Need Out of Phetchabun, Hua Hin or Rayong maybe

brianwl

I need to move out of Phetchabun due to sheer boredom, among other things. I'm a retiree and have some physical limitations which interfere in such things as golf. I don't drink and have a gf, so bars are of no interest. But the beach, museums, parks, history, taking Thai classes, etc, are.

I'm considering the idea of either Hua Hin or Rayong. Been doing some reading on here about both. Rayong seems to be the lesser expensive of the 2, but it does not appear to offer much in the way of lifestyle either.

So, here's my initial questions:

1. Hua Hin/Cha-Am or Rayong?

2. Hotel recommendations either on or near (100m) the beach, decent place but inexpensive say up to 2500 THB per night?

3. What things are there to do outside of the beach and shopping?

I'm sure I'll be asking more questions once I decide which place to visit.

If you are bored in Petchabun it will be worse in Rayong. Very quiet there and not much to see or do. Hua Hin is a bit touristy and expensive plus awkward beach access. Cha am would be better. Nice place with enough to do to prevent boredom.

If you are bored in Petchabun it will be worse in Rayong. Very quiet there and not much to see or do. Hua Hin is a bit touristy and expensive plus awkward beach access. Cha am would be better. Nice place with enough to do to prevent boredom.

Great, thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about Cha-am? Maybe name some places (hotels, beaches, museums, parks, activity clubs, etc) for me to look up on the net?

Great, thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about Cha-am? Maybe name some places (hotels, beaches, museums, parks, activity clubs, etc) for me to look up on the net?

If you are a fan of museums then in general Thailand can be disappointing. There are one or two good ones here and there but none that I know of in Chaam.

One good thing about Cha am is the easy beach access. You cab even park your car on it under the trees. The beach itself is very long and shaded with trees along much of its length. Makes for a nice stroll.

There are many seafront places renting out bicycles cheapl so you can also peddle the length of it if walking is too much. At the north end of the beach there is a long fishing pier ( concrete with road ) that stretches out to sea and gives good views. Nice to watch the little trawlers coming in. Along that stretch of beach are some of Thailands best seafood restaurants. Also Chaam has several very good western eateries plus on Wednesdays there is the weekly market by the station, one of the best in Thailand. Lots of expats go there with their wives and chew the cud over a few beers.

Just outside town there is a nice Thai temple with a few caves to see plus a long staircase up. Further afield there are other attractions but you need your own transport. Gets busy with Thais on the weekends but nice and quiet weekdays. Loads of hotels to choose from according to your budget. The Nirindorn is ok for about 800 baht with nice sea facing balconies sheltered from the sun in the afternoon.

There you are .... Plenty of stuff to google.

I disagree about Cha Am. It's depressing. One soulless high rise condo after another, dirty beach, tacky beach restaurants and shops and so many houses for rent/sale. There must be a reason why so many of those side houses are on the market.

Hua Hin offers much more in terms of lifestyle, not that there is much on hand. However, HH does attract an upmarket demographic so the social activities reflect that. Also, I find HH more accessible at times, although traffic is awful.

Well folks, it has been decided. We have rented a house in Hua Hin on a month to month so that we can really look over the area.

Will be arriving HH on the 13th. Anyone wanting to meet up sometime, let me know.

Cha Am is quieter with less tourists, but the beach is not as nice I would not say, well if you take into consideration not the exact main location beach of Hua Hin (better to move a little along or go to Suan Son Beach). You might want to take a look at Prachuap town, it is close to Sam Roi Yot Nation Park among other things and a beautiful beach.

Well folks, it has been decided. We have rented a house in Hua Hin on a month to month so that we can really look over the area.

Will be arriving HH on the 13th. Anyone wanting to meet up sometime, let me know.

Just read your recent post and a pre-welcome to Hua Hin lol wai.gif You will be arriving during the start of the water madness though, keep that in mind. Things won't be standard procedure for a couple of days.