Man has foot blown off blown off by a Khmer Rouge mine near Thai-Cambodia border

webfact

Man has foot blown off blown off by a Khmer Rouge mine near Thai-Cambodia border
Thaivisa Reporters

mine.jpg
Image: Khaosod

TRAT:-- A man clearing grass in a rubber plantation on the Thai Cambodian border near Trat had his foot blown off by a Khmer Rouge mine on Monday, reports Thaivisa News.

Unable to treat the man on the Cambodian side of the border locals asked the Thai authorities for help with the victim, a 38 year old man called Nan.

He was taken to hospital in Trat on the Thai side of the border.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-29

I wonder how many 1000 of these mines are still laying around Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Thailand. You would think each country,

would have mapped out the locations ?

Are you joking,? Who do you think marked all these mines on what map?

How do we know it was a Khmer Rouge mine? And soalbundy, I'm sure the victim's family would appreciate your comment - what a despicable piece of work you are...even for a barstool commando.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

I don't do bar stools but i try to look at the positive side of life. I don't suppose he is bothered about whether the mine was from the khmer rouge or not, it certainly wasn't manufactured by them.

If you visit some of the Army Ranger camps along the border they have displays of retrieved khmer rouge weapons and mines. It's all chinese/russian munitions. There's still a lot of unexploded mines all along the border.

If you visit some of the Army Ranger camps along the border they have displays of retrieved khmer rouge weapons and mines. It's all chinese/russian munitions. There's still a lot of unexploded mines all along the border.

I believe Italy does a nice range out of plastic that can't be detected by mine sweepers

HISTORY

Landmines were laid in Cambodia during the ousting of the Khmer Rouge in 1979 and continued until its demise in 1998.

Through a series of dry season offensives in 1984-1985, the Vietnamese military drove the Khmer Rouge (and 230,000 civilians) across the border into Thailand.

To impede the return of the Khmer Rouge tens of thousands of local people were forcibly conscripted into constructing a barrier minefield along the entire 750 kilometre length of the Cambodia-Thai border. This fifth in a series of these defensive plans (Kar Korpier pram) has become known as the K5.

Further landmines were laid by State of Cambodia forces, to defend towns, villages and supply routes from attack by opposition forces. In addition, Khmer Rouge and monarchist opposition forces used landmines to protect newly won ground or to contaminate the interior of abandoned Vietnamese defensive positions.

PROBLEM

Although 50% of Cambodias minefields have now been cleared Cambodia is still one of the most landmine impacted countries in the world with over 64,000 casualties recorded since 1979 and over 25,000 amputees - the highest ratio per capita in the world.

https://www.halotrust.org/where-we-work/south-asia/cambodia/

There ought to be an international fund set up by all mine producers to pay for cases like this, there wont be but it would be a good idea, shows they care. There are still deaths from mines,British and German, around El Alamain, even after 70 years they still work.

How do we know it was a Khmer Rouge mine? And soalbundy, I'm sure the victim's family would appreciate your comment - what a despicable piece of work you are...even for a barstool commando.

I don't do bar stools but i try to look at the positive side of life. I don't suppose he is bothered about whether the mine was from the khmer rouge or not, it certainly wasn't manufactured by them.

Yes, it is a good idea to stay "positive". Especially if you are one of 1 in 290 people in Cambodia who is a land mine victim. As the article points out there are plenty on this side of the border as well. Thailand: The Land of Smiles (But Be Careful Where You ...

Information in this issue may be out of date. Click here to link to the most recent issue.

"There is a commonly held view of Thailand as a vacationer’s (edit: and retirees) haven with spectacular beaches, exotic animals, and Buddhist temples. All of these attractions can be found in Thailand. However, it is important to note that within a few hours driving distance, Thai people are living in mine-affected communities, watching neighbors lose life and limb."

post-80674-0-77130900-1459231364_thumb.j post-80674-0-93757000-1459231381_thumb.j post-80674-0-82188800-1459231427_thumb.j post-80674-0-33405100-1459231445_thumb.j post-80674-0-83899100-1459231464_thumb.j post-80674-0-35929900-1459231481_thumb.j post-80674-0-06813100-1459231499_thumb.j post-80674-0-47352800-1459231519_thumb.j

Edited by Enoon

I wonder how many 1000 of these mines are still laying around Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Thailand. You would think each country,

There are a fair few of these lying undetected today, even around the temples of Siem Reap. Ironically, they were planted by temple guards a decade or so ago, to deter the khmer rouge from coming in to loot the temples at night. They would plant the mines in the evening….then get pissed on whatever whisky they could find…and next morning forget where a few of them were. This effect has multiplied over time and now, when visiting that area, you would be remiss if you wandered off to take a piss.

yes, nice to see him being helped by the Thais. I wish Thailand would do the same for Thai's.

A manager at a 4 star hotel just told me that last week as she just returned from the funeral, one of her employees 36 year old wife (and mother of a 5 year old) had a brain aneurysm . Her husband rushed her to the local Bkk hospital but they said she could not be treated there unless he could immediately pay a 50,000 baht deposit and another 200,000 for the surgery. As it was the middle of the night and he was not thinking clear (as his boss at the hotel would have covered these costs for him) he did not think he could raise the money until morning.

He was instructed to have her sent to an upcountry hospital a couple hours away for the emergency surgery. She almost died several times on the trip. When she arrived at the upcountry hospital they were told that this hospital did not have the facility, equipment or doctor available to perform the surgery. You would think this would have all been cleared before they sent her away to be treated.

Long story short, she died. All because the hospital was more concerned about a 50,000 baht deposit. So now a little girl will grow up without a mother and a family is shattered.

I come from Canada and I could not believe that a country would let this happen to one of it's own citizens. Absolutely disgusting.

I hope the hospital gets it's ass sued off. But unlikely in TIT.

Diplomatically convenient to call it a Khmer Rouge mine as they are now out of favour.

It could just as likely be a mine laid during the period when Thailand supported the Khmer Rouge and provided safe haven and logistics support for them.

Laid by Cambodia/Vietnam to obstruct Rouge forays into Cambodia from Thailand.

Who Supported the Khmer Rouge? - Counterpunch

The History Place - Points of View: Cambodia's Twisted Path ...

Both The United States and United Nations mine clearing teams every day are at work clearing land mines left over from the 1940s and on.Because of the jungle type of terrain clearing these mines are a very slow process and will take years to do at a cost of millions of dollars. The most mines laid in South East Asia were by the French from the 1930s until 1954.The French were the best in the world at mine laying.Many in North Africa are still there.

The savings in shoes alone should pay for the OP

by your own reasoning if you had both legs blown away you would save even more money on trousers, shoes and socks.

True but lets not be greedy,there are limits. A good idea to let your buffalo wander around the field first before working in such an area.