OSX reinstall problem

starship

HI,

I'm having trouble doing a clean reinstall of OSX on a macpro.

I followed the Apple guidance and booted into recovery mode. I wiped the hard disk and then when I went to install the O.S a message says "This Apple ID has not yet been used with the appstore"

I bought the mac used and set up an Apple ID when I bought it but have never used it. I used to use an old macbook previously so am not that aware of the whole Apple ID procedure.

I signed into Apple ID thinking this might help but it doesn't.

I looked on Apple support communities but I can't find a case specific to mine.

How can I rectify this situation?

Appreciate any help and advice, many thanks.

n.b Apologies I first posted this question in the general IT forum.

Update:

I've trying all day to reinstall the o.s using a few different methods - all failing.

It definitely seems that nothing will happen without the ID being 'used'.

Because I've already wiped the drive there's no o.s, so I can't use any of the Apple programs (Appstore, Itunes etc).

Will just going to an Apple store and using my ID on one of the computers to log on at the Appstore work? I can't do this at home because my other computer's a PC.

If this won't work, what will? Need some help guys.

Thanks again

Try logging into https://appleid.apple.com and see if you can activate it from there somehow.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I tried that already and no go. I did see a thread elsewhere about inputing credit card details may help. I don't have one however. There is supposed to be a way around this but only when you initially set up the ID, not once it's already been created as I understand it.

Still open to other solutions,

Thanks

I have just been having a possibly similar problem trying to upgrade and in the end I did the following, but access to another Mac was required.

1. Download the El Capitan installer on another Mac using your ID, a new one or a borrowed one (it won't matter)

2. Created a USB boot drive with it on another Mac (8GB minimum I think)

3. Booted off the USB

4. Erased the disk

5. Install El Capitan

6. Signing in with my Apple ID after that went fine.

I was prepared though on the initial machine setup after the install to create a new Apple ID. A credit card is not required to create an Apple ID, at least in the US store I believe.

Edited by jharr

I have just been having a possibly similar problem trying to upgrade and in the end I did the following, but access to another Mac was required.

1. Download the El Capitan installer on another Mac using your ID, a new one or a borrowed one (it won't matter)

2. Created a USB boot drive with it on another Mac (8GB minimum I think)

3. Booted off the USB

4. Erased the disk

5. Install El Capitan

6. Signing in with my Apple ID after that went fine.

I was prepared though on the initial machine setup after the install to create a new Apple ID. A credit card is not required to create an Apple ID, at least in the US store I believe.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a try if I can get access to another mac.

I've been trying to reinstall using OSX internet recovery (command, option, r) as well as OSX recovery (command, r). The former from what Apple says on their guidance notes is supposed to reinstall the original o.s that shipped with the computer rather than anything else that has been updated later.

However, it just prompts me to install El Capitan (which would be fine if it worked) even though Yosemite was the last current o.s. It would have shipped with an earlier o.s as it's some years old, and it still asks me for the Apple ID, won't process it, and so the installation can't progress.

Very annoying.

Suggest you try creating another Apple ID on the Apple website (no Mac required) and try it with your existing approach, that may work.

My USB install suggestion will likely work but I don't think there is a way of creating the boot USB drive without a Mac.

Have you tried changing the country (flag) on reeboot i.e Thailand,Uk,Usa ?

I had some problems with osx too and had to change the flag in order to get into the store !

Have you tried changing the country (flag) on reeboot i.e Thailand,Uk,Usa ?

I had some problems with osx too and had to change the flag in order to get into the store !

Theres some good reinstall videos on youtube

Thanks for your reply.

I don't recall seeing any flags when I boot up but I'll check again.

I've watched plenty of Youtube vid's but none seem to cover this specific issue of reinstall +' ID not used'.

I think I'll try creating another ID as suggested and see if that solves the issue.