What makes Thai mattresses so damn heavy?

giddyup

I just bought a new KS mattress, a Sealy, and it weighs a damn ton! I had a Sealy Posturepaedic in Australia that I could easily manage to turn over whenever I needed to rotate it, but this one requires a minimum of two people, and they are struggling. It feels like the mattress has been filled with lead shot. What could make it so heavy, it's only foam and springs for crying out loud.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a firm or med firm matress?....the new Sealy systems have up to 2000 coils, foam and built in toppers. The newer ones seem prettt heavy....I bought one for my gf two weeks ago and nearly died moving it upstairs into her bedroom....hope it sleeps well....

Same here, Heavy like hell, whenever I have to change bedsheets, lifting up every corner is a major undertaking. Never encountered that in my home country in Switzerland,

It is the density of the coils and depth of the mattress. More coils are actually a selling point as it provides more support with less movement and wave effect across the surface of the bed. I am pretty sure my bed is even heavier than yours but I am not complaining because it is so comfortable to sleep on.

It is a firm or med firm matress?....the new Sealy systems have up to 2000 coils, foam and built in toppers. The newer ones seem prettt heavy....I bought one for my gf two weeks ago and nearly died moving it upstairs into her bedroom....hope it sleeps well....

There's no way I could move mine anywhere by myself, it's a minimum two man job.

It is the density of the coils and depth of the mattress. More coils are actually a selling point as it provides more support with less movement and wave effect across the surface of the bed. I am pretty sure my bed is even heavier than yours but I am not complaining because it is so comfortable to sleep on.

No complaints about comfort, but I do like to rotate my mattress every 3 months, ie turn it over and rotate 180 degrees.

Did you check to see if there's a sleeping Thai lady firmly attached to it?

Yes, I found that reducing the number of female occupants to a minimum does help with this "heavy mattress" problem.............

Sure its a "Sealy" and no the usual local knock off a "Searry" where they use old leaf springs from scrapped vehicles and foam from old sofas and charge you a comparative price.

"Searry very good mister" biggrin.png

Sure its a "Sealy" and no the usual local knock off a "Searry" where they use old leaf springs from scrapped vehicles and foam from old sofas and charge you a comparative price.

"Searry very good mister" biggrin.png

Well if a well known chain store is selling fake mattresses and issuing Sealy warranty cards, I guess anything is possible.

Found it the other way around........ my old cheapish mattress was very heavy, the new one I bought last year in the Slumberland 80% factory sale is much much lighter... Pocket Sprung..

The old one use to get 2 people in the Village to help turn it + got them back to try to bring it downstairs so could take it to the tip.. we could not manage as to heavy, so it is stood up in one of the spare bedrooms.. going back 10 or so years, feel sure it was just 2 delivery men that took it up, another bedroom the King Size bed mattress is nowhere near as heavy but not as light as the Pocket Sprung.

No complaints about comfort, but I do like to rotate my mattress every 3 months, ie turn it over and rotate 180 degrees.

..if you turn it over end for end..no need to rotate..half the energy expended..wink.png