Officials say Egyptian plane hijacked, lands in Cyprus

webfact

Officials say Egyptian plane hijacked, lands in Cyprus
HAMZA HENDAWI, Associated Press
MENELAOS HADJICOSTIS, Associated Press

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's civil aviation authority says an EgyptAir plane has been hijacked while flying from the Egyptian coastal city of Alexandria to the capital, Cairo.

A Cypriot government official says the hijacked plane landed on Tuesday morning at the airport in Larnaka and that there are suspicions of a bomb on board.

A second Cypriot official says there "seems like there's more than one hijacker." He says there have been no demands other than that police vehicles move away from the aircraft.

Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity under regulations.

The statement from the Egyptian aviation authority says the MS181 is an Airbus and that it has 55 passengers on board and five crew members.
___

Hadjicostis reported from Nicosia, Cyprus.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-29

NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) - Cypriot official: Egypt plane hijackers allow women, children to leave; some now disembarking.

We can assume they are not IS then...

Yes, was thinking the same. Most likely political. I hope everyone comes out alive (excluding hijackers)

Worrying though that they haven't made any additional demands.

The Latest:

4 foreigners, crew still on hijacked Egypt plane

CAIRO (AP) — The Latest on the hijacked EgyptAir plane that has landed in Larnaca in Cyprus. (all times local):

9:40 a.m.

EgyptAir says that four foreigners and the flight crew remain onboard a hijacked flight.

The state carrier of Egypt made the announcement Tuesday on Twitter. It said the release came after negotiations with the unidentified hijacker of the flight.

Cyprus official says 56 people on board the hijacked EgyptAir plane have been released and have left the aircraft.

Egyptian aviation authority says the flight, coded MS181, is an Airbus jet. It earlier said there were 81 passengers on board and five crew members but there are conflicting reports on those figures. It was supposed to fly from Alexandria to Cairo on Tuesday morning.

No group has claimed responsibility for the hijacking.
___

9:15 a.m.

Egypt's aviation authority says the hijacker of the Egyptian airplane forced to fly to Cyprus has claimed to have an explosives belt on him.

This is a according to a statement from the authority on Tuesday. The explosives would suggest that the hijacker is an Islamic militant. Suicide belts have been a weapon of choice for Islamic militants in the Mideast.

The plane landed in Larnaca in Cyprus after which the hijackers allowed some women and children to leave.

___

8:30 a.m.

Egypt's civil aviation authority says an EgyptAir plane has been hijacked while flying from the Egyptian coastal city of Alexandria to the capital, Cairo.

A Cypriot government official says the hijacked plane landed on Tuesday morning at the airport in Larnaka and that there are suspicions of a bomb on board.

A second Cypriot official says there "seems like there's more than one hijacker." He says there have been no demands other than that police vehicles move away from the aircraft.

Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity under regulations.

The statement from the Egyptian aviation authority says the MS181 is an Airbus and that it has 55 passengers on board and five crew members.

___

Hadjicostis reported from Nicosia, Cyprus.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-29

NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) - Cypriot official: Egypt plane hijackers allow women, children to leave; some now disembarking.

We can assume they are not IS then...

Yes, was thinking the same. Most likely political. I hope everyone comes out alive (excluding hijackers)

Worrying though that they haven't made any additional demands.

Muslim Brotherhood maybe?

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Hijacker is named as Egyptian Ibrahim Samaha.

It is being claimed that he has asked for a translator and wishes to claim asylum.

Hopefully true and there will be no loss of life.

Edited by SgtRock

Apparently his ex wife lives in Larnaca, he wants a letter delivered to her.

I thought you were joking.

It is just being reported that his wife does indeed live in Cyprus and she is on route to the airport.

It is just being reported that his wife does indeed live in Cyprus and she is on route to the airport.

Oh ye of little faith. 555

wouldn't the post be alot cheaper and less hassle ?? blink.png

Everyone has been let off the plane, he's alone.

Now when the guy shows himself let the bullets fly, no excuse to hijack aircraft, must be terrifying.

Or interrogate him to find out how be broke security........then let the bullets fly.

LARNACA, Cyprus (AP) - Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades says Egypt plane hijacking not related to "terrorism."

Indeed, it was a domestic hijacking.

Why are all these people afraid of calling a spade a spade, huh?