Cabbie arrested for robbing two Chinese tourists

webfact

Cabbie arrested for robbing two Chinese tourists

2403008-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver has been arrested for allegedly robbing two Chinese tourists in Pathum Thani’s Lat Lum Kaew district on Monday night.

Police managed to recover some of the victim’s belongings from the cabbie, Mr Manop Srisuk, which included three smartphones, three baggages, clothes and a pair of sneakers. One shotgun pistol was also found in his possession.

According to the two Chinese female tourists, they called the taxi, driven by Manop, at the old Mor Chit bus terminal to take them to Nakornchai tour bus company on Kamphaengpet 2 road.

However, Manop took them to Pathum Thani despite protests from the two tourists. He later pulled out a gun and robbed them of all their belongings before he drove them to a dark spot for a stop.

The two victims managed to escape and sought help from a factory guard who then alerted the police who managed to arrest the cabbie at his residence in Lat Lum Kaew district.

Manop claimed he robbed the two tourists because he wanted their money for his two children. He was however charged with robbery, possessing and carrying illegal firearms in public.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/156536

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-24

Wow... I used to work in Lad Lum Kaeow, didn't realize it was so wild.

I'm sure these two Chinese ladies have already told their sad story on their Facebook pages. Excellent advertising for tourism in Thailand, will certainly bring much more Chinese tourists. Catch this, TAT.

Edited by Lannig

A country with amazing polarizations and diversity, one day you hear about a cabbie returning a lost or forgotten huge

sums of money to a passenger, and the next, his counterpart robbing passengers at gun point,

at times, you just don't know what to make out of this country anymore......

A country with amazing polarizations and diversity, one day you hear about a cabbie returning a lost or forgotten huge

sums of money to a passenger, and the next, his counterpart robbing passengers at gun point,

I must admit, im thinking the same as you. As long all the money from the tourist is going in the pocket of the Thais there no problem at all. All are happy, smiling, polite, the family is happy and money send home every month. The car can be paid, motorbike, credit cards and the kids school bill and so on

Normally i always look at the bride side of this, but i really think things are changing. The income for the hard workers in tourist area are going down. i know TAT says there are +30 mill tourist visit Thailand this year, and they calculating it to be about 100 million in 2036

The problem is when more people has to share the money, the tourist is generating, everybody gets problems, hard to survive. Getting frustrated, Cant send money home. Then we see more of this robbing of people, bag robbing, fights because tourist don't want to go spend in there shop, lady-boys attack customer because of turn-down on offer and so on. Its like a evil spiral

For the first time in the years i have been living here, i don't feel me safe anymore or comfortable is properly a better word (my second language), and i fear the future of Thailand and its people

"Manop claimed he robbed the two tourists because he wanted their money for his two children."

So do your job, you pillock.

Just read that very same excuse for the Samui robber and would-be rapist.

Both of them had jobs!

...psycho scum like that all around I guess.....

..shotgun pistol.......

...who knows what this sad excuse for a human is guilty of previously.....

....all you hear are.................. these fairy tale excuses for................... why it is okay to be a savage.......

...and to rob....or worse.....non-savages.......

I must admit, im thinking the same as you. As long all the money from the tourist is going in the pocket of the Thais there no problem at all. All are happy, smiling, polite, the family is happy and money send home every month. The car can be paid, motorbike, credit cards and the kids school bill and so on

Normally i always look at the bride side of this, but i really think things are changing. The income for the hard workers in tourist area are going down. i know TAT says there are +30 mill tourist visit Thailand this year, and they calculating it to be about 100 million in 2036

The problem is when more people has to share the money, the tourist is generating, everybody gets problems, hard to survive. Getting frustrated, Cant send money home. Then we see more of this robbing of people, bag robbing, fights because tourist don't want to go spend in there shop, lady-boys attack customer because of turn-down on offer and so on. Its like a evil spiral

For the first time in the years i have been living here, i don't feel me safe anymore or comfortable is properly a better word (my second language), and i fear the future of Thailand and its people

I think your final sentence sums up the feelings of many who live in Thailand or spend a lot of time here such as myself. I tend to be much more aware of my surroundings and condition myself and to always be ready for the unexpected. Perhaps I am lucky but I live in the Ramkhamhaeng area use taxis regularly and have never had a problem worth speaking of. Public buses involve more risk than taxis especially when getting on and off when they pull up at bus stops stop in the middle of the road rather than the curb. Nowadays with everything I do I tend to be cautious rather than relaxed and that takes a bit of enjoyment out of the place.

Wow... I used to work in Lad Lum Kaeow, didn't realize it was so wild.

I'm sure these two Chinese ladies have already told their sad story on their Facebook pages. Excellent advertising for tourism in Thailand, will certainly bring much more Chinese tourists. Catch this, TAT.

facebook is blocked in china

facebook is blocked in china

...or whatever local copy of Facebook they have: QQ, Renren...

Been told by a friend that the old Morchit is a place you really want to avoid for boarding a taxi. Apparently there's a local gang operating there. They even have a desk with BIB sitting all day long to watch them. FWIW.

Edited by Lannig

Shortgun pistol ????? Can any of TV gun experts elaborate on that ?

There are a number of manufactured pistols that will chamber 45 caliber pistol shells or 410 gauge shot shells. There are a number of smooth bore pistols purposed for shot shells only. Then there is the sawn off shotgun with pistol grip stock.

At my place in Arizona I keep an old Colt 38 revolver loaded with snake shot shells. There are numerous possibilities for a "shotgun pistol", including semi automatic renditions.

Two of the better known examples in the either/or class would be the Taurus "Judge" and the Smith and Wesson "Governor".

So...since the bad guys and cops have guns....how do the visitors, or ex-pats (seniors) protect themselves?

For your home, is it legal to buy a gun/rifle and keep it in your home, for protection? Then, while in the streets, or in a cab, what is the most lethal weapon you can legally carry? Mace, machete, stun gun??? I will be living with a Thai woman at her house, and want to try and protect our home from thugs, druggies..as well as try and protect her while out in town. Not sure If I can secure a pistol legally, by (ex.) joining a gun club, taking classes, paying fees etc.. The Govt. knows the stats of all the tourists becoming victims, and their solution is?for the tourist and ex-pats to hire protection...off duty police, thugs? Where they may end up a victim the same, but in a much more organized fashion?

Expect to hear of a hero cabbie very soon. Those stories usually come after a taxi driver robbing or beating someone.

So...since the bad guys and cops have guns....how do the visitors, or ex-pats (seniors) protect themselves?

For your home, is it legal to buy a gun/rifle and keep it in your home, for protection? Then, while in the streets, or in a cab, what is the most lethal weapon you can legally carry? Mace, machete, stun gun??? I will be living with a Thai woman at her house, and want to try and protect our home from thugs, druggies..as well as try and protect her while out in town. Not sure If I can secure a pistol legally, by (ex.) joining a gun club, taking classes, paying fees etc.. The Govt. knows the stats of all the tourists becoming victims, and their solution is?for the tourist and ex-pats to hire protection...off duty police, thugs? Where they may end up a victim the same, but in a much more organized fashion?

You can't properly protect yourself and do so within the law here. It's a shame really, because the "bad guys" always have weapons.