Petchabun governor defends felling of roadside trees in Lom Sak district

webfact

Governor defends felling of roadside trees in Lom Sak district

1930785_1080665035329355_647219517421245

PETCHABUN: -- Petchabun provincial governor Bundhit Theveethivarak defends the cutting down roadside trees which have formed a natural tunnel to the appreciation of tourists and visitors to Lom Sak district as a must for the economic development of the province and the east-west corridor.

The governor’s defence of the chopping down of the matured trees – many of them several decades old – along both sides of Highway 12 from Lom Sak to Chumpae starting from the Por Khum Pha Muang statue intersection to Lom Sak construction centre was in response to angry netizens who cried foul against the destruction of what is reputed to be a tourist attraction of the province.

Mr Bundhit explained on Thursday that Highway 12 which forms part of the Asian highway is an economic route connecting the eastern and western regions which is crucial to the economic development of the regions.

He insisted that the cutting down of the trees was in line with the government’s economic and social development policy.

The governor said that there are both positive and negative aspects regarding the road development and he urged the opponents against the logging to look at public interest as a whole.

He further said that the felled trees would be replaced with trees about 10-20 years old which will not take too long for the environment to be restored.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157710

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-31

The felling of the tress can be justified if "Highway 12 which forms part of the Asian highway is an economic route connecting the eastern and western regions which is crucial to the economic development of the regions" is to be widened (on both sides) in this area.

However, if the road is not to be widened, then the Provincial Governor is treating people as though they were fools, and Other Reasons (possibly involving corruption) are at play.

Either there is something substantial lost in the translation of what the Governor is reported to have said or he is a complete idiot. Perhaps Thai PBS will clarify since they are the broadcaster we are told to trust - actually, I don't, but here is their opportunity to prove me wrong whistling.gif

Remember the gas pipeline from Myanmar that deliberately went through the best primary rainforest available? That was to make a fortune for the individual/company who got the contract to fell the mature trees 15m to each side. At the time fingers wer being pointed in many directions including the men in green. Commercial logging of wild forest has been banned here since the 70s. The widening of the road up to Khao Yai National Park is similar. Look into who got the concession to fell, remove, process and sell the timber from this road widening and I believe you will find the motivation for this act of vandalism.

Try this scenario,The Gov gets a legit estimate on felling the trees along the road Say 2 million baht,He then gets a bid from his friend for 3 million for the same job.This is the amount he gets from the government Cuts the trees claiming an improvement to the area.He keeps 900,000 letting the two bidders divide the other 200,00.All is well.This is how "ALL" the infrastructure in Thailand is contracted.Hell do you need a new car? Lets go repair a road somewhere.

Only last week I watched in shock as these magnificent trees were being destroyed.

While Route 12 has been widened to four lanes after Lom Sak there was no suggestion this part of the road would be,in fact several new businesses line this section of road including a new PTT station.

Can't see any reason for it except personal gain.

What has happened to the wood ?

Meanwhile the rest of the area around Lom Sak continues to be destroyed by local tourists,namely Phu Tab Berk and Khao Khor.

Lom Sak will always have a place in my heart,I made it my home and started a family there,sadly that like the trees is no more and while the area certainly needs more in the way of opportunity for locals,the continued expansion and idiocy such as this will do quite the opposite.

Edited by stoneyboy

• 11 months later...
On 3/31/2016 at 1:59 PM, webfact said:

He further said that the felled trees would be replaced with trees about 10-20 years old which will not take too long for the environment to be restored.

It's one year later. Can someone by chance do some fact checking and provide a photo showing the new trees that were promised (or lack thereof)?