Estimate Cost for Shoulder Decompression Surgery

bkkbudddy

Greetings

I just want to share approximate cost to have arthroscopy of shoulder to relieve subacromial impingement. I received 2 estimates from Bangkok and Bumrungrad Hospitals.

Bangkok Hospital: Total cost is approximately 336,000 - 346,000 THB with 2 nights in standard room!

Bumrungrad Hospital: Total cost is approximately 304,700 - 331,100 THB with one night in a general Ward.

These costs doesn't include additional doctors visit, take home medications and any expenses not related to the procedure!

Even though I have medical insurance, the cost is exorbitant and my out of pocket cost will be extremely high! Therefore, I decided to go back to Hawaii and have the procedure there!

Sheryl,

No, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, PPO Medical Insurance (HMSA). I'll have the surgery at an outpatient surgery center without overnight stay! My out of pocket cost after insurance reimbursement will be less than 700 dollars! As an expat living in Bangkok, my MO is emergency surgery have it in Bangkok, elective surgery have it Hawaii!

My concern is out of pocket expense, if I have the procedure done in Bangkok, my out of pocket expense will be approximately 3,000 dollars!

Edited by bkkbudddy

FYI, it sounds like you got these estimates via emails to the hospitals which is always a mistake, such emails get answered by international marketing people and the costs are always elevated. In addition, the people replying are not medical personnel and not infrequently get procedures mixed up.

It is not necessary to stay overnight for this and I think you could get it done for about 250-280K at the hospitals mentioned. But this is still far more than it will cost you in Hawaii so makes sense to go back there.

Sheryl,

No, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, PPO Medical Insurance (HMSA). I'll have the surgery at an outpatient surgery center without overnight stay! My out of pocket cost after insurance reimbursement will be less than 700 dollars! As an expat living in Bangkok, my MO is emergency surgery have it in Bangkok, elective surgery have it Hawaii!

My concern is out of pocket expesse, if I have the procedure done in Bangkok, my out of pocket expense will be approximately 3,000 dollars!

And the cost of an airline ticket to Hawaii is?

Lefty

You mention $3000 for here in thailand and $700 in Hawaii?
Is this your co-pay through BCBS?

Why the difference?

This is being done in Hawaii at which hospital?
Cost of flight to Hawaii?
Total cost of hotels?
Total cost of transportation in Hawaii?

Sheryl,

My concern is out of pocket expense, if I have the procedure done in Bangkok, my out of pocket expense will be approximately 3,000 dollars!

If you have insurance why is your "out of pocket" expense so high ? perhaps a breakdown would be nice.

Type in google "shoulder decompression surgery Calcutta"

Dozens of surgeons there,nearest point two hours away from BKK stay away from Apollo chain,more expensive than most but far less so than here in Thailand,typically one tenth to one twentieth the cost of Thailand medical care and far better medical experience. Y'all feel right at home,more yanks floating around there than southern CA

Just picked one of many,no need for this one..try Desun hospital Calcutta too,may give published quote

Even if I had overly expensive medical insurance I would not choose Thailand for anything surgical with the evidence abounding,just get that 'plane to back 'ome or India,or anywhere for that matter

Shoulder Treatments -.htm

Edited by loppylugs1