Move To Koh Samui?

Hi,

I am looking to move to thailand with my family and buy a business, Koh Samui is currently top of the list for my wife and daughter. Can anyone give me any advice either on list or off list as to the suitablility of the Island. I have a few ideas for a business but I will initially look for and small bar or Internet cafe. Ideally I would like to know about the cost of living and in particular accommodation costs.(2 or 3 bedroom nice house or apartment.)

Any Information you con supply would be appreciated

Sheeesh, don't you think they have enough bars and internet cafes?

Have you looked into the educational opportunities for your daughter?

How many times have you visited Samui?

The cost of living can vary, of course, to your standard of living.

You can rent a basic bungalow for as little as 4000 baht per month or a multi bedroomed house for 20,000 baht

PM Elfe for more detailed housing costs.

Thanks for the reply,

>>>Sheeesh, don't you think they have enough bars and internet cafes?<<<

I don't doubt it for a minute, I am under no illusion that a bar would be a gold mine, it doesn't need to be ,it doesn't even need to make a profit (but it would obviously be nice if it did). A bar\cafe is an excellent method of making contacts and learning how thai business practices work without risking huge amounts of capital. Any investments in bars/or cafes will be money i can afford to lose and will not impact in any way on money we have for daily living.

>>>Have you looked into the educational opportunities for your daughter?

Yes, due to the current lack of an international school on Koh Samui we'll be utilising a private tutor and a curriculm set by her local school here In the Uk.

Once again thanks for the reply

You should come over and have a look around if

you are interested in opening a bar or cafe as

there are lots of places now up for lease.

You will need to set up a thai company if your wife

is not thai. Then you will need to pay key money

upfront for your bar and then your monthly rent

on top. Make sure you read your contract carefuly

before agreeing to everything, alot of my friends have

been shafted.

Good luck, it's a beautiful island but I fear that in a few

years there is going to be too many houses and bungalows

for rent and not enough people to fill them.

Tourists seem to be coming here less and less.

hi Trackbikes,

as noodles already mentioned, if you consider Samui for your place to live and run a business, it's best to come here first for a shorter trip and collect info direct on the island. There are lots of bars for sale and also other shops. In the main tourist areas it won't be cheap, as well as your accomodation. If you choose a place a bit further off the 'beaten track' there are quite a few houses in your range starting from around 10 000 baht a month.

As your plans are still quite vague, i would recommend to check out the situation by yourself. make sure you won't have to rely completely on your business profits, considering low seasons and other 'unpredictable incidents'. Also you could contact sunbelt on this forum for detailed business advice.

good luck! :o

• 3 weeks later...

There are currently a couple of internet cafes up for sale and there are always bars for sale here.

On the school front Dulwich International College appears to be going ahead in the south of the island. St Joseph's in Na Thon is pretty good as well. Depending on how old your daugther is there is (or was last year) some 'alternative' school run for younger farang children on Chaweng lake road. I don't really now much about it just someone mentioned it to me once.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Santi Thani for 6 months or so and was round about on the island for just under a year.

Things aren't as they appear.

The telephone/internet in Santi Thani was horrible. Down at least every day and slow when it was up.

Water is a major problem.

I had made an offer on the house I was renting ( prematurely I might add) for what in my opinion was pretty good money ( 100,000.00US cash). The offer was rejected and I am really really happy about that in retrospect.

Good luck

Rgrds

Mr Vietnam :o

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon a nice two room place will cost upwards of 12k per mth

if you are fussy they can run to 30k in the falang compounds with pool etc.

Be careful with businesses ,like anywhere they are never what they seem.

You need to look at how much you want to invest,many people buy themselves a job they dont want and cant sell.

I suggest unless you are in the 2m baht category you may be better of just losing a mill in the first year in lving expenses and having a very good look.

Samui has become very expensive in the last couple of years.

>>>Have you looked into the educational opportunities for your daughter?

Yes, due to the current lack of an international school on Koh Samui we'll be utilising a private tutor and a curriculm set by her local school here In the Uk.

Once again thanks for the reply

If you check out what's for sale on the island you will see that many people sell their business to go back home because they want to give their children a proper education. You're willingly endangering the future of your daughter by this move.... :o