Emergency Visa

Looking for suggestions as to best option.

I've been working on Non-B visas for the last couple years to stay here with my wife. My current visa expires tomorrow.

My wife was due with the second baby in 2 weeks, but the new one came out about 2 am today. She's recovering form a c-section, and we have a little one at home. I really can't do a border run right now.

A couple years ago, I got a non-O extension at a local immigration office for 90 days. I am currently looking for a job out of Thailand. Our local immigration office is thoroughly corrupt, and, since I called them on their corruption, they have targeted both schools that I've worked at for the last 2 years.

Here are the options:

1) Request a non-O for 90 days at Satun immigration office. If they deny me, then I will go to Sadao and do a border hop.
(If I do the border hop, I will need documentation of transport arrangements out of the country at the end of 30 days, right?)

2) Just go to Sadao and do a border hop.

I've heard that Satun immigration are decent human beings, in contrast to the extortioners in our local office.

Thanks in advance.

If your wife is Thai you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit her. Normally they would want her to be with you when you apply but if you had something to prove she is in the hospital they would probably waive that.

You can only apply for the extension at the designated office for where you are living. You will also need proof of residence.

There is border crossing in Satun you could go to instead of Sadao.

• Like 1

As said obtain a medical certificate from doctor for wife indicating she can not travel - expect that would be accepted. Have her ID card and copy of marriage certificate and use TM.7 (with 4x6cm photo) to apply for 60 day extension. Perhaps take child with you to show why you can not currently leave and soften any hard feelings.

• Like 1

If your wife is Thai you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit her. Normally they would want her to be with you when you apply but if you had something to prove she is in the hospital they would probably waive that.

You can only apply for the extension at the designated office for where you are living. You will also need proof of residence.

There is border crossing in Satun you could go to instead of Sadao.

Thanks UbonJoe!

You are a wealth of information, and a saint for putting up with all the corruption here.

I won't go back to Kantang office. They are thoroughly corrupt, and a big reason why I'm leaving Thailand to work elsewhere. I'll try my luck with Satun. I know several locals who go there, even this year during the crackdown, and haven't had a problem.

If that doesn't work and I have to do a border hop, I will need documentation of transport out of the country in 30 days, right?

As said obtain a medical certificate from doctor for wife indicating she can not travel - expect that would be accepted. Have her ID card and copy of marriage certificate and use TM.7 (with 4x6cm photo) to apply for 60 day extension. Perhaps take child with you to show why you can not currently leave and soften any hard feelings.

Thanks!

Taking the toddler is a great idea. She does like to travel.

Thanks!

Taking the toddler is a great idea. She does like to travel.

The 60 day extension is available to visit children too so if you take the toddler you should have no problem getting the extension.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your advice. I took my toddler with me, and things went nearly smoothly.

The local immigration refused to accept my 90 registration by mail, but never notified me as required by the Licensing
Facilitation Act. (They called a teacher at my school to pass me a message*, but only said they would not accept ANY registration by mail.)

I quoted the law to the officers at the Satun office.

Them: Why you didn't just go in to see them?

Me: Why can't they do their job and send me written notification of their denial as required by Thai law?

Them: How can they mail you?

Me: One, they have my address on the 90 day registration form, and, two, they have an entire file on me from the last two years. Should I just start going to the Kantang office and do their job for them?

At this point, I told the officer that I refused to pay the late fine, gave my daughter to my sis-in-law, and presented my hands, saying "Go ahead, arrest me, but I refuse to pay a fine because a government officer is too lazy to do their job."

Then, sis-in-law hands her phone to immigration to speak with my wife, who told her of just a few of the previous extortion attempts and other misdeeds by the Kantang office.

They approved my stay, but charged me 1,900 bht instead of a 500 bht extension. Since I went from non-O to non-B, I guess that's legit.

Yes, I probably lost a little face, and was probably too blunt. I did try to play it cool, but I just have no f**ks left to give about Thai Immigration. The Satun officer did tell my wife that she was waiving the fine because she could tell that I was being sincere about the misdeeds of the local clown posse that passes for immigration in our province.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice. Maybe I should start a post on the Licensing Facilitation Act? The officer really listened when I told her what the law said.

*What's next, will they give a note saying "Will you be my friend? Circle one: Yes NO"

Edited by Ajahnski
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your advice. I took my toddler with me, and things went nearly smoothly.

The local immigration refused to accept my 90 registration by mail, but never notified me as required by the Licensing

Facilitation Act. (They called a teacher at my school to pass me a message*, but only said they would not accept ANY registration by mail.)

Me: Why can't they do their job and send me written notification of their denial as required by Thai law?

Me: One, they have my address on the 90 day registration form, and, two, they have an entire file on me from the last two years. Should I just start going to the Kantang office and do their job for them?

At this point, I told the officer that I refused to pay the late fine, gave my daughter to my sis-in-law, and presented my hands, saying "Go ahead, arrest me, but I refuse to pay a fine because a government officer is too lazy to do their job."

Then, sis-in-law hands her phone to immigration to speak with my wife, who told her of just a few of the previous extortion attempts and other misdeeds by the Kantang office.

They approved my stay, but charged me 1,900 bht instead of a 500 bht extension. Since I went from non-O to non-B, I guess that's legit.

Yes, I probably lost a little face, and was probably too blunt. I did try to play it cool, but I just have no f**ks left to give about Thai Immigration. The Satun officer did tell my wife that she was waiving the fine because she could tell that I was being sincere about the misdeeds of the local clown posse that passes for immigration in our province.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice. Maybe I should start a post on the Licensing Facilitation Act? The officer really listened when I told her what the law said.

*What's next, will they give a note saying "Will you be my friend? Circle one: Yes NO"

Wow you have certainly read the book on "how to win friends and influence people!

Which 500 Bht extension are you talking about ?

ALL extensions cost 1900 Bht.

• Like 1

Wow you have certainly read the book on "how to win friends and influence people!

500 bht was posted here on Thaivisa.

Link please.

It is clearly written on the TM.7 form used for any extension of stay.

NOTICE

๑. ผูขอจะตองยื่นคาขออน ํ ุญาตดวยตนเอง

APPLICATION MUST BE MADE IN PERSON.

๒. คาธรรมเนียมการยื่นคําขออนุญาต ๑๙๐๐ บาท

APPICATION FEE IS 1900 BAHT.

๓. จะไดรับการอนุญาตหรือไมก็ตาม เงินคาธรรมเนียมจะไมคืนให

WHETHER PERMISION IS GRANTED OR NOT,

APPICATION FEE IS NOT REFUNDABLE.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

In the long disant past, in the year B.E. 2522, when the Immigration Act was promulgated, the fee for an extension of stay was 500 Baht. Since then it has been increased, in two or more steps, with amendments to the Immigration Act, to the current fee of 1,900 Baht.

• Like 1

"Since then it has been increased, in two or more steps, with amendments to the Immigration Act, to the current fee of 1,900 Baht."

For some reason I think it went from 500 to 1900 without a step in between. I guess I'm getting old.

• Like 1

"Since then it has been increased, in two or more steps, with amendments to the Immigration Act, to the current fee of 1,900 Baht."

For some reason I think it went from 500 to 1900 without a step in between. I guess I'm getting old.

You were correct. The increase from 500 baht to 1,900 baht was originally intended to take effect 26 August 2003, but was finally introduced 1 January 2004.

I hope another fourfold increase is not in the works once they have flushed out those on overstay.

• Like 1

I agree with Maestro, you have some respect in that office now.

You did good.

• Like 1

Link please.

Just a guess: he may think a border hop at Ranong is an extension.

That may have been. Also, I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off between the new baby coming 3 weeks early and making sure all my other papers were sorted. Of all the papers I needed to have sorted and copied, the one's with the king's picture were the least of my worries. Probably my mistake. I plead Nolo contendere (no contest) on that.

Edited by Ajahnski