Urgent appeal for information on missing French man last seen in Surat Thani

webfact

Diving to 60m is not exactly recreational diving...

I was wondering what this has to do with him going missing, assuming he did surface after the dive, if he went missing shortly after the dive possibly he could be now in a coma somewhere or even worse.

On just compressed air wouldn't be advisable, and I'd guess need a deco stop or two, depending on bottom time. I haven't dived in a while and don't have tables in front of me, but it would be possible that it's had an effect if in fact it was 60 meters and not 60 feet. Suffering narcosis is a real possibility.

As he is French, his girlfriend is French, and diving in Thailand, I doubt we are talking imperial measurements here...

60m is outside the realms of recreational diving, you are talking technical diving, Air mixes that include probably helium, 3 or more air tanks, different air mixes, many stops on the assent.

As I recall a dive to 50m with a bottom time of 30 mins had safety stops on the assent totalling 40 mins.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing coming from this forum that is making matters worse in this case is the victim-blaming coffee1.gif .

Who's a victim? No one thing suggests he has met with foul play. Please give us a link or a statement or something to support your "victim" claim.

If it is found he was attacked, then he'll be a victim. Right now all available facts point to a health failure- and if so, he certainly was responsible for it. Is that a nanny- state thing? To be a victim when your own poor choices lead to poor health?

As he is French, his girlfriend is French, and diving in Thailand, I doubt we are talking imperial measurements here...

60m is outside the realms of recreational diving, you are talking technical diving, Air mixes that include probably helium, 3 or more air tanks, different air mixes, many stops on the assent.

As I recall a dive to 50m with a bottom time of 30 mins had safety stops on the assent totalling 40 mins.

So everyone would agree, a risky dive in the best of health. This man is 46, overweight, a smoker, had a leg infection, was on medication, been running a fever and just gotten off a flight, so...

it must be connected to Koh Tao !!

"But how do you know he was walking fine?"

If he was struggling to walk, it's hard to imagine why he would have wandered off on the spur of the moment to look for a 7/11 (that's a bit of sensible speculation by the way).

"Therefore plenty of evidence exists his health may well have been a factor in his disappearance."

There is no evidence whatsoever of the above. It's just the likes of yourself repeating unsubstantiated speculation based on tenuous connection, and repeating it ad-nauseam, with non-seqiteurs about alien abductions and suchlike thrown in, in the hope that the pure speculation will strike a chord.

"Exonerate the island? As far as I know not one death or disappearance is unsolved of locals or tourists. There have been rumours of this and that, IMO to deflect certain unpleasant truths, but no substantiation of such."

cheesy.gif I think it's clear where you're coming from with regard to Koh Tao.

By the way, whilst it's my opinion at this stage that a Koh Tao connection to Jean's disappearance is unlikely, only a fool or someone with an agenda would completely rule it out.

And it's just as clear you'll promote a rumour of murderers on the loose killing witnesses off ( re September 14, 2014 murders)

[No need for a emoticon to convey my meaning.]

To use your words-only a fool or someone with an agenda would completely disregard the only known facts from the original post-which are;

He had a leg infection, had a fever, was on medication for one- or both (not stated), he is a smoker, diving to depths one should not do when all of the above are in play. I also note from his FB page he's overweight and has quite the paunch. Not a young man, either as was posted above- age 46. That's when unhealthy lifestyle choices begin to catch up with folks, especially in high risk occupations.

There is no evidence he has met with foul play, and is a "victim" although I'm sure defenders of the convicted rapists and murderers ( Of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller) Wai Phyo and Win Zaw would like to have rumours swirling this is the case- as a communique I have seen from their defenders directs.

IMO any claim " something to do with Koh tao.." is not only pure speculation, but seeks to also add in the 01/08/2016 Luke Miller death as something more than an accident.

You also wrote;

he was walking OK....

But when I ask how you know that, where's the link to the video you saw, you have none and instead deflect with a presumptive declaration ( as is the norm) " If he were this... he wouldn't do that...." Seen a lot of that in other threads re the L Miller death. Didn't convince me then, and won't now.

Question: How do you KNOW he was walking OK ? Answer: You don't.

If members of the family are reading this, my scenario, based on facts known would be of most comfort, he is ill, and lost within a hospital ward somewhere- or even possibly at home- or at a friends, blissfully unaware he is missing.

I was wondering what this has to do with him going missing, assuming he did surface after the dive, if he went missing shortly after the dive possibly he could be now in a coma somewhere or even worse.

On just compressed air wouldn't be advisable, and I'd guess need a deco stop or two, depending on bottom time. I haven't dived in a while and don't have tables in front of me, but it would be possible that it's had an effect if in fact it was 60 meters and not 60 feet. Suffering narcosis is a real possibility.

60m dive on air is fine. 65m is pushing the limit due to oxygen toxicity.

Given that friends and local rescue service are actively searching for him, I think it can be safely assumed he is not at home.

Aside from hospitals it would be well to check police stations and jails including IDC if there is one in Surat since he would have been without a passport. From original post, he was disoriented. A farang wandering about in that condition with no ID and possibly unable to clearly explain himself could have been detained by police. As with hospitals I would not rely on records or phone calls to eliminate this possibility.

Sheryl.post # 64.

Given that friends and local rescue service are actively searching for him, I think it can be safely assumed he is not at home.

Aside from hospitals it would be well to check police stations and jails including IDC if there is one in Surat since he would have been without a passport. From original post, he was disoriented. A farang wandering about in that condition with no ID and possibly unable to clearly explain himself could have been detained by police. As with hospitals I would not rely on records or phone calls to eliminate this possibility.

There is no trace of him that is why appeals are being made, If the man had been picked up with all the appeals and general comments being made he would have been identified by now. Hospitals do not let their patient lie there for some 10-12 days without knowing or trying to find out who that patient may be. Prisoners especially foreigners do not languish in prison let alone I.D.C for 10-12 days without some other person noticing them there.

Any such actions concerning the possible settings of the like above involve a ''paper chain'' of records and also nowadays a cyber footprint as to who, what where and when. Just remember there is currently a high profile drive on over stayers. Now if this missing person had been picked up he would be displayed as a'' look we've got one detained trophy by the police.''

So why to date no trace of the missing person?

The longer this missing person situation goes on the more suspicious people become.

Do you have a dive planner for a 60m dive???

Its 2016, we use dive computer...

I'm sure you could dig one up at a yard sale though :)

The only thing coming from this forum that is making matters worse in this case is the victim-blaming coffee1.gif .

Who's a victim? No one thing suggests he has met with foul play. Please give us a link or a statement or something to support your "victim" claim.

If it is found he was attacked, then he'll be a victim. Right now all available facts point to a health failure- and if so, he certainly was responsible for it. Is that a nanny- state thing? To be a victim when your own poor choices lead to poor health?

So everyone would agree, a risky dive in the best of health. This man is 46, overweight, a smoker, had a leg infection, was on medication, been running a fever and just gotten off a flight, so...

it must be connected to Koh Tao !!

"But how do you know he was walking fine?"

If he was struggling to walk, it's hard to imagine why he would have wandered off on the spur of the moment to look for a 7/11 (that's a bit of sensible speculation by the way).

"Therefore plenty of evidence exists his health may well have been a factor in his disappearance."

There is no evidence whatsoever of the above. It's just the likes of yourself repeating unsubstantiated speculation based on tenuous connection, and repeating it ad-nauseam, with non-seqiteurs about alien abductions and suchlike thrown in, in the hope that the pure speculation will strike a chord.

"Exonerate the island? As far as I know not one death or disappearance is unsolved of locals or tourists. There have been rumours of this and that, IMO to deflect certain unpleasant truths, but no substantiation of such."

cheesy.gif I think it's clear where you're coming from with regard to Koh Tao.

By the way, whilst it's my opinion at this stage that a Koh Tao connection to Jean's disappearance is unlikely, only a fool or someone with an agenda would completely rule it out.

And it's just as clear you'll promote a rumour of murderers on the loose killing witnesses off ( re September 14, 2014 murders)

[No need for a emoticon to convey my meaning.]

To use your words-only a fool or someone with an agenda would completely disregard the only known facts from the original post-which are;

He had a leg infection, had a fever, was on medication for one- or both (not stated), he is a smoker, diving to depths one should not do when all of the above are in play. I also note from his FB page he's overweight and has quite the paunch. Not a young man, either as was posted above- age 46. That's when unhealthy lifestyle choices begin to catch up with folks, especially in high risk occupations.

There is no evidence he has met with foul play, and is a "victim" although I'm sure defenders of the convicted rapists and murderers ( Of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller) Wai Phyo and Win Zaw would like to have rumours swirling this is the case- as a communique I have seen from their defenders directs.

IMO any claim " something to do with Koh tao.." is not only pure speculation, but seeks to also add in the 01/08/2016 Luke Miller death as something more than an accident.

You also wrote;

he was walking OK....

But when I ask how you know that, where's the link to the video you saw, you have none and instead deflect with a presumptive declaration ( as is the norm) " If he were this... he wouldn't do that...." Seen a lot of that in other threads re the L Miller death. Didn't convince me then, and won't now.

Question: How do you KNOW he was walking OK ? Answer: You don't.

If members of the family are reading this, my scenario, based on facts known would be of most comfort, he is ill, and lost within a hospital ward somewhere- or even possibly at home- or at a friends, blissfully unaware he is missing.

Like I said, speculative victim-blaming (no matter how much you dress it up or pad it out) is not helpful to anyone.

Like I said, speculative victim-blaming (no matter how much you dress it up or pad it out) is not helpful to anyone.

And like I wrote, baseless innuendo of foul play al la S.O.P. re Koh Tao is far more harmful to any family members who may be reading this.

Hospitals do not let their patient lie there for some 10-12 days without knowing or trying to find out who that patient may be...

I have known it to happen many times, especially government hospitals.

Agree. And it is the most likely place he is at. But unless a group of concerned people make an effort to physically canvas each and every bed, he may well not be discovered until he is able to walk out, and I hope that is the case.

And like I wrote, baseless innuendo of foul play al la S.O.P. re Koh Tao is far more harmful to any family members who may be reading this.

Nope. By far the most harmful for Jean's family and friends to read/hear about is the type of speculation offered by yourself that this situation is his fault. Every single thing that you can think of that has the slightest possibility of him contributing to his disappearance through some sort of alleged ill-health: he smokes; he's overweight; he's middle-aged; he's this; he's that. Any speculation to blame him, and not any other possible outside factor. Quite disgusting, really.

I guess some people are just serial victim-blamers, and particularly feel the need to start blaming when there is any kind of Koh Tao connection, no matter how tenuous.

Its 2016, we use dive computer...

I'm sure you could dig one up at a yard sale though smile.png

Do not need to dig one up at a yard sale.

Got one and on normal air (21% O2) it will not go any deeper than 45m

Nope. By far the most harmful for Jean's family and friends to read/hear about is the type of speculation offered by yourself that this situation is his fault. Every single thing that you can think of that has the slightest possibility of him contributing to his disappearance through some sort of alleged ill-health: he smokes; he's overweight; he's middle-aged; he's this; he's that. Any speculation to blame him, and not any other possible outside factor. Quite disgusting, really.

I guess some people are just serial victim-blamers, and particularly feel the need to start blaming when there is any kind of Koh Tao connection, no matter how tenuous.

I was the one pointing out this was in Surat Thani, not Koh Tao when you made references -paraphrasing " have to be fool.. to not consider the connection to Koh tao.."

So what other " victim" have I been serial blaming? I only know of two victims - David Milller and Hannah Witheridge and I sure haven't been blaming them for their brutal death.

So where did this info that he was sick, did a dive, had a fever and was on medication actually come from? I see no source for what the Samui Times published.

Here's a thought- he's not missing.

You're desperate (among other things).

new topic continues here:

Koh Tao French diving instructor found dead in Surat - police mystified
Thaivisa Reporters

SURAT THANI:-- Missing French diving instructor Jean-Francois Louet was found today dead in central Surat Thani, reports Thaivisa News.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/906629-koh-tao-french-diving-instructor-found-dead-in-surat-police-mystified/

//CLOSED//
/Admin

Archived