Filtered water ok to drink?

Kenny202

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have been drinking rain water for probably nine years. I have a stainless steel filter that holds eighteen liters of activated charcoal. The water then goes through a three filter small unit with the final filter being ceramic. Maybe overkill but I had the small three filter unit before I bought the big filter so I still use it. The water is totally without taste and we have had no problems.

Why would you need to filter rain water?

I too use filtered rain water for drinking, have for almost 20 years. tastes great and never a problem.

Why filter? Because the catchment process usually involves the rain water hitting and running off the roof into some sort of storage tank. Dirt, bugs etc get introduced in the process. Filter takes this out.

Had a filter and drank the water for last 5 years. Not dead yet so I suppose it's ok.

as a tourist, many rainy seasons ago, i used to enjoy quite often Thai street food. then i caught amoebiasis. due to a certain acquired immunity level living in 3rd world countries no side effects for months giving the little buggers ample time to destroy one third of my liver.

then the bubble burst when doing weight lifting causing an extremely dangerous abdominal infection and i spent 12 days in intensive care following another 6 weeks of ingesting strong antibiotics. luckily i didn't die but until today i don't think it's ok for me to have street food again.

here in Bangkok.

the pipes in our building are stainless steel 18 years old and full of debris. We need to replace them. I know because I can see what builds up quickly in the toilet tanks, in the small debris screen of faucets and have seen pipes that failed and were replaced. The inside showed serious debris build up. Shocking.

Not sure if it is the water that is dirty when it comes in or if it gets dirty on the way in or up at the tank at top. stainless steel pipes are not helping. the replacement will be these 'green' plastic ones that are the standard (not PVC blue) and can handle pressure required by law.

I don't like washing dishes in the water or showering. we are getting a filter system for the water coming in, and maybe another for drinking water. For years we have used bottled water Sprinkle for drinking and cooking.

Had a filter and drank the water for last 5 years. Not dead yet so I suppose it's ok.

all we hear is from those who have not died from it, How about we hear from those who have? Come on dead guys , any input on the subject?

suggested ratio: single malt 9 / water 1 thumbsup.gif

The Amalekites may call you Philistine!

no Amalekites left. they are extinct. reason: drinking water that has not been properly decontaminated.

argumentum ad ignorantiam!

apologists have proved that the head distiller went on leave and the apprentice didn't discard the "heads"

Edited by mayview

I thought bottled water went through a reverse osmosis treatment. Does anyone know why bottled water (even Evian - naïve spelt backwards), has a salt like residue after freezing and thawing?

Evian is a water containing various minerals. RO would remove these minerals as well as the marketing reasons.

I thought bottled water went through a reverse osmosis treatment. Does anyone know why bottled water (even Evian - naïve spelt backwards), has a salt like residue after freezing and thawing?

It's called "mineral water" for a reason!

Limescale is a well known problem, the white deposits that appear in kettles and around the spout of taps (faucets). Out here in Isaan there are salts too, they'd leave a white deposit.

This is why demineralised water is used for topping up batteries.

We have been drinking rain water for probably nine years. I have a stainless steel filter that holds eighteen liters of activated charcoal. The water then goes through a three filter small unit with the final filter being ceramic. Maybe overkill but I had the small three filter unit before I bought the big filter so I still use it. The water is totally without taste and we have had no problems.

Why would you need to filter rain water?

Bird shit, perhaps?

Limescale is a well known problem, the white deposits that appear in kettles and around the spout of taps (faucets). Out here in Isaan there are salts too, they'd leave a white deposit.

speaking of I had a coffee before and noticed some crunchy bits. Looked in the bottom of the stainless kettle and lots of scale. How can I descale it? (Stove top kettle)

speaking of I had a coffee before and noticed some crunchy bits. Looked in the bottom of the stainless kettle and lots of scale. How can I descale it? (Stove top kettle)

The most inexpensive option would be to buy water from the RO machines present in most markets for 4 baht/2 litres, then boil it.

Filters mostly work; however, I'm not aware of a filter that can tell you what its condition is or an activated carbon/charcoal filter that indicates its level of exhaustion. Some filter manufacturers have backwash procedures to deal with this.

It really depends on how much anyone wants to spend on a system to get rid of pathogens and improve taste. Activated charcoal is mainly there to extract nasty-tasting compounds. Some organic compounds can give a mouldy taste to water at the part per trillion level.

Boiling is the simplest and safest way to produce potable water. If it tastes bad after that, there's a real problem.

EDTA ( Ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid, disodium salt ) will dissolve calcium sulphate deposits. If it's calcium carbonate, plain old vinegar

( 20% acetic acid ) will do.

Note: Chemical supply houses in Thailand are few and far between.

timestamp="1458728175"]

Hi tim.

Its just not the kettle but probably all the water pipes, water heater, pumps, washing machine that are being effected too. Over time, you're probably going to have problems in and around the house.

Could be a good idea to get the incoming water tested and filter out the problem.

Failing that, buy a new jug, or clean the jug with CLR.

Edited by carlyai

happy with well water

in a country with a godzillion septic tanks most of them not working properly? sick.gif

Godzillion ? I wish I was a Godzillionaire !

Go to Vietnam with 10,000 USD and change into dong. You'll be getting close.

I have a 5 stage drinking water filter system. It does not have UV or reverse osmosis. After installing, I let about 5 gallons flow through the system. Letting the system set overnight, I then used an approve water test kit I bought from Amazon. The results of the tests were all within US water standards with the exception of water hardness, being a little high. This was corrected by adding an alkaline filter. The water is from the local village well 9 km's NE of Surin.

I have a 5 stage drinking water filter system. It does not have UV or reverse osmosis. After installing, I let about 5 gallons flow through the system. Letting the system set overnight, I then used an approve water test kit I bought from Amazon. The results of the tests were all within US water standards with the exception of water hardness, being a little high. This was corrected by adding an alkaline filter. The water is from the local village well 9 km's NE of Surin.

Your filtering setup sounds interesting, can you give us a pic and brand/model # of your water filter system? Is it a 'whole house' filter system that is installed outside your house? Where do you buy replacement filters?

My system brand is Colandas and was purchased at Big C Surin last year. They are now selling another brand that looks very similar. I have seen similar products at Home Pro, Global House and other home stores. My system was originally 5 stage filtration and I added the limestone filter later. It is a drinking and cooking water system only and can not be used as a whole house system. Whole house filters basically remove sediment and larger particles from your water for bathing and clothes washing and have a high volume flow. Drinking water filters remove particles 5 microns and smaller. A micron is 1000th of a millimeter. They do not have a high volume output to supply water fast enought to bathe or fill a washer. Also the water pressure in your line is a factor on how long it takes to fill a glass of water. Lazada website has Colandas and several other similar brands. Colandas replacement filters cost around 500 baht a set. Some people recommend reverse osmosis systems, but you waste a lot of water that by-passes the membrane and goes down the drain, as much as 25 to 50 percent. Also with reverse osmosis systems you have to have sufficient water pressure for the system to work properly. I think after you install any cartridge filter system you should have the water tested, then make any changes to improve water quality if needed.

unfortunately the most important criterion, namely harmful bacteria, can't be checked with a water testing kit.

unfortunately the most important criterion, namely harmful bacteria, can't be checked with a water testing kit.

I have being following this thread with great interest . It is a subject that I am concerned with in Thailand,right now not a problem, as I only spend a few months at the time in Thailand, but in a couple of years when I retire and spend more time there, certainly a subject I need to get better educated on,

a lot of good information in this thread, and I like to say I appreciate it.

I did a search on google "water bacteria test" and it seems that there are a lot of inexpensive bacteria testing kits. not sure how available in Thailand.

Any way, great thread.smile.png

I have being following this thread with great interest . It is a subject that I am concerned with in Thailand,right now not a problem, as I only spend a few months at the time in Thailand, but in a couple of years when I retire and spend more time there, certainly a subject I need to get better educated on,

I did a search on google "water bacteria test" and it seems that there are a lot of inexpensive bacteria testing kits. not sure how available in Thailand.

The good news about bacteria is, you don't need to think about it once you have a properly sized UV irradiation system. Even better is, because these drinking water filters already have low flow rates, they're cheap to add too: http://www.duan-daw.com/category/43/uv-%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B5-2

Probably as cheap as a test kit you wouldn't need if you had one :)

The good news about bacteria is, you don't need to think about it once you have a properly sized UV irradiation system. Even better is, because these drinking water filters already have low flow rates, they're cheap to add too: http://www.duan-daw.com/category/43/uv-%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B5-2

Probably as cheap as a test kit you wouldn't need if you had one smile.png

There is no need to check for bacteria, viruses or oocytes if the water has been boiled. All organisms have been destroyed.

UV irradiation does not kill oocytes such as giardia and cryptosporidia, although any worthwhile filter should remove such organisms.

The good news about bacteria is, you don't need to think about it once you have a properly sized UV irradiation system. Even better is, because these drinking water filters already have low flow rates, they're cheap to add too: http://www.duan-daw.com/category/43/uv-ยูวี-2

Probably as cheap as a test kit you wouldn't need if you had one smile.png

thanks IMHO! the 80 Watt unit i use for my pool is soon due to be replaced, cost 32,000 Baht dry.png any input from the resident experts to replace the unit with 3 x 25 or 3 x 30 Watts and saving a bundle?

if yes, how would you install... series or parallel? plumbing is not a problem. my assistant and i plumb anything that's not up on a tree by the count of "three" laugh.png