What size are these nuts?

Happy Grumpy

Not for these old things, but for connecting the same type of hose, and same kind of blue plastic piece.

What size spanner wrench for both?

For example, size 14 and 16.

cheers.

12910344_673489959455775_1777839037_n.jp

12935262_673489946122443_971870355_n.jpg

Also, the white paste (string and paste?) that presumably seals it. Any info on that? Presumably can buy it at any hardware store at the interior plumbing section. Any name for it?

cheers.

In my experience those nuts are "adjustable spanner size".

The white stuff is PTFE tape, yes you get it from the plumbing shop.

BUT

Those flexi tubes usually have a rubber sealing washer so the tape is redundant.

The metal flex hose is almost surly 1/2" (4 hun) as that is the normal plumbing size but not sure of plastic but probably just a m/f adapter as appears wall is female for a tap. A simple pair of pliers should be all you need as these are not that tight. And as said Thai love that Teflon tape but for connections like this that have rubber washer it is not required (would be needed for the connection into wall however).

My caliper says 22 mm for the metal nut.

25 mm for the PVC stuff.

I don't even have such big wrenches.

I use an adjustable spanner to get it loose and then turn by hand.

Teflon tape is everywhere.

Different widths.

Welcome to the world of Thai plumbing tongue.png

Thai word for tape is: tape (no joke).

Just that they pronounce it like "tâyp".

Take a picture with you and even the not so smart shop assistants will understand what you want:

Tape3.JPG

The picture shows the correct direction for rolling the tape.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Same here but I call it a crescent wrench. smile.png I'm guilty of using pipe tape on any of my fixtures as the rubber seal is not always reliable, especially over time.

post-566-0-29497300-1459404207_thumb.jpg

Same here but I call it a crescent wrench. smile.png I'm guilty of using pipe tape on any of my fixtures as the rubber seal is not always reliable, especially over time.

attachicon.gifwrench.jpg

That's a right handed crescent wrench, the OP will almost certainly need a left hand wrench as stated earlier.

Nut and spanner sizes tend to be kind of flexible in this land of smiles. A bit like Thai time. whistling.gif

I have a couple of spanner sets and if I go to do a job it's a matter of trying which spanner fits not what size it is.blink.png

As suggested an adjustable spanner is the answer and I would also recommend a "molegrips" or/and a second adjustable as sometimes you will need to hold one side while turning the other.

post-35075-0-35964600-1459405861_thumb.j

smile.png

I use a combination of the teflon tape and silicone sealant because the tape does not necessarily tighten up where you need thing to stop. The sealant allows you to stop where you want the fitting. Curing time applies though.

attachicon.gifwrench.jpg

The Aussies call it a slider.

The Dutch call it a Bahco (after the brand), same as a box cutter is known as a Stanley knife.

Tool terms do vary - surprised nobody mentioned the "molegrips" as had never heard that term in Americas - we call them vice grips and normally reserve for 'vice' type use (to hold parts together when gluing and such). Water pump pliers would be my tool of choice for simple bathroom nuts. 2801773.jpg

Vise grips come in several different sizes and various jaw designs, from the most common flat middle size ones to long-nose and best of all for the topic of this thread are the curved pipe-wrench versions. The latter will really give a strong grip but probably better for steel pipe because likely to strip plastic threads.

attachicon.gifwrench.jpg

no, they don't! they call it a 'shifter spanner'. a 'slider'???? when did you leave?

by the looks of it the metal fitting protruding from the wall has leaked for some time. go easy on that one, you might end up having to open the wall to change that.

also, connections between metal and poly tend to get cross - threaded. this is aggravated by the use of teflon tape.

your flexy pipe should incorporate a neoprene (rubber) washer that eliminates sealer tape, and if you are of reasonable physical strength 'hand tight' will do.

The issue is some connections here are not blunt and will just cut into any rubber washer - for those you must use tape or other means - but with most you can just use washer - but I tend to make it a bit more than hand tight using my 50-60 psi (4 bar) system.

The PTFE tape on this type of connection is unnecessary. The seal is made solely by the rubber washer in the fitting. If the rubber washer fails to seal, the water will leak from the back of the nut, ie. between the nut and the flexible hose, where there is no seal.

Some flexible hoses have a plastic nut tightener incorporated into them, which indicates, correctly, that finger tight is sufficient to seal the rubber washer.

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifwrench.jpg

That's a right handed crescent wrench, the OP will almost certainly need a left hand wrench as stated earlier.

Left handed is almost impossible to buy in Thailand, probably a back-order of 5 / 6 months, money up front of course.

attachicon.gifwrench.jpg

I'm an Aussie and for 60+ years I've called it a shifter, or if I wanted to be very technical I would specify adjustable spanner -- they are also extremely handy for removing the hexagon from bolt heads and nuts and making then round. They come in various sizes and are used depending on how much damage you need to do.