Restaurants near Loi Kroh Rd area.

jonesyb

If you want "authentic" Thai food, start at the ring road (or second ring road) and drive in any direction on any road until you hit an eatery with ramshackle building, poxy and rickety tables and chairs, a glass case with Mama noodles and some vegetables in it and eat there.

No one can complain about it being "not real Thai."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble is when someone suggests "nice Thai" the response is "no, that's not AUTHENTIC Thai food" Thus, Riverside and River Market get tossed to the curb yet both are very pretty settings (at least the newer part of Riverside is, the part away from the river) and the food is good. I guess in these parts, AUTHENTIC Thai food has to be eaten off a plastic plate while sitting on a stool in the footpath, breathing car fumes.

Just ask "do you want good Thai food or authentic Thai food?".

I'd like to clarify that the food is great on the river side of Riverside, but I like the atmosphere better, especially in the evening, on the side across the road. Pretty water feature and the tables aren't as close together. The food is the same, of course.

I'd like to clarify that the food is great on the river side of Riverside, but I like the atmosphere better, especially in the evening, on the side across the road. Pretty water feature and the tables aren't as close together. The food is the same, of course.

Riverside is for young people, crammed in like sardines, who like live Thai rock bands.

(been there trying to impress a 30yo Thai girl I wanted)

River Market is for elderly Americans, with enough room for those with walking sticks.

(been there to a 74th birthday party)

Who would have guessed your preference?

Edited by BritManToo

Riverside by the river has always had really nice authentic Thai food.

River Market makes no attempt to describe itself as 'authentic Thai', it's a Thai fusion restaurant. Thai food prepared (watered down) specially for Americans.

I wouldn't say watered down though, I'd say improved. It's not lacking in taste, they tend to be traditional Thai themes, but with higher level ingredients.

For example if you do a Thai style salad (yam) and you use a beautiful piece of tuna seared just right, then that's just objectively better than any piece of fuzzy fish. Same with a beef salad using nicer beef, or Hanglay Curry with goat meat instead of the usual nasty/fatty pork.

It's kind of like a really nice Thai restaurant abroad. (Or Bangkok, which is semi-abroad)

My only gripe really is that it's a bit expensive; but then again looking at the place and the ingredients that's understandable. (Kind of doubt they're making a profit to be honest, or at least not as much as Riverside, Good View et al.) I would probably have tweaked the format some time ago.. can't rely on the expat ladies knitting club and a couple US holidays per year.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

My only gripe really is that it's a bit expensive; but then again looking at the place and the ingredients that's understandable. (Kind of doubt they're making a profit to be honest, or at least not as much as Riverside, Good View et al.) I would probably have tweaked the format some time ago.. can't rely on the expat ladies knitting club and a couple US holidays per year.

Allegedly, they don't need to make any profit.

Surprised they don't lower the prices and keep everyone happy.

Another recommendation for 'The Whole Earth Restaurant.' Good Thai and Indian food, nice sized servings at honest prices. Very nice ambiance too, both inside and out.

The Whole Earth is on the river?

Another recommendation for 'The Whole Earth Restaurant.' Good Thai and Indian food, nice sized servings at honest prices. Very nice ambiance too, both inside and out.

The Whole Earth is on the river?

No. What's your point?

Can it be a hooker bar also if they don't offer staff the option to go 'off', for a price? For example, Zoe? Or just about any other bar in Chiang Mai where there's no off-fee but you just need to get acquanted via LINE and Facebook?

Not if no money changes hands.

I like Jeap's in Moonmuang Soi 1

Front is awful, but a reasonable garden at the back, most dishes 70bht.

Traditional Thai food, served on decent china plates, cooked in front of you, photo menu.

Very nice Panang curry.

Edited by BritManToo