Suvarnabhumi Airport named fifth best airport by Skytrax

webfact

Hate the place, so outdated and they can't even figure out how to get the planes to dock at the airport. Catching a bus and then climbing up a ladder to get into a plane. A lack of toilets and insufficient immigration officers at passport control to process the volume of arrivals.

Couldn't agree more. Being bused around to/from your plane in the 21st Century shouldn't even put it on the list.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate the place, so outdated and they can't even figure out how to get the planes to dock at the airport. Catching a bus and then climbing up a ladder to get into a plane. A lack of toilets and insufficient immigration officers at passport control to process the volume of arrivals.

And yet BKK is still a superior airport to those located in the North America, the EU and Australia. There are more than enough toilet facilities and the complaints about walking distances are asinine. What do you expect from a large multinational airport? Where exactly do you expect the hundreds of planes to park? Of course there have to be remote gate locations when there is this much traffic. If the airport handled the volume of Brussels or Halifax or Topeka or Cairns, then you could rightfully criticize.

BKK is an excellent airport and superior the the majority of airports in the western world. It's not as if Gatwick or Orly or Newark or Prague or San Paulo or Durban or Melbourne are anything to celebrate over.

The fifth best out of airports with between 40 and 50 million passengers per year. How many airports are there with 40 to 50 million passengers per year? 5?

This is an old marketing trick. You can always be number 1 at something if you define the category narrowly enough. Example, MBA programs that claim to be in the top 3 in the world... In the category agricultural finance.

This is Thai Visa's spin to start an argument amongst members.

Do you think people choose travel destinations based upon SKYTRAX ratings?

I do. Because I fly into some odd locales, I pay attention to SKYTRAX reports. Yes, I take them with a grain of salt, but it's why I haven't been willing to give US airlines a 2nd chance after my past negative experiences, and it is why I avoid certain airports, i.e. avoiding some EU cities in favour of others. I submit reviews to Skytrax as do some of my colleagues. I am also a keen member of a frequent flyer forum and pay close attention to the comments of members who I have previously met in various lounges and airports over the years. We do compare notes. Some of these people clock 100,000 miles and spend US$ $25-$50,000 per annum.

They think it is better tan Singapore airport? Are they joking, no way is it better

Selective survey remember, 40-50 million passengers? Singapore probably does not fit in that category. coffee1.gif

Quality and passenger throughput are not the same. Singapore has around 30 million maybe more but for a top airport it is more to do with facilities, service etc and Bangkok (Swampy) is a lot worse than Singapore which has just been voted best airport in the world. Go figure

Couldn't agree more. Being bused around to/from your plane in the 21st Century shouldn't even put it on the list.

Why are you blaming the airport for being bussed around ?....blame the specfic airline concerned cos they are too cheap charlie to pay the gate fee, yes thats what this is all about

Yup, if you go to the Skytrax site, Swampy doesn't even feature in the top ten airports and some of the comments are pretty damning. I don't like Swampy for most of the reasons already given, although I have never had any seriously major problems there. But certainly someone is telling porkies to claim 5th place in the world. No way!

Yup, if you go to the Skytrax site, Swampy doesn't even feature in the top ten airports and some of the comments are pretty damning. I don't like Swampy for most of the reasons already given, although I have never had any seriously major problems there. But certainly someone is telling porkies to claim 5th place in the world. No way!

Read it again. All the words this time.

Headline: Suvarnabhumi Airport named fifth best airport by Skytrax

Article: ''... ranked the fifth best airport in the category of airports with 40-50 million passengers per year...''

In other news: SABloke most intelligent person in the world...that is 190cm tall, weighs 93.26 kg and has a scar 3cm above his left eyebrow which was caused while playing at the age of 7 :rolleyes:

Of the four airports I have used in Thailand, I like Khon Kaen the most.

Most airports built in the past 20 years are oversized monuments, putting architectural flash ahead of human needs. No offense to the frickin' architects; it's the clients' fault.

I was recently at a talk by the President of AOT, and he said Suvarnabhumi and all other 5 AOT owned airports around Thailand were running over capacity except for Chiang Rai. There are a number of expansion plans for Suvarnabhumi including Thai Airways having its own terminal, and a new departure apron to be built. He did recognize that Suvarnabhumi was congested.

Overall I don't think Suvarnabhumi is all that bad when you compare it with the likes of Heathrow or CDG and the issues I see are immigration counters never fully manned and too slow, there not having enough check-in desks, and getting into a taxi. Food outlets and duty free also needs improvement and a system that can cap over priced goods and food.

The fifth best out of airports with between 40 and 50 million passengers per year. How many airports are there with 40 to 50 million passengers per year? 5?

This is an old marketing trick. You can always be number 1 at something if you define the category narrowly enough. Example, MBA programs that claim to be in the top 3 in the world... In the category agricultural finance.

This is Thai Visa's spin to start an argument amongst members.

Do you think people choose travel destinations based upon SKYTRAX ratings?

I do. Because I fly into some odd locales, I pay attention to SKYTRAX reports. Yes, I take them with a grain of salt, but it's why I haven't been willing to give US airlines a 2nd chance after my past negative experiences, and it is why I avoid certain airports, i.e. avoiding some EU cities in favour of others. I submit reviews to Skytrax as do some of my colleagues. I am also a keen member of a frequent flyer forum and pay close attention to the comments of members who I have previously met in various lounges and airports over the years. We do compare notes. Some of these people clock 100,000 miles and spend US$ $25-$50,000 per annum.

I think you missed my point a little bit. I am not talking about connecting flights...etc.. What I am referring to is if someone is booking a holiday to a specific country, they aren't going to research the airport to see if they want to go there. The post I was replying to implied that it's was a marketing scheme.

Swampy is a monument to corruption, corner cutting and bad planning. When you compare Swampy to airports in western countries, you have to realize that Swampy was built only 10 years ago and at great expense. And after 10 years, it's WAY under capacity and falling apart, and it doesn't look like they have any roadmap for expansion.

From an architecture and engineering standpoint, the building is a disgrace. Take a look at the floors, they are breaking up everywhere. The environment: the acoustics, temperature, lighting, ambience, it's all sh1t. It feels, sounds, smells like a prison block. Look at the fixtures, they are dirty and falling apart. Go to level three and smell the exhaust fumes from the restaurants, it's like they're pumping exhaust directly into the public area. The number of toilets aren't close to regulations in any developed country. There's no seating outside the gate areas. There are ad-hoc electrical cables lying around. It's a complete joke for a modern building.

Anyone who thinks this place is anywhere close to the likes of Inchon, Narita, Haneda, Changi, should have their head examined.

Skytrax is either full of sh1t or they solicit reviews from troglodytes that have no appreciation for premium facilities.

Among all airports it's 36th... sounds about right. Suvarnabhumi isn't as perfect as some of much richer countries' airports, and those last years it seems to have more and more difficulties handling the increase in passengers, particularly with passport control and immigration when flying economy, but it's still pretty decent. There's far worse elsewhere.

The new taxi dispatching system on arrival is pure robbery though, at least before you could walk on the top floor and catch a taxi that'd just dropped departing customers.

What's wrong with the taxi system? Take your number, find your cab, bob's your uncle. I don't see where robbery comes into it?

I agree.

This is probably the most improved since opening.

"Calach" wants a selfish back to the past with anarchy and greedy drivers.

Ah yes, swampy. The place where you stand on the travelators wondering if it will ever stop, or if paid through the nose, get to ride in a golf kart. I don't quite get it why they didn't make it a straight 5km line from the check-in/immigration to the gates so you could enjoy the experience even longer.

Impossible ..... The airport is badly Organised and Long walks !

Restrooms are the most filthy I have seen and also the sofas around the seating area is all dirty

Maybe you have a more efficient way to move 40-50 million people a year around without having to make them walk to far?

this is how TAT spend their money, they buy awards...

While i was waiting for my plane at the departure gate, i did have a walk around. Some part are really clean, some hidden part of the airport are horrible(free broken computer, dirty sofa).... next time i will take picture and send them to Skytrax!

get a life sad sac..

Swampy is a monument to corruption, corner cutting and bad planning. When you compare Swampy to airports in western countries, you have to realize that Swampy was built only 10 years ago and at great expense. And after 10 years, it's WAY under capacity and falling apart, and it doesn't look like they have any roadmap for expansion.

From an architecture and engineering standpoint, the building is a disgrace. Take a look at the floors, they are breaking up everywhere. The environment: the acoustics, temperature, lighting, ambience, it's all sh1t. It feels, sounds, smells like a prison block. Look at the fixtures, they are dirty and falling apart. Go to level three and smell the exhaust fumes from the restaurants, it's like they're pumping exhaust directly into the public area. The number of toilets aren't close to regulations in any developed country. There's no seating outside the gate areas. There are ad-hoc electrical cables lying around. It's a complete joke for a modern building.

Anyone who thinks this place is anywhere close to the likes of Inchon, Narita, Haneda, Changi, should have their head examined.

Skytrax is either full of sh1t or they solicit reviews from troglodytes that have no appreciation for premium facilities.

tawlea..

While i was waiting for my plane at the departure gate, i did have a walk around. Some part are really clean, some hidden part of the airport are horrible(free broken computer, dirty sofa).... next time i will take picture and send them to Skytrax!

get a life sad sac..

this forum is full of moroncheesy.gif

Really is a crap airport.

Spend an hour waiting in a hot plane the other day waiting to take off.

Also nothing pisses me more than after a long flight, having to bloody jump on a bus instead of walking off the plane down an air bridge.

Saying that, bless the young lass at Burger King the other day who was polite and smiling despite the chaos of ordering going on around her.

Also, on a slightly different rant (Thai Air), a big thank you to the people around me who provided water, tissues and plastic bags when my son vomited on the plane after landing the other day. A big eff off to the Thai Air cabin stewards/hostesses who just stood there watching and looking gormless.

Edited by nottocus

Restrooms are the most filthy I have seen and also the sofas around the seating area is all dirty

Maybe you have a more efficient way to move 40-50 million people a year around without having to make them walk to far?

Look at HK and Singapore airports for examples of well organised ones

1. Have travelators going in BOTH directions (there aren't always) in A & B.

2. Let people in-transit from Domestic-to-International onto the travelators which DO exists, rather than forcing them to divert & walk up-to-1km through the Duty-Free shopping-level, to get to their transfer-desks.

3. Have a lift-connection from the Domestic-arrivals baggage-hall direct up to the Departures-level, rather than having to take 2-3 travelators, with all their bags on a trolley.

Really is a crap airport.

Spend an hour waiting in a hot plane the other day waiting to take off.

Also nothing pisses me more than after a long flight, having to bloody jump on a bus instead of walking off the plane down an air bridge.

Saying that, bless the young lass at Burger King the other day who was polite and smiling despite the chaos of ordering going on around her.

Also, on a slightly different rant (Thai Air), a big thank you to the people around me who provided water, tissues and plastic bags when my son vomited on the plane after landing the other day. A big eff off to the Thai Air cabin stewards/hostesses who just stood there watching and looking gormless.

on riding on buses, why you blaming the airport ?....blame the cheap charlie airline your flying with as they are ones who will not pay the air bridge fee for your flight

Edited by Bobotie

get a life sad sac..

this forum is full of moroncheesy.gif
and full of people who are only happy when they have something to moan about..