Thailand will have sufficient water for consumption until rainy season

webfact

Thailand will have sufficient water for consumption until rainy season

BANGKOK, 24 March 2016 (NNT) - The Royal Irrigation Department has expressed confidence that all areas across the country will have sufficient water for consumption until July this year.

The department's director, Thongpleo Kongchan said this year's drought situation was severe, affecting water volumes of major dams in the country. The director however confirmed there would not be a shortage of water for consumption until July.

The department's plans to manage the water in 10 major dams have been revised after their water volumes decreased to critical levels. The Ubonrat dam is the most critical with only 1% of usable water.

Meanwhile, Director-General of the Meteorological Department Songkran Akson said this year's rainy season in Thailand would start mid May and would be fully established in July.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-24 footer_n.gif

After a similar news item a weeks ago, I asked TV readers, living in rural areas or towns affected by water problems, what has or is being done to help your communities.

I would like to ask the question again. Are you getting help, and is the situation improving?

Thank you.

how can they seriously predict rain, well they do in other Countries, then when it comes say all the rain came in the wrong places and did not help.

​Always odd to me, if there is a disaster somewhere, the Army arrive and install a purification plant [turn sea water into drinking water] we hear all the time the sea levels are rising + there is more sea water than land mass.. why must we hope it rains, there is more than enough water on earth as it is..

Is it not time for Government around the world to invest and make plants making sea water purification for drinking water ? not rely on maybe it will rain? we do live in 2016...... in History the Ancient Greeks did. and there is millions of trillions of water in the sea.

"The Royal Irrigation Department has expressed confidence that all areas across the country will have sufficient water for consumption until July this year."

That made me feel so much better...

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif no news here move on.....

Ostrich syndrome at it's best by the "Royal Irrigation Department" - Once again I ask the question during this dry season have the current water storage facilities been excavated to provide more storage of water when it does finally rain; in addition, it would be an ideal time to properly clean out the drainage system thereby allowing the rain water to drain away correctly instead of flooding peoples homes due to the water running over the parched earth. I suppose this is all too much to ask as it would require planning..!!

Ostrich syndrome at it's best by the "Royal Irrigation Department" - Once again I ask the question during this dry season have the current water storage facilities been excavated to provide more storage of water when it does finally rain; in addition, it would be an ideal time to properly clean out the drainage system thereby allowing the rain water to drain away correctly instead of flooding peoples homes due to the water running over the parched earth. I suppose this is all too much to ask as it would require planning..!!

But! the current water storage reservoirs are not filling up in the rainy season, so what is the point of making them larger?

Gosh... how can they seriously predict rain one month 1/2 in advance?

Weather forecasts over 5 days in advance are already considered as black magic.

This will certainly need a facts check.

They have a way to tell. They check ocean temperatures. Higher temperatures now mean more tropical rain. This is how they forecast how many

Hurricanes there will be every year in the states. El Nino years equal more rain in some parts of the world and droughts in other parts.

Thailand will have sufficient water

Royal Irrigation Department has expressed confidence

The subtleties of the English language. Will have.................may have.

"You won't be flooded - trust us."

"There is sufficient water for consumption"

Same same but different.

For sure, no hiso elite rich person will be inconvenienced, regardless of what that means.

What utter rubbish

So explain to me why our village boss came around saying water will be cut off during the day or on alternate days from next week.

I am truly grateful in Phrachuap khiri kan we have enough water to go round for hisos in Bangkokfacepalm.gif

how can they seriously predict rain, well they do in other Countries, then when it comes say all the rain came in the wrong places and did not help.

​Always odd to me, if there is a disaster somewhere, the Army arrive and install a purification plant [turn sea water into drinking water] we hear all the time the sea levels are rising + there is more sea water than land mass.. why must we hope it rains, there is more than enough water on earth as it is..

Is it not time for Government around the world to invest and make plants making sea water purification for drinking water ? not rely on maybe it will rain? we do live in 2016...... in History the Ancient Greeks did. and there is millions of trillions of water in the sea.

The plain and simple answer is it costs money and if the heavy rains come it will sit idle and cause someone to loose face. Its easy to order tanks and military hardware and throw good money after bad because it is a status symbol for the military.

Anything beyond that is a waste of money.

What utter rubbish

So explain to me why our village boss came around saying water will be cut off during the day or on alternate days from next week.

I am truly grateful in Phrachuap khiri kan we have enough water to go round for hisos in Bangkokfacepalm.gif

Because Prachuap's catchment area isn't very big. Basically, if it doesn't rain enough on the border with Myanmar, you won't have enough water. Nothing to do with Bangkok.

So enought water UNTIL July...then what???

Your beat me to it. But at that time the problem is solved. Dam filling up and so on. wai2.gif

But yes your are right. I don't think they really know. They can of course pump water from the Mekong river to basin or water truck tanks, as they do right now in the north, cause china is releasing water.thumbsup.gif

I was reading in other media there is not allowed to quote her, that Khon Kaen's Ubonratana dam has sufficient supplies to last for just 11 days. Dam director Worawit Raweenipapong said the water level of the reservoir had dropped to below critical point and It has just 16 million cubic metres left

So what is khon kaen going to do after 4. april