Neramit Tailors - still considered the best?

earlofwindermere

Pretty much yes; Ratchawong Road opposite the Siam Commercial Bank.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@18.791955,98.9977508,3a,75y,238.92h,74.82t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sbYqkqFCVm1_DNvPcP58iuw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DbYqkqFCVm1_DNvPcP58iuw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D75.8855%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

And if it's still best.. I don't know.. k. Wirat is getting on a bit in years, although that should't affect his workshop.

I would probably still take it over any of those scammy looking dudes in tourist areas. F those guys.

Genesis tailors under the Shangri la are reputed to be the best in CM now....

Seems to be the name I always hear popping up when friends talk about the best...

They have books of pictures + free style (own tastes/design work) too....

We visited when I thought I might need a tux made & They had good quality fabric/materials......

This sound like an ad to me.

If you're unfamiliar with Neramit then please take a refresher course on 'Chiang Mai' first.

Thank you.

I am and I prefer other tailors. Still sounded like an ad

.Happy now!

Do they carry legit fabrics or the fakes ??

I need a suit or two, but frankly the quality of Thai tailoring for the money that I have seen in Phuket and even bangkok was laughable. Not only the fine detailing but right down to simply awful fitment and workmanship.

I dont mind spending decent money on a proper designer label suit or two in the west, but here I struggle to work out if theres any value other than the absolute cheapest junk simply being 'cheaper' than the west. Certainly the bespoke suits I have seen here were far inferior from off the peg and fitted and when not shopping for cheapest suit and 3 shirt package deals, only slightly cheaper.

I need a suit or two, but frankly the quality of Thai tailoring for the money that I have seen in Phuket and even bangkok was laughable. Not only the fine detailing but right down to simply awful fitment and workmanship.

I dont mind spending decent money on a proper designer label suit or two in the west, but here I struggle to work out if theres any value other than the absolute cheapest junk simply being 'cheaper' than the west. Certainly the bespoke suits I have seen here were far inferior from off the peg and fitted and when not shopping for cheapest suit and 3 shirt package deals, only slightly cheaper.

Check Genesis.....

In that case I suggest that's what you carry on doing.

If you're unfamiliar with Neramit then please take a refresher course on 'Chiang Mai' first.

Thank you.

Are you offering courses and how often do you update them. Seems like so many places going out of business and a new one replacing them you would almost have to do it daily.whistling.gif

In that case I suggest that's what you carry on doing.

Yeah the issue is I will be heading back on business and it means a schlep up to london and dreaded 'shopping' before I can really start working. Been out of UK so long I dont know of any really good suit stores.. My last experiences were all in Amsterdam, but superb quality.

Its as much a time issue.. Having it to head back with.

Friend gave me a bangkok name which he claims is high end and seems to know his stuff.. Pick stitching on the lapels, working cuff buttons, piped lining, good pocket detailing..

Thank you.

Are you offering courses and how often do you update them. Seems like so many places going out of business and a new one replacing them you would almost have to do it daily.whistling.gif

Quite why WinnieThe Kwai feels that I, or anyone else discussing a tailor, should "take a refresher course on 'Chiang Mai". is beyond me.

My Forum name is Khundon, not bloody TripAdvisor!

I know all I need to know, about Chiang Mai. It's enveloped in smoke for many days of the year and gets cold in the family R&R house in the hills outside the city. So we come to Chiang Mai less and less each year.

Oh and there are a few mediocre tailors in the city. coffee1.gif

Thank you.

Quite why WinnieThe Kwai feels that I, or anyone else discussing a tailor, should "take a refresher course on 'Chiang Mai". is beyond me.

My Forum name is Khundon, not bloody TripAdvisor!

I know all I need to know, about Chiang Mai. It's enveloped in smoke for many days of the year and gets cold in the family R&R house in the hills outside the city. So we come to Chiang Mai less and less each year.

Oh and there are a few mediocre tailors in the city. coffee1.gif

I think the point is that you were commenting on a topic that you appeared not to have any knowledge about.

I have walked past that tailors on Ratchawong Road, hundreds of times. <deleted>

I have also spoken to many people who have used their and other Chiang Mai tailors services.

I preferred to get my cloths made elsewhere. Usually in London.

How much more is there to know! coffee1.gif

I had some casual wear made by Neramit and was pleased with the workmanship. I've also had clothes made by a different and known CM tailor. I was pleased with the workmanship generally also but not -- in either case-- the quality of material selected.

For anything serious, I go to Bangkok to the place I've using for 20 years. They have an incredible and authentic selection of European fabrics. It's expensive; I mean no offense to anyone with restricted means in Chiang Mai but if I'm looking for the best quality of cloth in the hands of experts, I just don't see it in CM-- and I don't see it in BKK unless you know someone who can recommend first hand.

For anything serious, I go to Bangkok to the place I've using for 20 years. They have an incredible and authentic selection of European fabrics. It's expensive; I mean no offense to anyone with restricted means in Chiang Mai but if I'm looking for the best quality of cloth in the hands of experts, I just don't see it in CM-- and I don't see it in BKK unless you know someone who can recommend first hand.

Would you mind sharing that name ??

I am going to assume about 3 days required ??

Further research has brought up 2 for bangkok worth looking into..

Tailor on Ten

DGRIE
Looks like good materials range with tailor on ten, canadian so likely to believe their fabric brands.. GDRIE seems to have some decent cut to them also.
Not seen anything similar up her.

Further research has brought up 2 for bangkok worth looking into..

Tailor on Ten

DGRIE
Looks like good materials range with tailor on ten, canadian so likely to believe their fabric brands.. GDRIE seems to have some decent cut to them also.
Not seen anything similar up her.

Thanks for this. In the past, I have only used Neramit in Chiang Mai. I'll have to try one of these Bangkok options for comparison.

• 2 months later...

I have been searching this forum for tailors and now have an idea of what is going on. What I want is a pair of jeans taking in? I have lost a good few inches round my waist over the last year and there is still some to go. I love a particular pair of my jeans and would hate to stop wearing them or get rid of them. I would rather get them adjusted to fit my new lean figure. Can anyone recommend a place that would alter jeans? Would I need a proper tailor? What about one of those sewing ladies who operate from the street? Some of them must have some skills. Many thanks

Absolutely. I had a few shirts made up as test runs at different places in Phuket. Absolute crap. Not tried CM yet but I'm not inclined to either.

• 2 months later...

We think Mr. Neramit is wonderful! He knows his stuff and genuinely cares about what he creates and what his clients want. He copied a Hugo Boss suit for my husband, and the results were perfect. His prices are reasonable, and he struck me as very honest. I had a disastrous experience with another tailor, and he salvaged the mess the other tailor had made at very little cost to us - and then mailed the shirts to us!

Archived