Warning when trying to access a Bank Rate website

patekatek

Thanks for the feedback regarding my question. I did visit the XE web site and I will use that when I need a generic quote. I liked the BankRates site because of the multiple banks and their specific rate quotes. Hopefully they will get their certificate updated soon.

Thanks for the feedback regarding my question. I did visit the XE web site and I will use that when I need a generic quote. I liked the BankRates site because of the multiple banks and their specific rate quotes. Hopefully they will get their certificate updated soon.

I used it too ... easy to see the enormous differences between banksters rates and SuperRich.

I use 'daytodaydata.net' gives the top ten thai banks exchange rates regularly updated throughout the day.

I just tried this web site and I got the same security warning as I did with the one I was using.

+1

not sure why that specific link has a problem. They probably need to adjust their server settings. In the meantime, you can use this link: https://daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

There is a small form below the grid where you can send comments. I would send the link that has a problem.

Or use the contact us link. Send a donation if you think the cause is worthwhile.

The reason why this site is preferred to other sites is that (for thailand at least) DayToDayData.net actually scrape the sites of several Thai banks and store their rates on their website in an easy to compare list. It re-scrapes several times a day during the business week. Most of the other links may only use one bank or some other feed to get a rate estimate. IMO it is quite useful vs visiting each exchanger's website separately and then compiling it yourself.

Edited by 4evermaat

Why use that site? You can use the following:

xe.com or http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx#

Take notice of what your browser is telling you and if you dont do not complain if bad things happen to you

I want to see competitive rates from real banks, those two sites present neither of those things.

The SSL Cert on the site is for a different name, and the site is broken, so find another site:

bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net, shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

The warning is not a big deal, really.

Just a mismatch in domain names between the site and certificate (which shows the domain name of the hosting company). Since you're not going to type your credit card number into this site but just read information, you can safely ignore the warning.

Edited by Lannig

Posters don't seem to understand that the site(s) described in the OP list the exchange rates of ALL the banks in Thailand, not just one.

One might wonder how often you need to access exchange rates ? Is this that critical ?

Indeed no big deal.

I just checked my bookmark for this site (that I use daily).

The link I stored is for a non encrypted site (http).

No idea what the site developer has driven to fiddle with encryption for such a simple information site.

No need for that.

The certificate says:

Validated by: Let's Encrypt

? Some freebie stuff for encryption ?

I have added an exception and will continue to use it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Posters don't seem to understand that the site(s) described in the OP list the exchange rates of ALL the banks in Thailand, not just one.

One might wonder how often you need to access exchange rates ? Is this that critical ?

How often or not I (and others) need to access exchange rates is irrelevant, the fact is that I chose not to look at the rates from a single bank but instead wish to view the rates from all the banks.

EDIT to add: the site just came back for me having been told earlier that it was no more!

Edited by chiang mai

You should mention which browser you use.

Quite sure:

Firefox (45.0.1) does not accept the certificate from "Let's Encrypt" and shows the error message ( SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN).

Chrome (49.0.2623.110 m) opens the site without error and shows the certificate as valid from:

Let's Encrypt Authority X3.

Mozilla (Firefox) is named as an official sponsor of Let's Encrypt crazy.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

You should mention which browser you use.

Quite sure:

Firefox (45.0.1) does not accept the certificate from "Let's Encrypt" and shows the error message ( SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN).

Chrome (49.0.2623.110 m) opens the site without error and shows the certificate as valid from:

Let's Encrypt Authority X3.

Mozilla (Firefox) is named as an official sponsor of Let's Encrypt crazy.gif

Daytodaydata: chrome Win10 works no issues or errors

I run Win 10 Pro....I get a security certificate warning/your connection is not private warming when trying to access the site using the latest version of Chrome, IE, or Edge . And being the brave boy I am, when clicking the link in the warning to go ahead to the site anyway I then get a server error message on all three browsers....can not reach the site. Site use to work fine for me....up to a few weeks ago at least....but trying it over the last few days I get above mentioned errors.

not sure why that specific link has a problem. They probably need to adjust their server settings. In the meantime, you can use this link: https://daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

There is a small form below the grid where you can send comments. I would send the link that has a problem.

Or use the contact us link. Send a donation if you think the cause is worthwhile.

The reason why this site is preferred to other sites is that (for thailand at least) DayToDayData.net actually scrape the sites of several Thai banks and store their rates on their website in an easy to compare list. It re-scrapes several times a day during the business week. Most of the other links may only use one bank or some other feed to get a rate estimate. IMO it is quite useful vs visiting each exchanger's website separately and then compiling it yourself.

Yeap, the link you gave works for me. Works on all three of my browsers (Chrome, IE, and Edge). Thanks.

They must have changed their address from below which I had been using for years but now gives security warning/server errors.

https://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

But the link above in 4evermaat's post where the "bankexchangesrates" portion is dropped out of the website name works like a charm...guess they just changed their web address.

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...