SURVEY: Should drunk drivers have license revoked and vehicle impounded?

Scott

SURVEY: Drunk drivers, what to do?  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A man I know well was arrested for drink driving last week, guess what.. he was banned from driving for 6 months, he was also fined and given a suspended sentence.

He did spend some time in a cell.

Its up to the judge what to do in such cases, its not up to voters on a forum.

Its also worth mentioning that initially the officer that stopped him suggested a 300 baht "tip" to let him go on his way, he declined to pay the tip and by the time a more senior officer was involved it was too late.

A lot needs to be done to eradicate corrupt police... the only way is to punish them and their superiors hard.

Drink driving should be a mandatory court appearance.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever drastic measures are to be introduced, if there is no consistent enforcement and follow-through, is nothing but hot air.

Civilized countries suspend the driver licence for some months together with fine and emprisonment, depending on the case and concentration of alcohol in blood.

Confiscation of car is useless.

I think they should spend some time in a jail cell.

This forum would be very quiet if they enforced that rule, keep in mind that 2 beers in a hour considers you're drunk at an alcohol test.

Which means you shouldn't be driving.

I wouldn't even drive after one beer. Booze and cars don't mix.

I take it from your previous posts that you don't even have a car, but is so easy to make statements from behind a keyboard, just to make yourself sound interesting on a forum.

I want to see the number of people, and then I mean in the West as well as in Thailand, that leave their car behind to get home after the second beer only.

This forum would be very quiet if they enforced that rule, keep in mind that 2 beers in a hour considers you're drunk at an alcohol test.

I take it from your previous posts that you don't even have a car, but is so easy to make statements from behind a keyboard, just to make yourself sound interesting on a forum.

I want to see the number of people, and then I mean in the West as well as in Thailand, that leave their car behind to get home after the second beer only.

I don't have a car here. I do in the UK, and have done for many years.

If I know I'm going to be drinking, I wouldn't take my car with me in the first place.

For sure take away the drunk-drivers license. However, impounding the vehicle can be a severe hardship for the entire family, not just the drunk driver ... e.g., someone needs to get to work; doing food shopping; kids need to be taken to school; etc.

Totally agree....a persons care for there Family and livelihood should always be taken into account...Slainte

For sure take away the drunk-drivers license. However, impounding the vehicle can be a severe hardship for the entire family, not just the drunk driver ... e.g., someone needs to get to work; doing food shopping; kids need to be taken to school; etc.

Totally agree....a persons care for there Family and livelihood should always be taken into account...Slainte

It's a shame that other family members will be inconvenienced because of the selfish actions of a drunk-driver, but he/she should of thought of all the consequencies before endangering other people with an out-of-control pick-up/car/motorcycle. The shopping will always get done, and the kids will always get to school; I see a motorcycle and sidecar every morning with about 10-12 kids on a school run. The culprits need to learn - The Hard Way. Then, maybe the roads will be a lot safer.

If I know I'm going to be drinking, I wouldn't take my car with me in the first place.

But then there are those days where you don't plan during breakfast that by coincidence you may meet a friend somewhere at the end of the day and have 2 beers.

Thailand is still in the same culture that my father came from. He was drinking and driving back when it wasn't seen as a problem, and carried on doing what he'd always done even when awareness was raised on the subject.

People here grew up with being able to drink and drive, it may be a few generations before the message gets across, meanwhile Thais with the same mindset as my dad will carry on... until the police get their act together and start enforcing the law.

I think any farang letting their kids get on the back of a pick up truck should be deported.

I think pick up truck should be banned during this holiday that had gone crazy. When I moved here in 1985 it was only crazy farang in Khao San Road that did the nonsense that happens today.

What should be the equal penalty for a Thai?

Personally I like the idea of mandatory penalties better. In ontario they have a mandatory that the just must assign. There is leeway in that the peson if they can prove that it willaffect their job and put undohardship on the family can serve it on weekends.

They alsolose their license for 6 months first shot.

Here lke others have said a lot of drivers do not have licentses. Therefore the solution is to take away the vehicle. If people know and it does not take long for word to get arund that

If you blow .06 you lose the car for 24 hours.

.06 - .08 they lose it for 48 hours

if over .08 -.1 lose it for a week

.08 lose the car of a month

ans so on it will be a big deterent.

By the way the fact that the cars are owned by financial companies so people willnot care and it will hurt the finance company is BS. Most cars in every country are owned by a bank and that does not stop them from taking away the car just adds an extra penalty as they still have to pay the loan even though they don't get the use of the car.

Drunk drivers typically in any civilized country get arrested, car subsequently impounded and license is revoked and criminal complaints are filed. In most places in the world you risk a felony for doing so especially more than one time. So I have no idea

Scott, what is your opinion on the subject?

You can get more than ten years in prison for your third offense. Scott with all due respect makes a plethora of polls designed to make stupid people react.

Where is the "No, of course not. It's not like taking away a DL suddenly makes you incapable of driving a vehicle and we know already know that many people either don't have one, won it in the lottery or shouldn't have gotten one in the first place, but that hasn't stopped people from driving. And because impounding will equal to not steep enough of a dent into the pocket, why bother because the lesson just won't stick. BUT....why don't you just ban alcohol sales on holidays, that sounds alot more sound and reasonable to the people in charge" option?

Ban them from driving and take their car for at least 6 months,,No good for banning to sell alcohol on the holidays that only hurts the responsible people ,,,Why tar everyone with the same Brush?,,,

This thought and conversation was slightly amusing. This is Thailand aka LOS aka Lack of Sanctions aks Land of Scams. The power in Thailand doesn't care - about anything but personal wealth. It's like a game of musical chairs played over and over and over. Nauseating. It will remain the same for at least the next 100 years. I would love to see it change but that's an impossibility.

Where is the "No, of course not. It's not like taking away a DL suddenly makes you incapable of driving a vehicle and we know already know that many people either don't have one, won it in the lottery or shouldn't have gotten one in the first place, but that hasn't stopped people from driving. And because impounding will equal to not steep enough of a dent into the pocket, why bother because the lesson just won't stick. BUT....why don't you just ban alcohol sales on holidays, that sounds alot more sound and reasonable to the people in charge" option?

Just as silly an idea,smart drunks will stock up before hand.

The survey is useless - since a no, respectively other alternatives are missing.

Impounding the vehicle sounds kind of funny, because in Thailand most cars and a lot of bikes are financed.

How about reporting recurring offenders to the financing companies and banning them from ever financing any vehicle again? Financing companies who still support offenders who were reported to them by the RTP (easy to do with a nation wide database) lose their license. In addition, recurring offenders are restricted from registering vehicles. That would hurt them the most and have serious, and long lasting impact.

I however fear that if the above would be implemented, more than half of Thailand would be on foot... smile.png

"The survey is useless - since a no, respectively other alternatives are missing."

Most of these surveys are written poorly. They rarely correlate well to the implication of the heading. It's like asking "Do you still beat your wife" and then only accepting yes or no answers.

I don't suppose many people would vote for "no" in this case, but it should be an option or at least "other" should be available. Of course, most of these surveys don't purport to obtain useful information for any other purpose than to stir the pot.

Careful,i got a holiday for revolutionary talk like that.

Beers are not forced on you,you know.You made a decision to drink after you took your car out.If i am going out for a drink,no car. I f i take the car out,no drink.It's not rocket science chums.

Pity the piss heads don't think of that earlier.Drunk,dead father dies in car accident and leaves his family potless.

Beers are not forced on you,you know.You made a decision to drink after you took your car out.If i am going out for a drink,no car. I f i take the car out,no drink.It's not rocket science chums.

Do you consider yourself intoxicated and unable after 2, and I mean just 2, beers in about an hour?

But then there are those days where you don't plan during breakfast that by coincidence you may meet a friend somewhere at the end of the day and have 2 beers.

Then either leave the car where it is, or have a soft drink instead of a beer.

So I take it that after only TWO regular beers in 60 minutes you refuse to drive the car and will take a taxi, and never in your life previously have you driven a car after having only TWO beers Right?

Edited by TheCruncher

So I take it that after only TWO regular beers in 60 minutes you refuse to drive the car and will take a taxi. Right?

I wouldn't have taken my car with me in the first place.

So I take it that after only TWO regular beers in 60 minutes you refuse to drive the car and will take a taxi. Right?

I wouldn't have taken my car with me in the first place.

You change the subject. It was said that the meeting was unplanned.

And please also kindly answer my second question, which you have missed because I edited the post.

never in your life previously have you driven a car after having only TWO beers Right?

No. I don't drink and drive.

If for some reason I did have my car with me and ended up in a pub, I'd just order a coke or something.

It's not exactly rocket science this, is it?

Why you refuse to answer my question, and just talk around it?

never in your life previously have you driven a car after having only TWO beers Right?

What question am I refusing to answer?

Like I said - no. I don't drink and drive. Never have. Never will.

I'm not sure where you think this little interrogation is going.

The fact alone that you refuse a simple question proves that you are just a keyboard warrior.

Over and out