Failed marina sparks online storm over ‘black pipes’

Rimmer

Failed marina sparks online storm over ‘black pipes’

n8Black2.jpg

PATTAYA:--Breakaway pieces of the failed Pattaya Marina churned up a storm on social media, with online users wondering what the mysterious “black pipes” were seen floating off Yim Yom Beach.

Photos posted to the Pattaya Watchdog Facebook page taken by an unknown foreigner drew dozens of comments and shares earlier this month.

It turns out the “pipes” are pieces of the buoys used to surround the 700-million-baht Pattaya Marina, which was built between 2008 and 2014 and never opened due to repeated problems and funding shortages.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/failed-marina-sparks-online-storm-over-black-pipes-57066#sthash.O3dQcLgt.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-03-25 footer_n.gif

700 million baht of Pattaya citizens money down the drain, lucky nobody cares about minor details like that, or maybe they are just scared of speaking out in case they get assassinated at a wedding party

Who was building the marina ? Pattaya municipality or a private company ?

I believe the pipes in the picture are a system for lifting boats out of the water. They are flooded, the boat drives on, the water is pumped out, and the boat is lifted clear of the water. The idea was to reduce the amount of hauling speedboats in and out. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

In Pattaya where there is a huge demand for reasonably priced boat berths, it takes real talent to fail in building a municipal marina. The authorities could have learned from their neighbours in Malaysia where there are many government run, low cost marinas serving both local and expatriate vessels. The marina should, with that level of investment, have been an enormous success and a good money maker, as well as imposing some sort of discipline on the Koh larn speedboat fleet,

what gets me is that pattaya city staff (or those marine and harbour people whose premises are even opposite the marina) must have seen the different components of the marina gradually deteriorating and breaking up, but they were either too lazy or too carefree to even bother to go and recover them.

I took this photo several months ago as I was standing right next to the lighthouse watching one of these black tubes floating in the water.

and how can any half responsible city administration be content to allow things to deteriorate to such an extent that everything is piled up the way it is in the second picture?

World-class citygiggle.gif

post-149848-0-18342200-1458911901_thumb.

post-149848-0-62431300-1458912833_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

look without spelling it out...............ok I will

a budget was approved for this construction (not the only one) someones relative gets the job and the money after that is handed over for a job well done, if there was ever in all of Thailand that an admistrative body needs looking into - it is pattaya, I will predict the absolute worst in the country if it is ever investigated bar none

Phuket for some reason is getting the treatment but the powers that be are avoiding pattaya which is 10x worse.....go figure

If this current government is serious about stamping out corruption and influential people then pattaya is the role model for the whole country...........not much going on here so certain people are well and truly untouchable it seems

over to you PM Chan (o) Cha, time to take on something that people will respect you for

Yesterday i had to drive through where the boats are kept ,what a nightmare ,it was always bad but now its a joke ,i remember back in 2008 we were at a meeting discussing the finishing date for the condo block and the building of "boutique" shops all along where the boats are now , Pattaya ,dont ya just love it .

I believe the pipes in the picture are a system for lifting boats out of the water. They are flooded, the boat drives on, the water is pumped out, and the boat is lifted clear of the water. The idea was to reduce the amount of hauling speedboats in and out. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

In Pattaya where there is a huge demand for reasonably priced boat berths, it takes real talent to fail in building a municipal marina. The authorities could have learned from their neighbours in Malaysia where there are many government run, low cost marinas serving both local and expatriate vessels. The marina should, with that level of investment, have been an enormous success and a good money maker, as well as imposing some sort of discipline on the Koh larn speedboat fleet,

I stopped living in Pattaya at the start of 2014 and didn't know that the marina had become an "official" failure.

On the face of it a marina in Pattaya seemed like a winner and my only concern was that they would "price out" small boat owners.

It is always a pleasure to have ones prejudices confirmed and, as you point out, their "talent" has shone especially bright in this instance.

Edited by Enoon

what gets me is that pattaya city staff (or those marine and harbour people whose premises are even opposite the marina) must have seen the different components of the marina gradually deteriorating and breaking up, but they were either too lazy or too carefree to even bother to go and recover them.

I took this photo several months ago as I was standing right next to the lighthouse watching one of these black tubes floating in the water.

and how can any half responsible city administration be content to allow things to deteriorate to such an extent that everything is piled up the way it is in the second picture?

World-class citygiggle.gif

Maintainence, or rather, the complete lack of.