Nero Vision

agsnowdon

Hey all

O/S Windows XP PRO SP2 MainBoard - ASUS K8N-5X CPU - AMD ATHLON 3000+ 512 x 2 Kingston DDR 400 PCI EXPRESS XFX GeForce FX 5200 256MB

Everytime I use NV to encode for EG 5 avi files to DVD whenever you get about half way through each episode the audio goes out of sync.

I have tried do the burning whith no other progs running and not using my PC at all when its running but still alweays same results.

I don't care how fast to encode and burn, if it talkes 10 hours to encode 3.5gb of avi to mpeg then burn it to DVD i dont care as long as the audio stays in sync.

But the main thing I like about NV is its easy to set up a menu and very easy to use.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry are you sure you have a AMD ATHLON 3000+, my g/f has a similar config and she doesn't take that long to code 4 or 5 GB of AVI to DVD.

What for hard drives do you use, with Windows good, fast hard drive are needed to do anything fast. even if you think have enough memory.

For something like this I can only advice 2 in RAID hard drive with 16mb cache from the Seagate Barracuda 10 series (tested the Western Digital KS-serie was not getting near what I get with the new Seagates)

P.S. for most smaller volumes drives I perfer WD drives ....they seem t have a bit more kick...also with bus overclocking, sometimes cheaper series of Seagate drives don't like high bus speeds.....

Edited by Richard-BKK

Sorry are you sure you have a AMD ATHLON 3000+, my g/f has a similar config and she doesn't take that long to code 4 or 5 GB of AVI to DVD.

Think you need to have another read, your advice is appriciated though!

I said I dont care if I can find a prog that will code and burn 3.5gb of avi files in 10hrs as long as there is no audio sync loss or quality loss.

My spec will code and burn over 5gbs in about 2.5hrs max but klike I said am having problems with the auidio sync.

Cheers though :o

agsnowdon - It is my understanding most audio sync loss is due to "frame loss" during the burning process. This could be due to many factors, including defects in the burning software itself.

You indicate you were using Nero, but which version? Have heard Nero v7.2.x.x definitely has audio sync issues, but the earlier v7.0.x.x works just fine. (The latest release is v7.5.7.0 (Nero Vision v4.7.0.9), but haven't had time to test it.)

The least expensive way to go, for now, may be to try an earlier version.

good luck

waldwolf

agsnowdon - It is my understanding most audio sync loss is due to "frame loss" during the burning process. This could be due to many factors, including defects in the burning software itself.

You indicate you were using Nero, but which version? Have heard Nero v7.2.x.x definitely has audio sync issues, but the earlier v7.0.x.x works just fine. (The latest release is v7.5.7.0 (Nero Vision v4.7.0.9), but haven't had time to test it.)

The least expensive way to go, for now, may be to try an earlier version.

good luck

waldwolf

Thanks for that I shal see if I can get hold of that. Any ideas of where I might be able to get it?

Well I have got Nero 7 and when I got to nero vision and "about@ it says 4 so not sure what I have got?

Any ideas?

Hey all

O/S Windows XP PRO SP2 MainBoard - ASUS K8N-5X CPU - AMD ATHLON 3000+ 512 x 2 Kingston DDR 400 PCI EXPRESS XFX GeForce FX 5200 256MB

Everytime I use NV to encode for EG 5 avi files to DVD whenever you get about half way through each episode the audio goes out of sync.

I have tried do the burning whith no other progs running and not using my PC at all when its running but still alweays same results.

I don't care how fast to encode and burn, if it talkes 10 hours to encode 3.5gb of avi to mpeg then burn it to DVD i dont care as long as the audio stays in sync.

But the main thing I like about NV is its easy to set up a menu and very easy to use.

Anyone got any ideas?

I recently tried to convert an .avi file to MPEG2 with TMPGENc (prior to authoring it to DVD with TMPGENc DVD Author). However the audio went out of sync in the resultant file.

I next tried a freeware program called Avi2Dvd which kept perfect audio/video sync (although took 10 hours or so on my low spec computer to finish).

May be worth a look.

Hey all

Anyone got any ideas?

I recently tried to convert an .avi file to MPEG2 with TMPGENc (prior to authoring it to DVD with TMPGENc DVD Author). However the audio went out of sync in the resultant file.

I next tried a freeware program called Avi2Dvd which kept perfect audio/video sync (although took 10 hours or so on my low spec computer to finish).

May be worth a look.

Right tried the version of NEro Waldwolf said same probs!

Will try TMPGEN if I can work it otu, seems as though you can only encode and burn 1 file per time of am I being silly?

Ash

Hey all

Anyone got any ideas?

May be worth a look.

Just got AVI2DVD but you can only encode 1 file and burn it to dvd. I am burning a few episodes of a series so need to be able encode multiple files and burn all onto 1 disk

Any ideas?

Apparently it can join avis automatically, just name them eg film cd1.avi, film cd2.avi etc.

Then just load the first one, and it will automatically pick up the rest and join them.

Although when I tried it on 2 avis, it gave an error and didn't complete. You may have more luck!

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2DvdGuides.html

Will try TMPGEN if I can work it otu, seems as though you can only encode and burn 1 file per time of am I being silly?

Ash

You may be able to join the avis first to a single avi with Virtualdub.

Are the original avis in audio/video sync to begin with?

Edited by katana

...whenever you get about half way through each episode the audio goes out of sync....
Is this correct? If your burning 3 episodes, the audio in each of the 3 is in sync until your approximately one-half through each episode.

I suspect the problem lays elsewhere than in the software. A few questions:

1. You did not list your HDD specs. What is its Make/Model No.? What is current "free" space?

2. Have you burned a single episode only? If so, did you still loose audio sync?

3. Did you notice any picture "flicker" just prior to audio sync loss?

4. Is sync loss noticeable when the DVD is played on a conventional DVD player (vs. your computer)?

6. Are you using a "Name Brand" DVD blank?

7. Have you tried rebooting your system, then shutting down all programs running in the background (especially antivirus/spyware utilities) then opening Nero Vision and proceeding with a burn?

waldwolf

If you I would like to do it in 2 times :

1) encoding the files (your several episodes in one big chunk) with Virtual dub.

2) then burn the file.

Your problem is in layman language your CPU can not take care of the kitchen while being in the windmill.

Having to process Video a future stars years ago while working for RS, and having a low specs coputer (compared to yours now), I had to rely on that methodology to release the blue tape (first ever made video recording for a given artist) for presentation to the producers (to have the the future artist produced or not).

Virtual dub and TPMGENC are good tools, but better to use them just for decoding encoding, and use Nero just for burning.

• 2 months later...
I use ConvertXtoDVD for creating DVD's from downloaded avi's etc.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Never had a problem with audio sync, easy to use and automatically creates menu's and can add subtitles.

Just tried ConvertXtoDVD on an .avi that neither TMPGENc or Avi2Dvd could keep audio/video sync on. (It was possibly corrupted in some way?).

The resultant DVD has perfect audio/video sync. First impressions of ConvertXtoDVD are good. It also produced a nice menu without too much effort.