TMB account.

I have just gone down to my local [Ayutthaya] TMB bank to open a account, i am a aussie married to a thai, i am in the house book, when i did try to make the account i was asked for a work permit, i am retired , sorry we cannot make account?? i was told that if i put it in my wife's name that is okay, so i walked out , does anybody have some answers to this, never got around to seeing my passport , i am confused.

Thanks in advance.

Try their webchat

https://tmbwebchat.tmbbank.com/Genesys/Chat/Login.jsp

They tried the same game with me, at that time the website had requirements for opening an account in English.

That link seems to have gone now.

But when they said I couldn't join, I pointed them to their own website where it clearly said in English.

Two forms of photo ID required for foreigners.

I used my passport and my Thai DL.

Or try a branch in a shopping Mall, they are usually more foreigner friendly.

Normally the staff can't be bothered to interact in English, so thay just say 'can't do' to get rid of you.

Try their webchat

https://tmbwebchat.tmbbank.com/Genesys/Chat/Login.jsp

They tried the same game with me, at that time the website had requirements for opening an account in English.

That link seems to have gone now.

But when they said I couldn't join, I pointed them to their own website where it clearly said in English.

Two forms of photo ID required for foreigners.

I used my passport and my Thai DL.

Or try a branch in a shopping Mall, they are usually more foreigner friendly.

Normally the staff can't be bothered to interact in English, so thay just say 'can't do' to get rid of you.

I opened an account at Maya no problem.

I had the same problem with TMB in Bangkok. Head office 'says' you need a work permit or Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

However immigration in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana) will not issue C of Rs for the purposes of obtaining a bank account..

But don't go away, just ask for C of R for (choose) A: buying/selling a car/motorbike or B: applying for a car/motorbike driving license.

Wait about a week and it will arrive in the post. This was accepted by my TMB branch.