How about some easy DIY bacon?

Crossy

That looks delicious and doesn't seem beyond my capabilities.  I'll give it a shot when I'm living in a more convenient and comfortable home.  But... I'll have to call it "Canadian bacon" so my American friends can understand.

What... you don't have a solar stove?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We lived in Italy for several years (I met my Thai wife in Rome!). I really like prosciutto but I'd go up the wall waiting 6 weeks for it ???? 

Now I'm drooling at the thought of prosciutto, artisan mozzarella-di-buffala and fresh bread with a bottle (or two) of the local liquid on a Sunday lunchtime. Watching the poor fools getting hitched at the local church.

Happy Days. I have a place in rural Basilicata overlooking the sea. Been stuck here since Apl 20. Missing all the local delicacies. Especially the 15 % Merlot at €10 a litre.

• Like 1

I do exactly the same but 2kg at a time, and add some Liquid Smoke to the curing salt, and rub some in before the oven. I forget where I got it, on T 'internet somewhere.

The Sodium Ascorbate mentioned in the recipe is E330, Citric Acid, so I guess a squeeze of lemon might suffice.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Instructions here http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=541 do follow the quantities accurately.

Just had a look here, where it has you mixing up 220 gm of cure, but only using 60 gms of it, For me Salt x (45gm), sugar x 15 gm, Prague x 0.333 for a 2kg loin. 

It does not mention any 'cooking"" ie a few hours at very low temperature, about 60 C. Does it not need that?

Chill it for a few days, then get your sharp knife out, keep fingers out of the way, and slice it CAREFULLY.

Cling film 4 rashers at a time so enough for a good butty, on your home-made ciabotta rolls of course. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, gamb00ler said:

What... you don't have a solar stove?

Madam has a charcoal fired hob, it makes fantastic chips (french fries) as it has so much energy the oil barely chills when they go in. We also have a wimpy LPG hob of course.

Whilst it's not exactly low pollution when starting up it is carbon-neutral. The charcoal comes from sustainable wood (forestry thinnings), is burned in the traditional manner (using "traditional" oil-drums) and delivered by a chap on a bicycle.

post-14979-0-00738600-1453804640.jpg

• Like 2

You guys should be watching couredicioccolato on YouTube. He was in Thailand but back in Italy now. Every recipe is a winner. Banana and mango wine, ginger beer and candy, cured meats and homemade cheeses, limoncello and ameretto he does it all simply and delicious.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:32 AM, norfolkandchance said:

Your next project. Prosciutto. Takes 6 weeks +.

Whats the difference between this and Parma ham. When i was a youngster i worked at a delicatessen within a supermarket where we sliced our own bacon. Guy used to come in and ask for it to be sliced on number one ( could only slice on number 3 without shredding the bacon) every month he would come in and ask the same and i would tell him the same and cut it on 3. He was obviously eating it raw so i tasted some too. Years later on a cruise i was given some Parma ham and surprise surprise it tasted exactly like raw bacon., pushing it away i  could not believe people were fighting over who was going to have my raw meat /bacon

Edited by Dene16
delete word

On 8/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, KannikaP said:

I do exactly the same but 2kg at a time, and add some Liquid Smoke to the curing salt, and rub some in before the oven. I forget where I got it, on T 'internet somewhere.

The Sodium Ascorbate mentioned in the recipe is E330, Citric Acid, so I guess a squeeze of lemon might suffice.

Ascorbate is used to retain the original color. More likely used in sliceable products like cooked ham than products that are one sized portions like sausages. For home use you wouldn't need ascorbate at all. 

In Chiang Mai available at the 'chemistry' store on Suthep Road opposite Neurological Hospital.

Great result Crossy. 

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Whats the difference between this and Parma ham. When i was a youngster i worked at a delicatessen within a supermarket where we sliced our own bacon. Guy used to come in and ask for it to be sliced on number one ( could only slice on number 3 without shredding the bacon) every month he would come in and ask the same and i would tell him the same and cut it on 3. He was obviously eating it raw so i tasted some too. Years later on a cruise i was given some Parma ham and surprise surprise it tasted exactly like raw bacon., pushing it away i  could not believe people were fighting over who was going to have my raw meat /bacon

Same Same but different. Parma ham can be cured for over a year and up to 3 years. Bacon is normally cured with Prague #1 and then cooked. While Prosciutto is cured with #2 and eaten raw.

I have a childhood memory of going shopping for my mum and ordering bacon cut on number 6.

On a trip to Sardinia once we sat down for lunch and ordered  Antipasto. It arrived with meats and cheeses and included Casu Martzu ( soft cheese with maggots ). Not for the feint hearted.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, KannikaP said:

How about give it a real smoking 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiangmaiMax said:

How about give it a real smoking 

I tried to do it with some wood chips on a tray in the oven and alu foil round the meat. But at 60C, no smoke came off the wood as it wasn't hot enough and I didn't want to cook the bacon. I have seen home made smokers, but can't be bothered, the liquid stuff is OK for me.

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:37 AM, Crossy said:

We lived in Italy for several years (I met my Thai wife in Rome!). I really like prosciutto but I'd go up the wall waiting 6 weeks for it ???? 

But you only need to wait six weeks once...and can surely make do with your new-found tasty bacon till then...

Next batch instead of double bacon do half bacon, half prosciutto...week later same again.  Repeat for five weeks, at which point the prosciutto conveyor will start to spit out product...

PH

• Like 1