How many posts.........

bermondburi

Yes, strange, is there a double price , like national parks ?

You should send this picture ( where did you find it ? not a fake ? ) and ask them here http://www.forabee.com/en/index.php

There is no " s " at " bahts " and the farang price is much bigger than the thai text ; isn'it strange ?

when you look at their products, the price is never written ; you took the picture yourself or you found it on the Internet ?

Edited by Aforek

when you look at their products, the price is never written ; you took the picture yourself or you found it on the Internet ?

A wealth of examples here (incl. the above).

https://twitter.com/2pricethailand

Richard Barrow has it on his FB/Twitter.

And they have another type, 350 vs. 110 Baht.

CeiqulzWsAAC_VB.jpg

And the site has an ever more "clever" example.

They got aware that some farangs have learned the numerals.

So they try it with spelled out numbers and "baht".

Children 30 vs. 100 Baht. Adults 50 vs. 150 Baht.

Crooks bah.gif

post-99794-0-43612600-1459176142_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't understand. I see this honey at Tops all the time and I never saw price on the packaging like this.

Probably a small local shop. Wouldn't have thought somewhere like Tops would have a price for Thais and price for foreigners. It's a poster, not the actual packaging.

Get out of the city.

I buy my honey from the local farmers.

Cheap.

No problems.

attachicon.gifhmong-market-honey-combs.jpg

Again and again....you are missing the point !

The point for him is that double pricing is the foreigners fault because they don't act Thai enough - that if one "respects the local culture," that people will reward that with equitable treatment. It's a delusion I used to have as well.

In fact, nobody cares if you wai really well or know all the right forms of address for different social station or volunteer at the temple to sweep up leaves. There's no scorecard to fill up, and once you fill it, you're just like a Thai.

In the Kingdom, you'll always be judged on your race.

Edited by BudRight

A wealth of examples here (incl. the above).

https://twitter.com/2pricethailand

Richard Barrow has it on his FB/Twitter.

And they have another type, 350 vs. 110 Baht.

CeiqulzWsAAC_VB.jpg

And the site has an ever more "clever" example.

They got aware that some farangs have learned the numerals.

So they try it with spelled out numbers and "baht".

Children 30 vs. 100 Baht. Adults 50 vs. 150 Baht.

Crooks bah.gif

attachicon.gifCbzf3TDUsAQ9TsD.jpg

Thanks for these informations, very instructive

It comes from the shop, not from Fora bee; when you visit Fora bee site, no price on the labels http://www.forabee.com/en/product.php?id=3

I knew this dual pricing for parks or attractions but not for food : disgusting !

I notice the poster with the Thai text in full letters, not in numbers ; they think no farangs can read Thai ?

Get out of the city.

I buy my honey from the local farmers.

Cheap.

No problems.

attachicon.gifhmong-market-honey-combs.jpg

Again and again....you are missing the point !

The point for him is that double pricing is the foreigners fault because they don't act Thai enough - that if one "respects the local culture," that people will reward that with equitable treatment. It's a delusion I used to have as well.

In fact, nobody cares if you wai really well or know all the right forms of address for different social station or volunteer at the temple to sweep up leaves. There's no scorecard to fill up, and once you fill it, you're just like a Thai.

In the Kingdom, you'll always be judged on your race.

My point is that if you choose to live in the westernized parts of Thailand, like Bangkok, Pattaya and the like, you are easy prey for people who make a living taking advantage of foreigners who do not understand the language, culture and value of things.

Avoid these areas and you will find yourself being treated like everyone else.

In some cases, in the north, foreigners are treated better than your average Thai.

Yes., I and others I know are actually given discounts in small markets that Thai people don't get.

For instance, I noticed that at my local store, I was being charged 3 baht less for a quart of beer than Thai people were and I asked why.

I was told " Thai guy comes and buy one beer every couple of weeks. You come here and buy two beer every day. I want you to come here every day and not go to other store."

Three baht is not a lot, but being treated as a prefered customer, keeps me coming back.

I don't think it is I missing the point benalibina

The practice of discriminatory pricing is certainly not unique to Thailand or Asia. Complaints in the West about women being overcharged by car dealers, minorities being overcharged on loans despite good credit scores, or contractors gouging for jobs are not difficult to find.

People also need to remember that things weren't all that different back home in years past. This description from Robert Gordon's The Rise and Fall of American Growth of what shopping in 1870's America was like may sound familiar to many here:

"…a trip to the local general store was both time consuming and a special occasion. The entire family would come along and spend its surplus of marketed food in trade for shoes, men's clothing, and fabrics for the women to use in making their own clothes. …Prices were determined by haggling and the transactions had an undercurrent of tension. …There was also a dichotomy in the prices paid, as rural families were often victims of price gouging by local monopoly country stores, at the same time that it was not uncommon for people perceived to be more well-to-do to be charged more than others."

The book goes on to explain that it was the rise of mail order catalogues, supermarket chains, and department stores which offered standardized pricing which pressured other businesses to standardize their prices. The internet, of course, has accelerated this process even further. You see these same forces at work in modern day Thailand with Lotus, Big C, Makro, 7-11 and the internet taking ever larger market share. Forabee is an outlier example of a retailer hopelessly out of touch with the marketplace forces at play here, the growing sophistication of consumers, and the power of social media. But let's not get our panties in a twist over this, gentlemen; the truth is that things have improved considerably here over the past 10 years.

But please, for goodness' sake, let's not forget that these changes were forced by competition, not because Western businesses have inherently higher ethical standards. Things weren't all that different one hundred years ago back home, examples of unscrupulous pricing can still be found all over the world, and market forces are going to put a stop to these practices soon enough, so I don't see much point in getting worked up over isolated cases such as this. Just vote with your feet. The message will be received soon enough.

Edited by Gecko123

The practice of discriminatory pricing is certainly not unique to Thailand or Asia. Complaints in the West about women being overcharged by car dealers, minorities being overcharged on loans despite good credit scores, or contractors gouging for jobs are not difficult to find.

People also need to remember that things weren't all that different back home in years past. This description from Robert Gordon's The Rise and Fall of American Growth of what shopping in 1870's America was like may sound familiar to many here:

"…a trip to the local general store was both time consuming and a special occasion. The entire family would come along and spend its surplus of marketed food in trade for shoes, men's clothing, and fabrics for the women to use in making their own clothes. …Prices were determined by haggling and the transactions had an undercurrent of tension. …There was also a dichotomy in the prices paid, as rural families were often victims of price gouging by local monopoly country stores, at the same time that it was not uncommon for people perceived to be more well-to-do to be charged more than others."

The book goes on to explain that it was the rise of mail order catalogues, supermarket chains, and department stores which offered standardized pricing which pressured other businesses to standardize their prices. The internet, of course, has accelerated this process even further. You see these same forces at work in modern day Thailand with Lotus, Big C, Makro, 7-11 and the internet taking ever larger market share. Forabee is an outlier example of a retailer hopelessly out of touch with the marketplace forces at play here, the growing sophistication of consumers, and the power of social media. But let's not get our panties in a twist over this, gentlemen; the truth is that things have improved considerably here over the past 10 years.

But please, for goodness' sake, let's not forget that these changes were forced by competition, not because Western businesses have inherently higher ethical standards. Things weren't all that different one hundred years ago back home, examples of unscrupulous pricing can still be found all over the world, and market forces are going to put a stop to these practices soon enough, so I don't see much point in getting worked up over isolated cases such as this. Just vote with your feet. The message will be received soon enough.

Excellent post and perspective but frankly, you are attempting to downplay and defend the indefensible.

If you read Thai, and were standing next to a foreigner and saw they were about to pay the 456 Baht for this honey, but you KNEW the Thai signage said less and had no bearing on nationality of the customers, what would you do?

I'd say it took twenty posts then.

More than I expected actually. A lot of effort went into writing that post too.....

I'd say it took twenty posts then.

More than I expected actually. A lot of effort went into writing that post too.....

Your OP lead in question slipped my mind completely. Good one! laugh.png

Seems a few concerned foreigners poked Forabee in the eye on Facebook and got a lame excuse, and a retraction of the signs removal of the offending price gouge scheme. See link and comments therein, top of the page.

So much for the passive apologist strategy of voting with feet and waiting for market forces to fix the problem. passifier.gif

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fora-Bee-Products/548620785186715

Edited by 55Jay