21 day overstay and new passport surrending old one

A little problem here and seeking advice.

I missed getting the 30 day extension on my tourist visa because basically I could not walk. Bung knee.

Same time my passport only has one page so I had to apply for a new one and once received surrender the old one transferring an expired visa onto the new passport.

I'm not working illegally or anything shonky. It was just a case I wouldn't have been able to walk up the steps or around at CW to get the extension. Aus Consolant will not issue new PS unless I hand over old one. If I just left on that one page I would get into Lao but no room for visa back into Thailand.

Do I risk going into CW when on overstay and explaining the situation?

Or is the best way have BKK emabassy forward the new paasport to Vietiane. Then go out on the old and back in on the new. Only problem with this is exiting Lao on a new PS has insuffient room on old PS for exit stamp and will still need to surrender it to get new.

Any other meaniful suggestions?

thanks

Are you sure the Australian Embassy keep your old passport ?

Normally you would present both passports on exit from the country.

There is little point in going to immigration because it is very unlikely that with 21 days+ overstay they will be able to assist you.

You should leave the country preferably by air as soon as possible.

Take both passports with you , pay the fine and leave.

Try to avoid being found on overstay by the Police.

• If you have a 21 day overstay you are best advised to stay clear of any immigration office and to exit asap.
  • Overstay aside, normally you get a new passport and use both passports when exiting the country. You will need to show the passport with the entry stamp in order to leave.

Aus embassy adamant I had to surrender the old passport to be given the new. Don't know why because I have previous old passports just with the corners cut off.

Normally gone yo Savanakhet and no problem with OS. By bus is fine. I know there they can look up previous visas as last stamp washed away in beer sad.png. Its just whether they will accept not having the exit stamp in same PS as entry visa.

Only other option I see is fly in and out of Aus where I don't need a stamp and come back on new PS. Expensive exercise!

Taking your post at face value ...

Do a same day flight out and back to KL on your old passport to get a visa exempt entry. Explain truthfully to immigration on exit and entry why you are doing this. Then get the passport replacement.

However, the Embassy should just cancel your old passport (typically by cutting off the corners) not retain it.

One option that would not occur to me is traveling hoping to meet up with a new passport elsewhere.

...once received surrender the old one transferring an expired visa onto the new passport.

Immigrations doesn't transfer visas. They would normally check the old passport and put new permission to stay stamp in new passport. If the Australian embassy is serious about surrendering the passport, you should photocopy the relevant pages ... although I would think immigrations would expect to see both old and new passports or a police report about the old one being lost or stolen. The embassy should be aware you need the old passport when exiting the country.

I doubt that your story of having an injured knee will generate any sympathy. Apparently being banned from re-entry is not yet being enforced, but it could become reality any day now. Probably safer to fly out rather than use a land crossing.

• Like 2

Thanks Saradit69 that works for me as long as Malaysia visa is just a stamp in and out, then Thai visa exempt on entry back into BKK. Enough for one page, and have receipt for new PS. Then pick up new PS and transfer entry permit across to new PS.

My understanding of the ban is its only after 90 days unless your charged and convicted of something which was probably on the cards beforehand.

regards

My understanding of the ban is its only after 90 days unless your charged and convicted of something which was probably on the cards beforehand.

If you are caught on overstay between now and reaching the border there is a chance that you could be arrested, sent through the deportation process and banned for 5 years. Your passport problem is the least of your worries.

Taking your post at face value ...

Do a same day flight out and back to KL on your old passport to get a visa exempt entry. Explain truthfully to immigration on exit and entry why you are doing this. Then get the passport replacement.

However, the Embassy should just cancel your old passport (typically by cutting off the corners) not retain it.

One option that would not occur to me is traveling hoping to meet up with a new passport elsewhere.

Good advice. Fly out now to anywhere you don't need a visa. Clear overstay. Fly back los visa exempt stamp. Even if it requires an onward ticket just purchase cheap one. Then sort out your pp. AU embassy will not retain old pp. . Edited by jacksam

Aus embassy adamant I had to surrender the old passport to be given the new. Don't know why because I have previous old passports just with the corners cut off.

Normally gone yo Savanakhet and no problem with OS. By bus is fine. I know there they can look up previous visas as last stamp washed away in beer sad.png. Its just whether they will accept not having the exit stamp in same PS as entry visa.

Only other option I see is fly in and out of Aus where I don't need a stamp and come back on new PS. Expensive exercise!

Flying to Aus and getting a new passport there might be your only choice. i've just noticed the following report in another thread.

I took the plane out to Kuala Lumpur the 18th and return the same day. The immigration said no way and returned me back to KL. Went to Penang and got a TV and they hassled me at immigration but eventually let me in. And im a Scandinavian btw.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/905720-coming-back-after-overstay-20000-baht-fine/?p=10570738

Last post scares me a bit but flying in and out KL tomorrow. Not that worried about police and rumors of arrest. If Thai police starting checking every foreigners PS (20m + tourists per year) they would shut the city down, flood the courts and police system, overwhelm all embassies and basically crash their tourism industry. That said now isn't the time to be p*ssed acting the fool around party zones.

I was queried once entering Thailand as to why and it was simply valid reason (family) and proof of funds and not working. Worst case scenario I'll get PS forwarded to Malaysia fly to Cambodia chill out for couple of weeks then back to BKK.

If they want to get serious about people working illegally. Hit the Language schools. Teachers working part time mostly would not have a WP associated with that school!

Last post scares me a bit but flying in and out KL tomorrow. Not that worried about police and rumors of arrest. If Thai police starting checking every foreigners PS (20m + tourists per year) they would shut the city down, flood the courts and police system, overwhelm all embassies and basically crash their tourism industry. That said now isn't the time to be p*ssed acting the fool around party zones.

I was queried once entering Thailand as to why and it was simply valid reason (family) and proof of funds and not working. Worst case scenario I'll get PS forwarded to Malaysia fly to Cambodia chill out for couple of weeks then back to BKK.

If they want to get serious about people working illegally. Hit the Language schools. Teachers working part time mostly would not have a WP associated with that school!

There are reports of people on overstay being refused at KL and Cambodia, but not in Penang or land crossing at Nongkhai

Usually the embassies take the passports from you for the duration of the application being processed as ID proof and then optionally returning it to you with your new passport. The only time I have seen a country demand the passport be surrendered is when there is an outstanding warrant or liability that you have outstanding. You should see if you can get a reprieve on condition that you surrender the passport by a specific date at the first destination outside of Thailand -- which if you do not do you could be charged with a crime (theft). Failure of that the Embassy should have a specific form/letter that they give you that you were required to surrender the passport. That along with a photocopy of your old passport (all pages), the exit card, and the new passport may be enough from immigration on exit (but no guarantees). You might also ask the embassy to certify/stamp all the photocopied pages to indicate that as far as they are concerned - it photocopy is an exact copy at the time of surrender.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Dont ask the embassy anything ........................TELL THEM that you need your old passport to show to immigration in Thailand to enable them to transfer the permission to stay into your new passport.

I agree with bkkcanuck8 ( above)............usually you have to submit the old passport along with the application for a new passport ---purely as proof of ID and as proof of a previous passport which streamlines the process for the new passport --but you should get it back, especially IF YOU ASK FOR IT BACK as a reminder of your travels.

The embassy has no need to keep it.

Edited by novo58
  • Like 1

I just got a new passport in Australia last month. They cut the corner and the data strip from the photo page off. Showed both passports on return and IO noted details from old passport next to Permission to Stay stamp. Check again with the embassy.

Edited by swoods58
  • Like 1