Public Shows Of Affection?

Just curious to see what other people think.

Today in our local public swimming pool which was packed with people, a farang and his Thai girlfriend started heavily kissing and cuddling while standing in the pool. Let's just say it was quite passionate.

Now I don't live anywhere near Pattaya or BKK where it is the norm to see this sort of thing, I live in a more traditional Thai cultural area where behaviour seems to be a lot more reserved, in fact a world away from what you would expect to see down Soi Cowboy or Nana.

Now don't get me wrong, I am no prude, I have no personal comment and I was totally unaffected by this, but it was apparent that many of the locals were not seeing it my way and were gossiping like crazy.. The place was full of Thai kids and they were just stopped and staring non stop totally agog at obviously something they have never seen before.

My wife commented that the show did not exactly go down too well, and most were complaining more about the Thai girl and how could she do that here. But in the good old Thai way, nobody said a word directly to the couple.

I have to say in 6 years I have never seen Thais do that outside of the usual fleshpots.

Should farangs be a bit more conservative in their attitudes while in very public places in very consevative areas?.... Like I said, I am no prude but I guess I would not do that because I am a more of a 'when in Rome' person, out of respect for the local culture.

A time and a place for everything.

What are your views on this?

Edited by Brewster67

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time the country stood up and took heed,with a visible sex industry for both locals and foreigners how can someone kissing be such a problem.

Typical Thai way,rather than focus on the real issues,let's make an example out of people who commit no crime.

This is evident from the recent problems at the Bangkok motor show.

You see the problem is no ones making any coin from the odd foreigner kissing in a swimming pool so that's perceived to be wrong.

Shagging bar girls and visiting go go bars is fine though because that keeps the coffers full.

Thailand is the HUB of double standards.

END OF.

It's about time the country stood up and took heed,with a visible sex industry for both locals and foreigners how can someone kissing be such a problem.

Typical Thai way,rather than focus on the real issues,let's make an example out of people who commit no crime.

This is evident from the recent problems at the Bangkok motor show.

You see the problem is no ones making any coin from the odd foreigner kissing in a swimming pool so that's perceived to be wrong.

Shagging bar girls and visiting go go bars is fine though because that keeps the coffers full.

Thailand is the HUB of double standards.

END OF.

Nobody was making an example of these two, but they were definitely not happy about it.

I can not agree with your assessment. The very tiny minority who are raking it in with sexualisation gimmicks or outright prostitution are exactly that.... A tiny minority.

What about the 99.9% who are NOT raking in money from this and want to preserve their cultural attitudes??

You see.... You jumped straight onto the the defense of the foreigner and 'F*** the locals' attitude to boot.

There is a huge difference between the sex trade, massive car manufacturers and local people taking their children to the swimming pool.

I just asked my wife if we take out the farang and this were two Thai people, would it be any different, she said.... 'No same.... should not do that here'.

Edited by Brewster67

You say his GF was Thai, yet you ask whether "farangs" need to be more conservative. Seriously? If anything.... Her country....her responsibility.

People can do what they want. Times are changing as well. The younger Thais are not the conservative bunch from a generation ago. I see young Thai kids (high school age) in BKK getting all lovey and touchy all the time. Remember, Thailand does have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Asia.

I probably would not go all heavy like that (in a pool of all places) with my wife. But if someone else does, I am not going to waste a minute of my life worrying about it.

Just remember, Thailand is not the conservative paradise that the tourism authorities want you to believe it is......

Edited by inbangkok

Thais do not like that sort of behavior out in public, it`s bad etiquette in Thai culture.

Most Thais don't give a da_mn. They mind their own business.

I was staying in a rural village near Korat with an Issan princess I met in Pattaya, a while back.

She was sitting on my lap stroking my hair, Auntie came up to her and said, we don't behave like that in our village.

My princess snapped back, if you don't want your food and booze paid for, we can stay with another relative.

Suddenly the problem want away.

Edited by BritManToo

. Remember, Thailand does have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Asia.

I have read somewhere that Thailand is second, the first is Laos

times are changing, but I agree with the OP, they should be more discreet ; personnaly I have never seen it in Thailand , but I don't live in farangs tourist places and I am not prude

even in my western country, you don't see it all the time in the streets

Thais do not like that sort of behavior out in public, it`s bad etiquette in Thai culture.

I was staying in a rural village near Korat with an Issan princess I met in Pattaya, a while back.

She was sitting on my lap stroking my hair, Auntie came up to her and said, we don't behave like that in our village.

My princess snapped back, if you don't want your food and booze paid for, we can stay with another relative.

Sounds like a real gem of a girl.

. Remember, Thailand does have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Asia.

I have read somewhere that Thailand is second, the first is Laos

times are changing, but I agree with the OP, they should be more discreet ; personnaly I have never seen it in Thailand , but I don't live in farangs tourist places and I am not prude

even in my western country, you don't see it all the time in the streets

Even if Thailand is number 2, still speaks wonders......

Unless you consider all of BKK a "farang tourist place", as mentioned, I see behavior like this quite often. Obviously upcountry will be more conservative (all small towns are compared to cities). But this specific instance seems like a bit of an outlier in how graphic it was.

However, this is truly not stuff people need to worry themselves with. The angry parents should redirect their manufactured outrage at teaching their kid what a condom is...... Much better use of time..... This is part of the problem with Thai society as a whole. People LOVE passing judgement and thumbing their nose at others while their own personal /family life is a damn joke and their 14 year old illiterate daughter is about to become another statistic.

Well that shows shameful disrespect on two separate levels and just makes me want to puke that people like you and you bargirl think you can foist your behaviour on other people because you think you have the power to pay for it?

That is a very arrogant post.

You see someone asking for a bit of polite consideration and you see that as a 'problem'.... Thak about arrogant farangs, no wonder the masses of decent Thais are starting to dislike us.

Well that shows shameful disrespect on two separate levels and just makes me want to puke that people like you and you bargirl think you can foist your behaviour on other people because you think you have the power to pay for it?

You see someone asking for a bit of polite consideration and you see that as a 'problem'.... Thak about arrogant farangs, no wonder the masses of decent Thais are starting to dislike us.

less of the us please

No disrespect or shameful behaviour from me, I wasn't involved in any part of the conversation, Farang doesn't speak Thai, as far as they knew. I'm just another Buffalo with a fat wallet.

Edited by BritManToo

Issan princess. I suppose that`s one way to describe them.

I'm with the OP on this. First of all when in Rome...

I'd be disturbed by this kind of behaviour anywhere in the world to be honest, with exception to sex tourism destinations.The odd peck on the cheek or a hand hold I don't see as being all that bad, but even that's a no-no.

When I had a rural pub in the UK most punters did not appreciate it if a couple were tonsil dancing.

Edited by kayo

The ironic thing is some no doubts and by no means NOT all of these people who are witnessing this outrageous public show of affection are the same mothers and fathers who have packed off their daughters to Pattaya to find a Farang.

True ya know.

The ironic thing is some no doubts and by no means NOT all of these people who are witnessing this outrageous public show of affection are the same mothers and fathers who have packed off their daughters to Pattaya to find a Farang.

True ya know.

But at least they dont have to see what their daughters are doing.

I see young Thai kids (high school age) in BKK getting all lovey and touchy all the time. Remember, Thailand does have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Asia.

You hardly ever see young Thais in BKK doing anything like the OP is talking about and if Thai kids were really getting down to it in a regular public place they would very quickly be told. And that is irrelevant to the issue of teenage pregnancy anyway. The times are certainly changing but young Thais are still generally not making out in public.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I see young Thai kids (high school age) in BKK getting all lovey and touchy all the time. Remember, Thailand does have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Asia.

You hardly ever see young Thais in BKK doing anything like the OP is talking about and if Thai kids were really getting down to it in a regular public place they would very quickly be told. And that is irrelevant to the issue of teenage pregnancy anyway. The times are certainly changing but young Thais are still generally not making out in public.

Right, I must be lying.... Lol Edited by inbangkok

Bad etiquette anywhere besides the bedroom.

I agree it may be bad etiquette. But so is smoking and using toothpicks at the table...... Thais seem to have no problem with that though.......

Right, I must be lying.... Lol

I don't think you're lying. You just need to a look a bit deeper and not through you own cultural perspective.

I live in a very popular place near the beach, Thai people ( mostly from Bangkok ) come here every week end, thousands of them, I have never seen what the OP describes , even during the last 40 years when I first travelled here ; the only Thai girl I kissed on the mouth in public was a prostitute in Pattaya biggrin.png

but what is true is that Thai girls have sexual intercourses very early and the guys don't like to put a condom, but it's not the subject of the thread ( how to behave in public )

Right, I must be lying.... Lol

I don't think you're lying. You just need to a look a bit deeper and not through you own cultural perspective.

Now you are acting silly. My cultural perspective has nothing to do with what I witness with my own eyes in BKK..... Get real!