Irrigation Canal Polluted by Waste

webfact

Irrigation Canal Polluted by Waste
by CityNews

----------------------------------------

CityNews – 30th March 2016, Director of Mae Teang Irrigation Department Rangsit Jansiripitikul, Deputy Mayor of Chang Phueak Boontum Srikhummoon and other officials gathered at the Phucome Hotel Junction to discuss levels of waste in the Irrigation Canal.

The Mae Taeng Irrigation Department is responsible for this waterway, but the problem areas fall into the Chang Peuk Sub-District.

Authorities say that the levels of pollution in the water was recently measured showing that there was only 0.49 milligrams of oxygen per litre at the Phucome Junction, far short of healthy levels of 2.0 millgrams per litre.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/irrigation-canal-polluted-by-waste/

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/irrigation-canal-polluted-by-waste/

The canals have been like this for 15 years to my knowledge. No change. Lovely sight for tourists!

I can't remember the name of the small canal in CM heading towards the Night Market but I have been told by locals its nothing more than an open sewer, certainly smells and looks like one,heaven knows when that finishes up maybe in the Ping.

The canals have been like this for 15 years to my knowledge. No change. Lovely sight for tourists!

I can't remember the name of the small canal in CM heading towards the Night Market but I have been told by locals its nothing more than an open sewer, certainly smells and looks like one,heaven knows when that finishes up maybe in the Ping.

Same applies to the one that runs from Hang Dong Rd (near Tesco Lotus) and spills into the Ping ... always black and frothy as runs out at Pa Daet (adjacent the little market on River Rd).

Same applies to the one that runs from Hang Dong Rd (near Tesco Lotus) and spills into the Ping ... always black and frothy as runs out at Pa Daet (adjacent the little market on River Rd).
Anyone who eats fish from the farms south of where Rob is talking about, good luck,mostly sold at the road side BBQ's

And people catch adn EAT the fish. OMG. This is why NO SEAFOOD for me here unless it is IMPORTED and NOT from Vietnam or sourced or PACKAGED in Thailand

I thought the headline was going to lead to a story about industrial waste type pollution. But with the lack of any rain the low oxygen level can be quickly caused by rotting vegetation alone. It also happens in rice paddy if there is along gap between rain falls and exchange of water.

But it reminds me of the events about 2 years back when hundreds of fish went belly up in a resevoir that is for the local village water supply.

Never heard as to cause. But did note that early every morning local Govt. employees with large buckets were sent to collect the dead fish.

No surprise if the bigger ones ended up on a roadside bbq stand .sad.png