Move to regulate diving industry

snoop1130

Move to regulate diving industry
Chutharat Plerin

post-249866-0-49533600-1458647882_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Independent diving excursions have been banned in Phuket and Phang Nga following a government move to tighten regulations and increase accountability in the previously self-regulated industry.

The move comes in the wake of a number of dive-related deaths and serious accidents in the region.

“Though the diving industry does have its own regulations, we need to take greater responsibility in ensuring that divers are safe. The recent accidents have shown that the only responsible government agency is ours,” said Santi Pawai, director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) Phuket Office. “However, due to a misunderstanding about the roles diving agencies, such as PADI, CMAS and SSI, play in the industry, we did not step in to ensure diving businesses are being run safely.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Move-regulate-diving-industry-video/63484?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-22

This is long over due. There are too many so called dive companies operating in Phuket who are just after the money. They have no idea if the divers that they are sending on these dive boats are properly certified because they don't check to see. Most of the time the dive companies aren't even sending any of their staff with the divers that have booked on these dive boats. I have been on quite a few that take your money and tell you where to go and have no idea if you went, if you have a buddy, proper equipment, or even if you made it back on the boat, that 9 times out of 10 isn't their boat.

Would one have the idea to order a driver who has a legal driving license, to drive only with a driving school teacher ?

This guy Santi has no f*** clue what he's talking about. In this case and in many, many others.

However, safety regulations, specially when it comes to speed boat operators, definitely need to put in place. But obviously they grease the right wheels and can continue as they always did.

Not sure I understand. Are they saying if you own your equipment you can't go diving with

a group of buddies, or you can't run you own tours ? whistling.gif

What i think he means is: if you want to run divetours you need the appropriate licences and insurance. That has always been the case already, but so far they have led tours that besides snorkeling and other activities also offer diving slide. And it looks like they're going to end that.

This is long over due. There are too many so called dive companies operating in Phuket who are just after the money. They have no idea if the divers that they are sending on these dive boats are properly certified because they don't check to see. Most of the time the dive companies aren't even sending any of their staff with the divers that have booked on these dive boats. I have been on quite a few that take your money and tell you where to go and have no idea if you went, if you have a buddy, proper equipment, or even if you made it back on the boat, that 9 times out of 10 isn't their boat.

Presumably you are referring to booking agencies, not the dive operators.

I do not understand why you have apparently made "quite a few trips" in this way.

Maybe you should book directly with the dive operation, not the booking agencies who are only interested in their 10 to 25% commission. And, as you say, have no interest other than booking you on a trip.

I have to utmost respect for the properly licensed and insured dive companies in Phuket that employ qualified, legal staff and put safety #1.

Unfortunately, a simple look around social media very clearly exposes its deficiencies.

'Just a new opportunity to extract more tea money. Driving, diving, or just walking down the street, Thailand is a place where your personal safety is your personal concern and not much more than a pretext for anybody else. (Some are perfectly happy with that; some not. But that's the way it is.)