Buying US Dollars in Ubon Ratchathani

gerry1953

I tried buying USD for a trip in April to Vietnam as I was told the Thai Baht was either not accepted or given a poor rate. Could anyone suggest a financial institution or currency exchange office in Ubon I could purchase USD. I tried at my own K Bank in Amnat Charoen and they will exchange USD to baht but won't sell any to customers? They also would not bring any in from other centers around Thailand. Thanks.

There is a Khrung Thai currency exchange office on Chayangkul Rd beside the Khrung Thai Bank. It is across from Market 6, If going south from Amnat is is a just south of Rajabhat University on the left hand side of Chayangkul. They exchange a variety of currencies so would have USD or VND if you want to go that route. Can decide if it is better to buy USD and exchange in country or buy VND here before you go.

Bangkok: "Vasu Currency Exchange" located on Sukhumvit Road in the Nana area. Plenty of USD at the best rates. FYI: The Thai baht is welcome in Vietnam and the exchange rate is almost exactly what the USD exchanges for. I have been to Vietnam many many times and have never had any problem exchanging Baht for Dong.

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression Thai baht was not popular to exchange in Vietnam and when it was accepted got poor rates. It has been 15 years since I travelled thru Vietnam so I have no recent experience so I may be wrong.

I would prefer to take large baht notes as I know each time you exchange currencies you simply lose more money. I have used the Vasu exchange in Bangkok many times but am flying into Don Mueang then straight on to Hanoi.

I do carry my ATM card for emergencies but always feel better with cash - just in case the card gets "eaten" at an inappropriate time? Thanks again.

Edited by gerry1953

Going to VN next week. Will get some currency in Pattaya; which is more acceptable $ or dong?

Depends how big your wallet is.$ would be easier and if you don't spend the lot,can easily bring back.What's wrong with using ATM card.

Going to VN next week. Will get some currency in Pattaya; which is more acceptable $ or dong?

The US bucks are still king of the hill....I did use my ATM just for fun and it all workd out great, just don't bring back any dong....most spots in LOS do not like to exchange for them...:-(

Thank you - I have it all sorted out now. I tried the Bangkok Bank in my city as posters seemed to be successful with them in Ubon and I got new crisp $100 US notes. I still find it odd my K Bank will exchange US dollars for baht but refuses to sell US dollars to their customers? I will supplement that with 1000 baht notes which apparently is readily accepted in Hanoi banks, exchange booths and gold shops. I will back that up with ATM bank cards in case of emergencies or not sticking to budget.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Asheron but I quit reading my thread after I left on my trip to Vietnam.  Often here in Thailand policies at banks, businesses and government agencies are not consistent even at the same bank and we just have to get used to it or go crazy.