Thai police get tough on taxis refusing fares in Bangkok - thousands fined in ten day crackdown

rooster59

I do agree, most poeple don't know that many drivers rent their Taxi, if they return it late they will be fined. Not only that, they need to fill their car up before returning. During changing shift times, gas stations are normally packed with taxis filling their car up to return the car to the owners. Sometimes waiting at gas stations can take as long as 30-40min for some areas of the city.

Perhaps taxis should have a better system, a display board on the top saying the routes they are servicing during their shift ending time. I think fares should be more expensive during rush hour time too, so people will be encourage to use public transport to get to non-traffic areas. Its also fair for taxis since they are stuck on the road. Kind of a win win for both.

Most taxi drivers are decent, its the 1 out of 5 that spoils the whole experience.

So you are perfectly happy with an 80% of the taxi drivers being decent?

isn't that a good start? it would even be hard for some to find taxi drivers wanting to go to your destination 80% of the time during rush hour! so I don't think my standards are being too low here... if you live in Thailand you can't expect anything to be 100%

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, there is a genuine issue of drivers sending the cars back to a garage at the end of their rental period (usually 12 or 24 hours). If it is close to that time, they don't want to be too far away as they get fined for returning the vehicle late.

Also there is the issue of not understanding tourists. I saw one tourist yelling 'regent hotel' at a driver who was refusing them. When I got the address of the hotel and told the driver, he was willing to take them.

Taxis are pretty good here on the whole. They don't make much money. They're cheaper than Tuk Tuks!

Albeit sometimes I ask 10+ cabs to take me to Thonburi, before one will accept the fare.

I do agree, most poeple don't know that many drivers rent their Taxi, if they return it late they will be fined. Not only that, they need to fill their car up before returning. During changing shift times, gas stations are normally packed with taxis filling their car up to return the car to the owners. Sometimes waiting at gas stations can take as long as 30-40min for some areas of the city.

Perhaps taxis should have a better system, a display board on the top saying the routes they are servicing during their shift ending time. I think fares should be more expensive during rush hour time too, so people will be encourage to use public transport to get to non-traffic areas. Its also fair for taxis since they are stuck on the road. Kind of a win win for both.

Most taxi drivers are decent, its the 1 out of 5 that spoils the whole experience.

Its not an issue at all. Turn off the meter and no one will try to hail your taxi. If you are on the way back to the other side of town to return the taxi and see someone looking forba taxi, you are still free to pull over and say I am going towards xyz, are you going the same way?

Its not rocket science. There are other things to do, people just need to engage their brains a little and have a bit of intergrity.

Besides, this is the reason for denial in only very few cases. By far most are bc the drivers don't like the route or don't want to look for fares at the destination.

turning off your light then pulling over to ask if a passenger is going xyz direction is really not that much better as the taxi driver is still doing the choosing instead of the passenger.

I think the reason for denial 2-3 hours approaching to their shift times is always linked to them being able to return it on time.

As for other hours, it always has to do with traffic, like you say it can be for reasons due to the route or hard to find passengers in other destinations.

I live outside of Bangkok and my family takes the taxi on average 2-3 times per week, most taxis do prefer to go to my house during rush hour traffic even though it takes 1.5 hours than being stuck in Bangkok, Taxi can make around 300-400 baht in 1.5 hour instead of being stuck in the middle of city even though my area is deserted.

But like you said, there are a lot of variations...my experience can be very different from other folks who live in other parts of the city.

The only thing that can solve the problem is law enforcement and heavy fines...

For those who have not been here so long, some background. Originally every taxi negotiated the fare, then the authorities decided that traffic congestion would be reduced if meters were introduced thus alleviating the time spent negotiating the fare. This led to taxis displaying "taxi meter" to differentiate from those that did not get have a meter. Of course this being Thailand greed surfaced again and that is where we are now.

So if a taxi has a "Taxi Meter" sign on the top, and an illuminated sign in the window, is it not a condition of their licence that they should actually USE the meter?

To be fair, there is a genuine issue of drivers sending the cars back to a garage at the end of their rental period (usually 12 or 24 hours). If it is close to that time, they don't want to be too far away as they get fined for returning the vehicle late.

Also there is the issue of not understanding tourists. I saw one tourist yelling 'regent hotel' at a driver who was refusing them. When I got the address of the hotel and told the driver, he was willing to take them.

Taxis are pretty good here on the whole. They don't make much money. They're cheaper than Tuk Tuks!

Albeit sometimes I ask 10+ cabs to take me to Thonburi, before one will accept the fare.

Its not an issue at all. Turn off the meter and no one will try to hail your taxi. If you are on the way back to the other side of town to return the taxi and see someone looking forba taxi, you are still free to pull over and say I am going towards xyz, are you going the same way?

Its not rocket science. There are other things to do, people just need to engage their brains a little and have a bit of intergrity.

Besides, this is the reason for denial in only very few cases. By far most are bc the drivers don't like the route or don't want to look for fares at the destination.

turning off your light then pulling over to ask if a passenger is going xyz direction is really not that much better as the taxi driver is still doing the choosing instead of the passenger.

I think the reason for denial 2-3 hours approaching to their shift times is always linked to them being able to return it on time.

As for other hours, it always has to do with traffic, like you say it can be for reasons due to the route or hard to find passengers in other destinations.

I live outside of Bangkok and my family takes the taxi on average 2-3 times per week, most taxis do prefer to go to my house during rush hour traffic even though it takes 1.5 hours than being stuck in Bangkok, Taxi can make around 300-400 baht in 1.5 hour instead of being stuck in the middle of city even though my area is deserted.

But like you said, there are a lot of variations...my experience can be very different from other folks who live in other parts of the city.

The only thing that can solve the problem is law enforcement and heavy fines...

And also you would have to teach the Thai taxi drivers to speak the universal language of English ("say I am going towards xyz, are you going the same way?") in order to be understood. And to be honest, half the time the tourist type passenger will not have a clue about how to get to his destination anyway!

A second offense to be dealt with severaly. That's good, what exactly is the punishment?

The punishment is a slap on the wrist, you naughty taxi driver do not do that.

1000 baht for the first offence is a fairly hefty fine for someone earning 10-15K a month. 3-6 months licence suspension for a second offence means they can't earn a living for that period of time as a taxi driver. Slap on the wrist? I don't think so.

I agree with you if the police follow the law on the long term. Or it will just become a new way for them to get more bribes...

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to phone for a meter taxi?

I was refused to the point I gave up the other day. They offered fixed rates from 200% to 500% fare. Ended up getting a 150% one finally when I walked out to a bigger street, after being refused there too and offered 200 or more percent rates, but once in the cab he argued to use the express, which is another 50 baht (the trip is only 20 minutes without). I said he'd already told me his rate, but we could go by express if by meter. Had to exit the cab on the road and walk to BTS.

Going to fly out of BKK one of these days. Can I call for a taxi?

Edited by candels

Is it possible to phone for a meter taxi?

I was refused to the point I gave up the other day. They offered fixed rates from 200% to 500% fare. Ended up getting a 150% one finally when I walked out to a bigger street, after being refused there too and offered 200 or more percent rates, but once in the cab he argued to use the express, which is another 50 baht (the trip is only 20 minutes without). I said he'd already told me his rate, but we could go by express if by meter. Had to exit the cab on the road and walk to BTS.

Going to fly out of BKK one of these days. Can I call for a taxi?

You can try Grab Taxi or Uber. I haven't had much luck with Grab Taxi to the airport in BKK. Some have written that Uber's a good alternative, but in my limited experience with it there was no savings over just giving into the fixed-fee taxi drivers, the less bloodthirsty ones anyway. Even the hotel porters give up on trying to find taxis for you that'll use the meter these days. If travelling light, I'd use BTS + ARL if I could. The thread title about police getting tough is just another joke on gullible foreigners: almost time for another one... 'Just something else for which Thailand has become notorious despite the occasional "20 yrs and I've never had a problem" shill here on TVF.

I think there must have been a crackdown in Khon Kaen. I used a taxi this week to get to and from the airport from the main bus terminal, and both times the meter was used. That has never happened before in the many times I've done the route. The meter fare was 80, the non-meter fare was 150.

From the airport it is meter plus 50 baht surcharge, if you use the official taxi meter desk, on the far left as you come out of arrivals.

There are, however, touts asking for a lot more if you do not know about the official fare.

EDIT: Hidden post removed
"I really don't see the problem. Usually after a few taxis, one will take us."

The fact that they are supposed to take you under the terms of their licence, hence the "crackdown' on taxi drivers refusing fares.

The problem is that redundant sign on the top - you know - the one that says "Meter Taxi"!

Oh, and by the way, I also don't agree with restaurants charging a compulsory service charge and VAT when it's not shown on the menu! Seriously! .......

Edited by Moderator01

We were refused 3 times this past week on Suk Soi 39 around 3pm. Didn't want to do a short trip with traffic to soi 55. Finally, offered 100B, no meter. We got a ride.

There is the BTS you could have used

Doesn't matter this thread is about taxis not available options regarding the BTS.

There's no excuse that should be of any concern to any passenger. Those are the taxi companies' problems to solve.

Agree its not the passengers problem. Just making a point of why drivers refuse pasengers. Of course drivers should be the one who go home without trying to squeeze in extra income. If they do go home during changing shift times, there will be a shortage of taxis on the road. Its not really the problem of taxi companies too.

If you are in Bangkok, Uber is the way to go and its cheaper.

I tried using Uber as I heard people saying this. Guess what? He refused my fare to Ayutthaya. I typed in Ayutthaya as the destination into the app. Wasn't too impressed. I know Ayutthaya might be a tad far but uber drivers can refuse fares even if uncommon.

Edited by anotheruser

We were refused 3 times this past week on Suk Soi 39 around 3pm. Didn't want to do a short trip with traffic to soi 55. Finally, offered 100B, no meter. We got a ride.

You should have walked.

It might not have occurred to you but not everyone shares your reality.

Some people have mobility issues that make using mass transit and walking what seems like reasonable distances challenging. Add in stifling daytime heat most times of the year and your smug advice can be ill-advised.

A little cognizance and sympathy goes a long way.

SL

Better to have gotten the bus than give into extortion

Better to have gotten the bus than give into extortion

Would have loved to. Sadly, no buses in this area over to Thong Lor.

Now I have a the DLT app, I try and make a note of the plate number as soon as I open the passenger door to make the destination request and await their response. Last Sunday it took me three attempts to get one of the buggers to take me, but usually by the time I'm sat in the eventual taxi and we're moving (with meter), I've calmed down and I can't be bothered to report them.