Thai drinks seller shows the milk of human kindness to tourists in distress

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Sir. But remember, always carry a short length of steel pipe to slip over the end of the wheel wrench for extra leverage. Most wheel nuts are tightened with a pneumatic wheel wrench. I hope you have many customers for your drinks.

I hope they offered to buy him a nice lunch or dinner and gave him him the money to go and enjoy it to appreciate his assistance..

I know the Royal Thai Police (RTP) come in for a bit of flak here, but let me tell you my only experience with them having driven 30,000km all over Thailand.

A few months back, I got a puncture in Ayutthaya and stopped at the side of the road to change the tire. Located directly behind my parked car were 2 policeman sitting in a truck. After removing my suitcase from the boot, I started to take out the spare, when I was approached by the police. Without saying a word, they examined the flat tire, smiled, and started to help me change the wheel. Scorching-hot day, and all three of us were drenched in sweat fairly quickly, but they changed the wheel for me, and put the spare and my luggage back in the car.

A drinks vendor about 10 metres away watched the proceedings and then came running over with 3 bottles of ice-cold water for us. He refused payment, and returned a few moment later with a bucket of water for us to wash our hands in. The 2 policemen were so kind and polite, and even gave me directions to where to get the puncture repaired.

After reading all the tales of woe here, this incident caused me to re-evaluate the veracity of one of the generally-held perceptions on TV. There are a lot of kind-hearted and altruistic people in this world, and I was very happy to have met 3 of them in Thailand.

And to pre-empt any sarky comments here; no, I don't work for TATtongue.png

why is it even making news, surely this is what any decent human being would do , theyre just trying to cover the darker side of thai peoples greed,corruption,double pricing, racism etc etc etc ..........

thats the way i see it coffee1.gif

"thats the way i see it"

Spoken like a true hypocrite

What you fail to see is that accusing a whole people, in this case "thai peoples" of being greedy and corrupt, is in itself a racist comment\attitude. Well done!

I wonder why there were no tools in the car, pretty stupid if you ask me. I thought thay every car come with a jack and basic tools to replace a flat tire. Am I missing something here?

No you are not missing anything - they were, a jack and a wheel brace.

Yes every car is supplied from new with a jack and a brace - but sometimes they get lost for one reason or another.

I don't think you can rightly accuse these tourists of stupidity...

Most likely this would have been a hire car, or otherwise borrowed - do you always check under the mat to see if the spare and tools are all there and in good order? Or perhaps you pack such items in your suitcase before you go on holiday just in case you're supplied with a car not fully equipped?

April Fools!

Very subtle, ThaiVisa! ALMOST!

Thanks, I was wondering when and what it would be.

This was indeed a great gesture from a Thai to a farang.Pity it does not get more usual.I say that cos it has made the front page in sensationalism for doing something quite ordinary.I have done this sort of thing many times in NZ and had it done to me also.I have actually made new friends over silly incidents like this.I remember towing a guy home a couple of K in the middle of the afternoon and offered beer til nearly 1am !!!!!! He became a good mate and we met occasionally at each others home,BBQ beer that sort of thing with both families.I suppose the bottom line really is,I wish this sort of thing happened more often or if it does I wish it was more reported. Perhaps if it was we would not regard it as something to shout about and who knows it may start to bring our two peoples closer together,and I hope I am not dreamingwai.gifwai2.gif

Well done Sir. But remember, always carry a short length of steel pipe to slip over the end of the wheel wrench for extra leverage. Most wheel nuts are tightened with a pneumatic wheel wrench. I hope you have many customers for your drinks.

I hope they offered to buy him a nice lunch or dinner and gave him him the money to go and enjoy it to appreciate his assistance..

I doubt they would have. Just sound like useless farangs who can't even change a tyre. Says a lot about their upbringing.

TAT promotion? It's hilarious

If nothing good to say why not <deleted>

Agree, a Thai helping a tourist changing a flat tyre should be world news. He should get nothing less then knighthood from the British queen

Where is CNN when you need them.

I wonder why there were no tools in the car, pretty stupid if you ask me. I thought thay every car come with a jack and basic tools to replace a flat tire. Am I missing something here?

No you are not missing anything - they were, a jack and a wheel brace.

Yes every car is supplied from new with a jack and a brace - but sometimes they get lost for one reason or another.

I don't think you can rightly accuse these tourists of stupidity...

Most likely this would have been a hire car, or otherwise borrowed - do you always check under the mat to see if the spare and tools are all there and in good order? Or perhaps you pack such items in your suitcase before you go on holiday just in case you're supplied with a car not fully equipped?

Back home everything is in order in my car and I never rented a car with anything missing. I don't know which country you are from but if you rent a car with the basic tools missing, you should move to a more civilized country or change rental company. When I come to Thailand for my 6 month holiday, I have a car at my disposal that I bought for my Thai wife and I thought her how to replace a flat tire in case she had too and I bought an air compressor to use if she had to, pretty smart hey, so I don't feel bad at all for anybody who leaves without emergency equipment. I have been driving for over 50 years and 1,000,000 +kms and never needed any help from nobody (touch wood) for anything. Maybe she just wanted to feel this guy, you know what, by the look at the picture. So there you go, any more smart comments, bring them on, I have a few more answers

I wonder if he'd been there to help if it was a car full of dudes?

Why not? I'm a male and have received help from Thais on several occasions.

So have I. The proportion of nice and helpful people in this country is, I would suggest, the same as anywhere else (same goes for *ssholes, bullies, and selfish jerks). Alwyn's post reveals something about himself, not about Thai people.

Farangs do help to screw them. gigglem.gifgigglem.gifgigglem.gif But unfortunately we are not good enough to make the news, because we are not Thai's. whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Your tight nuts could easily make the news. But only if you develop a little bit more self esteem. facepalm.gif

Why not? I'm a male and have received help from Thais on several occasions.

So have I. The proportion of nice and helpful people in this country is, I would suggest, the same as anywhere else (same goes for *ssholes, bullies, and selfish jerks). Alwyn's post reveals something about himself, not about Thai people.

<yawn>

The point is he helped a tourist and that is to be commended. Stop trying to pull every decent act down

You don't know me yet make presumptions about me. I'm probably one of the least Thai bashing people in this forum. I would have asked the question in any country but there again, no other country I know of would make a headline about a person helping somebody else change a wheel. No other country I know of has lame-o expats living in it that would feel the need to jump all over a comment like I'd made in presumption I was commenting on the locals and not males in general on a banter basis. Get a life and stop necking Chang in your local village shop.

Archived