Just got my Thai drivers license in Chiang Rai

Staff were friendly, and spoke limited English.

No written test, and no class of any kind.

No eye chart test!

reaction time tested with a mock car set up with gas and brake.

Color blind test, including one with depth perception.

Nothing else if I remember correctly.

I converted from a US license, and they only gave me two years.

I guess that is usual.

You need-

A Residence certificate (LTO needs to give you a request form for this that you take to Immigration), medical certificate (I spent 10 minutes in a local clinic, and except for taking my blood pressure, everything else was sort of a joke), a couple photos 1” x 1" (this is what I checklist said, but I am almost certain they only took one), passport, and old license required. Take all this stuff (with a copy of both certs. and copy of the face and visa stamp pages of the passport) + re-entry card. Make sure you have the right visa page, which in my case was the (if I am naming this properly) The Extension stamp for being retired that I got 3 months after getting my Non-O

Cheers,

Charlie

medical certificate (I spent 10 minutes in a local clinic, and except for taking my blood pressure, everything else was sort of a joke)

Wow, blood pressure, what am an unusually in depth examination biggrin.png I never saw a doctor for this at all. Just the assistant fill out my data.

a couple photos 1” x 1" (this is what I checklist said, but I am almost certain they only took one),

Can not even remember whether I had to supply a photo at all.

I converted from a US license, and they only gave me two years.

I guess that is usual.

Yes, usual.

Temporary license for two years.

Next time you get 5 years.

They accepted the US DL without further requirements (translation or the like)?

All in all you are among the lucky ones with no extra hassle.

LTO: "DLT" is the English abbr. they use for Department of Land Transport.

I had the same experience earlier this month in Prachin Buri and converted my UK license into a temporary 2 year Thai license. I had an international drivers license too but they would not accept that. For proof of residency I had an Affirmation of Residency from the British embassy. Same tests, same cost, all done in just over an hour.

For proof of address, I showed yellow housebook.

Saving time and fare from trip to Immigration.

You will get validated until your upcoming birthday plus two(five) years.

You can (re)new AFTER your (expiring) birthday. Then you are not allowed to drive, but from then you get almost three(six) years validity.

I had an international drivers license too but they would not accept that. For proof of residency I had an Affirmation of Residency from the British embassy. Same tests, same cost, all done in just over an hour.

Good because all "international drivers licenses" are fakes (they are sold to people who think the are getting a real license)

Now if you had an International Driving Permit then that can be needed, depending upon the language of the license and the DLT office

4. ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF VALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE

IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED IN NO.4 -> TAKE ONLY A PHYSICAL TEST

A friend of mine took her driving test there... Paid the extra 1500bht to ensure the correct result..

I failed the the colour test at Pattaya they told me to come back the next day, thought what's the point my eyesight is going to change overnight of was there another motive ?

I had the same experience earlier this month in Prachin Buri and converted my UK license into a temporary 2 year Thai license. I had an international drivers license too but they would not accept that. For proof of residency I had an Affirmation of Residency from the British embassy. Same tests, same cost, all done in just over an hour.

Prachin Buri, is the same place as the Red Bull driver .

Be warned: In Phuket if you do not have an IDP with your other documents you will lose 3 days of your life after waiting 3 months for your appointment.

If you DO have and IDP with you, you will be in and out of the office in less than an hour.

If you do not have the IDP, apply for it by printing out the form available online and mailing it in and have it sent it to a friend or relative in your home country (unless it can be mailed to you here) and have them mail it to you here. It will be the smartest thing for the least amount of money you will do in your entire life.

Again..this is Phuket.

Second tip to save another several days of your life:

Get the car and motorbike DL the same day. Even if you plan never to use one or the other you never know and you will glad you don't have to go back. They can be done simultaneously.

I did not have time to get my IDP in the States before coming here and stupidly thought I would not need the car DL here. I lost 7 whole days (7 hours of which was watching the same movies twice) that I can never get back.

Good luck and I hope my lesson helps someone.

A friend of mine took her driving test there... Paid the extra 1500bht to ensure the correct result..

And we wonder why Thailand has 30,000 road deaths a year. Not criticising your friend; however, think of how many Thais do the same.

It's like putting the pilot of a small prop-driven aircraft at the joystick of a 747 or A380.

• 2 years later...
On 3/23/2016 at 8:43 PM, TJR4ASR said:

No such thing as a international drivers license. Can only get 6 month permit.license is scam.

The International Driving  permit is valid for  12 months 

Archived