Why Thailand sell red onions and garlic sold separate from other vegetables?

Gecko123

Is this some sort of allium apartheid?

I think red onions and garlic happier next to other vegetables.

Really bother me kept separate. Not natural.

And what about white onions and scallions?

Why they not sold together with red onions and garlic? Instead sell with eggs.

Chicken egg. Duck egg. Red onion. Garlic. Not make sense.

Why Thai people discriminate against red onions and garlic like this?

Not fair.

Red onions and garlic deserve better than this.

Very confusing for farangs too.

'Snail White' Onions always have preference in Thailand.

Red Onions and other darker skinned alliums (ever seen the sad state of affairs for Shallots !) are simply lower caste and will never socially integrate with 'white' vegetables.

When I first came to Thailand in 1997 I lived in Samui. The market in Chaweng across form what is now Starbucks discriminated against eggs. They were in the hardware section next to the hammers. I guess that they were either hard to crack or that was where the Thai restocking clerk was when it was time for her break, I choose the later!

Just curious if anyone knows the historical origins of the practice of selling red onions and garlic separately from other veggies.

Just to blow a hold in the theory...the Fresh Market in the Mall ha Phra has bags of garlic sitting right next to bags of yellow onions and GASP......very near the Japanese Yams and Bok Choy !!!!!!!!

Just curious if anyone knows the historical origins of the practice of selling red onions and garlic separately from other veggies.

Just to blow a hold in the theory...the Fresh Market in the Mall ha Phra has bags of garlic sitting right next to bags of yellow onions and GASP......very near the Japanese Yams and Bok Choy !!!!!!!!

Sure…Makro, Big C, other supermarkets do this, but at every open air talaat nat I've ever been to there's a separate vendor for the red onions and garlic.

Any ideas on how or why this practice arose?

Sure…Makro, Big C, other supermarkets do this, but at every open air talaat nat I've ever been to there's a separate vendor for the red onions and garlic.

Any ideas on how or why this practice arose?

Perhaps the vendor for red onions and garlic is also the grower of them and that is all he grows and therefore sells. Other farmers grow different crops and may sell to a full veg seller at the market.

My wife orders banana for me at the local market from a lady who only sells bananas.

Pork sellers only sell pork while beef sellers only sell beef. Exactly the same for the fresh chicken sellers yet the cooked chicken sellers are at a different stall.

Back in the UK a butcher would sell meat of all kinds at one shop.

I once saw a tin of beans next to tins of Aphabetti Spaghetti in a Sainsbury's in the UK, I was furious, ******* furious I tell you.....I wrote to the director General of the BBC and a stiff letter to the Times....didn't work though......an absolute disgrace. And you think Thailand has it bad......

Ask the TG and she said, "Good question!"

Explained to me:

The reason is the difference between dry things and fresh things. That's the reason. You don't need to know anymore. They don't mix them in the local markets because...they just don't.

If this is still bothering you...think too mush.

Ask the TG and she said, "Good question!"

Explained to me:

The reason is the difference between dry things and fresh things. That's the reason. You don't need to know anymore. They don't mix them in the local markets because...they just don't.

If this is still bothering you...think too mush.

Thanks.

I got the same dry/fresh answer from my garlic vendor this afternoon. It may have something to do with storage. Onions and garlic need to be stored in a cool, dark and dry space but separate from other foods because of their strong odors.