motorbike driving test

mangolover

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

This is from a 2009 post: "Just took my Motorbike License test and failed because I fell off that small plank you have to drive along. A retest is scheduled on Tuesday but I know I need practise. Is there anywhere in the Pattaya area where they have a course similar to the test course where I can go to practise?"

My story is exactly the same. Whatever anyone might say, that test is not easy; it is not made easier by the fact that the concrete surface is kind of patchy and lumpy, not level. I was not given a second chance. Practicing just riding slowly in a straight line might help, but somehow it seems not quite the same. The closest simulation might be riding on the edge of a sidewalk, which I haven't tried. I was thinking that the trick might be go faster as there's probably a critical speed at which gyroscopic stability kicks in, but I watched a YouTube video in which the rider seemed to be going quite slowly.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Go find a large car park.

with some white lines on the ground.

Practice riding on the line, don't use your brakes , just the throttle to start with.

getting slower as you get more confidante.

you need to learn good balance and throttle control, its the key to slow riding.

You should not need to much breaking to ride at very slow speed.

When your confident start to use the back brake to get slower.

Don't use the front brake until you can do the above very well.

and don't fall off.

Anyway you cant be worse than the locals on bikes , !!!!!!!! cheesy.gif

The Stadium at Chyapuke 2 has a large car park that many people use to learn to drive in, go have a go there. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Stadium maybe better,, no small children to run over !!!!!!!!

or cars to hit, could get expensive, i do believe behind the Big C second round pattaya there is a bus park around there, not sure exactly where ?

that may be good ? if that's you end of town

Edited by onemorechang

And take some money incase you get stopped by the police and don't have your license on you

facepalm.gif

Actually, this is sort of a different subject, but the previous day, Wednesday, I first went to the place with my residence certificate, medical certificate, and valid U.S. automobile license. I was really interested in only a motorbike license, but I was informed that, if I wanted just a motorbike license, I would have to come back in a month, but if I wanted both car and motorbike, I could take the test the next day. Huh? Naturally, I opted for the latter, and was then told to come back after lunch for the eye test, which turned out to be the color test. Then I had the braking reaction test, then the photo taken, paid 205 baht, and the next thing you know, I had a Thai (2-year) driving license, for car only. The next morning would be the motorbike riding test followed by the written (computer) test, for which I diligently studied the online sample questions.

Failing the motorbike test was a drag, but I figure that if I'm stopped and show the license and the appointment slip for the next motorbike test, I'm unlikely to get busted.

And take some money incase you get stopped by the police and don't have your license on you

facepalm.gif

Actually, this is sort of a different subject, but the previous day, Wednesday, I first went to the place with my residence certificate, medical certificate, and valid U.S. automobile license. I was really interested in only a motorbike license, but I was informed that, if I wanted just a motorbike license, I would have to come back in a month, but if I wanted both car and motorbike, I could take the test the next day. Huh? Naturally, I opted for the latter, and was then told to come back after lunch for the eye test, which turned out to be the color test. Then I had the braking reaction test, then the photo taken, paid 205 baht, and the next thing you know, I had a Thai (2-year) driving license, for car only. The next morning would be the motorbike riding test followed by the written (computer) test, for which I diligently studied the online sample questions.

Failing the motorbike test was a drag, but I figure that if I'm stopped and show the license and the appointment slip for the next motorbike test, I'm unlikely to get busted.

You could probably get away with flashing your car licence if you get stopped. Happened to me once when I'd forgotten my bike licence. Cop just waved me through once he had glanced at road tax and car licence.

You could probably get away with flashing your car licence if you get stopped. Happened to me once when I'd forgotten my bike licence. Cop just waved me through once he had glanced at road tax and car licence.

Some cops are smarter.

I did not get through with that (Pattaya 3rd rd.).

"car only"? whistling.gif

500 Baht without receipt saved me from a taxi ride to the police station.

Shortly after that I made the motorbike test at my home DLT.

Three weeks waiting for an appointment!

Got through without a glitch (test on 2nd day).

I used our automatic scooter which is probably not the easiest for the balance ride.

An old fashioned semi automatic has bigger wheels and is likely more stable.

Driving too slow is probably one of the basic errors.

The slower you drive the more difficult it is to keep the straight line.

Took me 15 attempts to do that slow 'plank' drive. I finally figured it out that be getting started on the 'plank' and then sighting on an object some distance away I could get the test done... Don't focus on the 'plank' but far away from it in a str8 line...

The inspectors gave me a resounding cheer of approval as they were happy to get rid of me!

Edited by fredge45