to work with someone that is on the same level, I agree.

I will just have to wait and see what this new guy is up to.

And as adviced I will be carefull and make sure not to be too clever as from experience that is not

appreciated within the 'Hi so' :o

Has anyone ever read the book: How to manage your manager?

I wanted to buy it but not sure if it is worth the money.

Take care all and have a nice day!