Impact Of Floral Exposition On Rentals?

jackie45

The wife & I arrive CM Nov. 22 and have a weeks reservation at the CM Orchid during which we need to find a condo rental for a minimum of the next 4 months. All the write-ups about the International Floral show have made us wonder whether we should iniate contact with an agent to start loking for us, or whether our plan to do our own intensive search on arrival is prudent? Any thoughts?

While we are at it- are there better exchange rates for travelers checks or crisp new $ 100 US?

I would wait until you get here. There are lots of condos for rent and you would really need to see them before you decide to rent.

Near your hotel there are many many condos so you should be able to see quite a few yourself quite easily without using agents (agents bulid in commission into the rent so cheaper if you do it yourself).

A safer option than carrying around bills is check with your bank about using your debit card. ATMs are not a problem here.

The wife & I arrive CM Nov. 22 and have a weeks reservation at the CM Orchid during which we need to find a condo rental for a minimum of the next 4 months. All the write-ups about the International Floral show have made us wonder whether we should iniate contact with an agent to start loking for us, or whether our plan to do our own intensive search on arrival is prudent? Any thoughts?

While we are at it- are there better exchange rates for travelers checks or crisp new $ 100 US?

Definately, don'tbring 100's. Most crime here is crime by stealth (burgalaries, etc.), and once a 100 is gone, it is gone for good... Plus, travelers checks, as I recall, have a better rate :o

As for finding a place, I don't feel the flower show is going to have much effect, but I do feel that using an agent is a good idea. First, you are likely to see places that you would not have had access to without one, and you can see what the prices are... There is always so many reasons why a place is cheaper/more expensive, that any arguments are ridiculous, so it's best to come in with an eye to each place individually. Most agents get a 'Price' equal to one month's rent (paid by landlord), which I felt was fair, in my experience. You also will have a 'local' looking for you, which can't be beat... :D

If you are staying at the Orchid, you will be within 15 minutes walking distance of at least 20 or more condo buildings, with four of them just 5 minutes walk to the left as you exit the hotel. There is no need to pay an agent's commision. Some people are afraid to try on their own and NEED the advice of an agent. If you have a bit of adventure in you, you'll do fine. Remember to bargain over the prices. There are far more condos available than there are renters looking for them.

Better to bring smaller denomination bills, but you can always change $100's at any exchange window. There are so many exchange places these days, some banks are using mobile vans parked in tourist areas just to compete. Best of all is to use your ATM card and not bring a lot of cash. You might pay a slightly higher exchange rate, but unless you are changing thousands of dollars, you'll only be paying $5-$15 more during your entire trip.

The Fly Fisherman

Posted Today, 2006-10-30 11:11:46

Sorry, it didn't click with me that you are looking for a condo. In that case, fly fisherman is correct, and you really wouldn't get much benefit from an agent, in my opinion

Fly fisherman is indeed correct Huay Keow Road next to the Orchid hotel as I said has many many condos for rent. Finding one should not be a problem at all. You certainly don't need the services of an agent, there should be many to chose from and you will quickly get an idea of prices and value for money. The agents will only show you what they have on their books (good or bad) and will not go looking for you.

Happy hunting. :o

Hillside 4 or 5 would seem to fit the bill

Hillside 5 is now owned by Pan Pacific (Asia Pacific?) Resorts, and they are planning to use it as a hotel. However, if you do get a place there, you can be assured of privacy. Almost no one occupies it!! Watch the building for a couple of evenings. You'll only see 3-4 lighted apartments in the entire place. It's empty! On the other hand, there is a great 99 baht buffet restaurant just below and beside it. I makes some wonder aromas and lots of very loud music EVERY NIGHT, and as a resident you get those smells and sounds for free! EVERY NIGHT!

It might get some usage during the Flower Festival, but afterwards it should empty out again. However, it IS built to Thai building standards, so watch out for falling rocks.

Hillside 4 isn't empty though. It has at least 60% occupation. There are DOZENS of empty one and two bedroom apartments for rent, but they are asking a lot, even per month for them. A one room place (45 sq. meters) is going for 7,000-9,000 baht per month, (asking price) and that includes the termites, power failures, elevator break-downs and triple parking underneath. But be careful when you walk in to the building. Several of the large marble facing tiles have already fallen. To be fair, they are replacing them. They began falling two years ago, and began fixing them last month. One side of the entryway is blocked off because of it, and they have to fix the other side so that people can enter the building.

You can get some great bargains in these places if you play your cards right and can bargain well.

The Fly Fisherman

Gee whiz - and all that time that I lived in VianPing Mansion by Rincome, and those sorts of problems were routine for us, I thought Hillside 4 was the top of the rock, the luxury residence. Hopefully, my condo rental days are past me now.

Many of the condominium buildings in Chiangmai are shonky in respect of construction standards.

"not only condominiums either"

One only needs to look a Gad Suan Kaew when you are ascending the "roundabout" to the diferent levels of the car park.

Reinforcing steel is exposed all over the place (resteel is only good if it is encased in concrete as it has no absolutely no strength and contributes little to the structural integrity of the building when exposed as it is) and of course it is not protected from the elements and will rust and corrode.

Gad Suan Kaew is a shocking yet unfortunately typical example of the building standards in this country.

Many moons ago I worked (gen sup't) on similar type buildings and I would have expected to have been fired on the spot if I had produced such shoddy work.

But it is the norm here in the realm.

Some buildings look "OK" when finished as they have perfected the knack of covering up and concealing all the structural imperfections. Like so many other things here it is merely a "front" TIT

> While we are at it- are there better exchange rates for travelers checks or crisp new $ 100 US?

Both are incredibly 'last-millennium'. Really an ATM card will do. Rate depends on your bank, some banks don't charge fees for international ATM withdrawals.

Doesn't hurt to have a couple traveller's checks and perhaps 1 $100 bill as backup, of course.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> While we are at it- are there better exchange rates for travelers checks or crisp new $ 100 US?

Both are incredibly 'last-millennium'. Really an ATM card will do. Rate depends on your bank, some banks don't charge fees for international ATM withdrawals.

Doesn't hurt to have a couple traveller's checks and perhaps 1 $100 bill as backup, of course.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Have to be careful cos everyone is so sensitive it seems (from recent posts) but for anyone to travel the world without a few greenbacks in their back pocket they are in cuckoo land.

OK., Thailand is perhaps not a good example but if you are in eastern bloc, CIS, Russia or the Middle East an ATM card in most cases would be as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

I am not American but I wouldn't travel anywhere without at least a grand of US$ in my kick.

Like it or not the only universally accepted currency in the world is the greenback.

p.s. not getting at you Chanchao...

Edited by john b good