Can we use documents in Thai for UK visa?

Applying for a UK visa for my girlfriend to come visit England with me. She has some things to submit like proof of owning an apartment but it's in Thai. Along with some other things like some of her families information.

Is it ok that some documents are in Thai? or does EVERYTHING need to be in English?

Many thanks!

The UKVI do advise that supporting documents not in English or Welsh should be accompanied by a translation.

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office.

Each translated document must contain:

• confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document 
  • the date of the translation 
  • the translator's full name and signature 
  • the translator's contact details

There have been reports that some evidence has been provided in Thai and a visa has been issued, but those are the guidelines and its a chance you take.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/visitor-visa-guide-to-supporting-documents

• Like 2

I would suggest you hire an agent if you need help with such basic questions

You mean basic questions like the one you asked here?

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

So you suggesting he get all his docs translated from Thai into Welsh?

You've made a fool of yourself already in this topic; as you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, please go away.

• Like 2

I would suggest you hire an agent if you need help with such basic questions

You mean basic questions like the one you asked here?

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

So you suggesting he get all his docs translated from Thai into Welsh?

You've made a fool of yourself already in this topic; as you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, please go away.

OP needs some help it's obvious

Only what happened to me, but both my partners chanote and tabien ban were not translated and there were no issues.

As theoldgit says, anecdotal evidence shows that official documents, such as those you mention, have been acceptable without translations.

For others, such as employers letters, I strongly recommend getting a translation.

Officially, this can be into English or Welsh, but I doubt that many translation bureaux in Thailand could translate them into Welsh; even if there is a Welsh speaker stationed in the entry clearance office at Bangkok! So I recommend English.

Only what happened to me, but both my partners chanote and tabien ban were not translated and there were no issues.

As theoldgit says, anecdotal evidence shows that official documents, such as those you mention, have been acceptable without translations.

For others, such as employers letters, I strongly recommend getting a translation.

Officially, this can be into English or Welsh, but I doubt that many translation bureaux in Thailand could translate them into Welsh; even if there is a Welsh speaker stationed in the entry clearance office at Bangkok! So I recommend English.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Documents like employer letter, bank info, sponsor letter, and most things are in English. It's just a few things in Thai like her son's birth certificate, ownership of her apartment, families ID cards.

Documents like employer letter, bank info, sponsor letter, and most things are in English. It's just a few things in Thai like her son's birth certificate, ownership of her apartment, families ID cards.

Is her son travelling on the proposed trip, or is she using her son as a reason to return?

Why is she intending to submit copies of the families ID cards?

Is her son travelling on the proposed trip, or is she using her son as a reason to return?

Why is she intending to submit copies of the families ID cards?

She's using her son for one of the reasons to return.

Not sure about her families ID and what they might help for, but we've got them just in case.

She's using her son for one of the reasons to return.

Not sure about her families ID and what they might help for, but we've got them just in case.

As the details of her son on his ID are in English, and thus satisfy the requirements of the UKVI, there is really no need to go to the expense of getting it translated.

I can seen no reason why her families ID's need to be submitted as I can't see what their inclusion would add to her application.

Don't take the risk, get everything properly translated into English. I recently applied for a new British passport with a TOT letter showing my name and address. The TOT letter was in Thai AND English but was refused by the British Consulate in Bangkok. I was able to get a translation of my address from Thai to English and I had to get it properly authenticated by the Translation Service who charged me B400 for the privilege.

But this was better than having a failed application.

If the British Authorities want documents to help them process the application, I think they will want to read them! If I was an Official I wouldn't accept in Thai because I can't possibly check properly that the document satisfies the requirements.

Surely that is reasonable! Some Thais understand English but very few English understand Thai, let alone official documents

Don't take the risk, get everything properly translated into English. I recently applied for a new British passport with a TOT letter showing my name and address. The TOT letter was in Thai AND English but was refused by the British Consulate in Bangkok. I was able to get a translation of my address from Thai to English and I had to get it properly authenticated by the Translation Service who charged me B400 for the privilege.

I doubt very much if the evidence of your address was refused by the British Consulate, Consular staff have no input into passport applications, this function is contracted out to VFS staff.

This thread is about visa applications, decision makers are based within the UKVI which itself is within the Embassy, whilst you're right about getting everything translated, as I and others have already said, I doubt very much if the TOT bill in Thai and English would be rejected, but nor would it be needed.

• Like 1

I doubt very much if the evidence of your address was refused by the British Consulate, Consular staff have no input into passport applications, this function is contracted out to VFS staff.

This thread is about visa applications, decision makers are based within the UKVI which itself is within the Embassy, whilst you're right about getting everything translated, as I and others have already said, I doubt very much if the TOT bill in Thai and English would be rejected, but nor would it be needed.

I am talking about the Office in Trendy Building. Maybe it isn't the British Consulate proper but it IS the British representation of where I had to apply for my new passport. You can doubt it as much as you like. I don't recall you being with me when it WAS rejected. This thread is about the need for Thai documents being translated and my contribution relates to the possibility of rejection when documents are NOT translated. This risk is eliminated when they ARE translated.

Edited by theoldgit
Quote fixed

I've had 4 successful uk visitor visas for my TGF. We have never translated any Thai documents. These include land & house papers & her work contract. However, our supporting documents do include a letter in English from my Thai employer.

I've had 4 successful uk visitor visas for my TGF. We have never translated any Thai documents. These include land & house papers & her work contract. However, our supporting documents do include a letter in English from my Thai employer.

I believe you, no problem but there are many threads on here every week about SOME Offices and SOME Officers at SOME time wanting or not wanting something and some things being accepted and sometimes rejected or unnecessary I will argue that if important documents are required one can avoid the potential of rejection and be on the safe side by having them translated.

I am talking about the Office in Trendy Building. Maybe it isn't the British Consulate proper but it IS the British representation of where I had to apply for my new passport. You can doubt it as much as you like. I don't recall you being with me when it WAS rejected. This thread is about the need for Thai documents being translated and my contribution relates to the possibility of rejection when documents are NOT translated. This risk is eliminated when they ARE translated.

Of course I wasn't with you when you submitted your passport application, what a bizarre statement.

You have posted your comments in the Visa Forum, and as such your remarks about a passport application isn't relevant.

As I, and others, have said a number of times, all relevant supporting evidence not in English should be translated when submitting a visa application, a TOT bill isn't relevant for a visa application and shouldn't even be submitted.

Just to make things clear, all important supporting documents like work contract, letters, etc., are in English. Just a few other documents that I thought may be useful to submit are in Thai;

Indeed and you did make that point clear when you asked the question.

Whilst it's of course important to ensure the applicant submits a robust application and sufficient evidence to satisfy the decision maker that the application is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant will leave the UK at the conclusion of the visit, it's also a good idea not to overwhelm them, they only have a very short time to consider the application and the supporting evidence and reach a decision, so try not to overwhelm them with too much unnecessary evidence, there is a danger that important evidence could get missed.

Off course it's your application, or rather your wife's, so you must decide what is relevant to satisfy the ECO and what you're considering adding because it might be useful.

For instance in list of documents that the UKVI specifically say shouldn't be submitted includes sponsor’s utility bills, I know you're not suggesting that you do but it's indicative of the advice they give to applicants.

Of course I wasn't with you when you submitted your passport application, what a bizarre statement.

You have posted your comments in the Visa Forum, and as such your remarks about a passport application isn't relevant.

As I, and others, have said a number of times, all relevant supporting evidence not in English should be translated when submitting a visa application, a TOT bill isn't relevant for a visa application and shouldn't even be submitted.

So you don't have any reason to doubt that my document was rejected. You could only seriously doubt what I said if you had been with me. Of course, you don't see the point of my subtle remark. My post isn't about a passport application, it is about documents in Thai being translated for ready acceptance. I use it as an example because, even though I was told my document would be OK, it wasn't because it wasn't officially translated and authenticated. My TOT Internet statement is an acceptable document for some purposes that shows my residence which is not too dissimilar from that of the OP.

I stand by the relevance of my remarks!

For the first couple of visa applications that the GF's submitted we spent money unnecessarily on translations. The only thing we actually needed translated was the GFs divorce papers. Probably wasted quite a few thousand baht on items that were not needed. The same thing applied to her birth certificate. I was told we needed it for her to get married in the UK. Two days to find it, five days posting from Isaan to Bangkok, over a thousand baht to get it translated. We don't need it.

Documents like employer letter, bank info, sponsor letter, and most things are in English.

Note that the visa section may phone the signatory of any supporting letter to confirm the details. If the letter is written in English they will expect to speak to the signatory in English and may doubt the authenticity of the letter if that person is unable to do so!

If the letter is written in Thai, with an English translation, then they will be happy to speak to the signatory in Thai.

No, this is not an April fool!

You obviously haven't read theoldgit's post (post 2) which contains a link to and quote from the official UKVI guidance.

Some British staff working in the visa sections in British embassy's may speak the local language, but most of them don't. That's why they employ interpreters!

Now, one may ask why those interpreters can't check all untranslated documents; and that is a good question.

I imagine, though, that having them do so would increase the workload and so increase processing times as each application would have to wait it's turn to have the documents translated before being passed on to an entry clearance officer and interviews, face to face or by phone, would also have to be scheduled at times when the interpreters aren't translating documents.

One may say employ more interpreters/translators. Such an increase in staff would increase costs and so increase visa fees, which are high enough already, to cover the extra costs.

Certainly quicker and probably cheaper to have the applicant translate documents before submission.